Co8 New Content: Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay thanks, I'll have to look at that damn wall thing more closely then.

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Small, goofy suggestion, but can the giant boar in the SW corner (and those boars on the MR) give a treasure of "Piece of Meat" like the innkeeper's wife sells. Then you could sell it to her for a nominal cost. Kinda like the wolf pelts in KOTB.

3. Gaear

She's not a buyer though, and there's no setting for 'buy meat only' anyway, so she'd be buying armor and scrolls and everything else too. ;)

(Humorously, Jenna in Verbobonc did that at one time.)

4. General Ghoul

How about the barkeep in Nulb, doesn't he buy things?

5. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

As a more recent report, I just completed Hickory Branch playing 5.9.2 NC.

Met Noblig, he gave his speech and vanished. I then romped through the entire map, killing every mob without talk-giving leaders around. I steered clear of every speech-giver just by looking at their descriptions (Gnoll leader, Orc lieutenant etc.) and giving them a wide berth by sneaking around.

After accomplishing this, I traveled to Hommlet to rest and resupply. Had a random encounter on the way. Rested in the inn, then walked back to HB, again had an encounter on the way. I then sweeped the rest of the map, now encountering all the leader monsters and their quite well-written speeches. I finished my sweep at the cave entrance, which was without a wall. Apparently Noblig doesn't have enough authority to begin sealing the cave ;)

Had the fight with the orc NPCs supported by two casters. It was a tough, well-composed battle which gave a very good challenge to my four level 7 characters. Beat them down without fatalities, though. I then looted them and kind of missed Boonthag and her famous haunches...

...but it did occur to me that they seemed a bit weaker than the bunch inside the cave, so they might try an ambush - so I healed up and moved with speed so most of my buffs were still on when I encountered them outside the cave. They were a bit of a pushover, but had I not guessed they might be there waiting I would have probably ran straight into them.

All in all, the new Hickory Branch proved to be a very pleasurable experience, with enough challenge and rewards, such as some well-written dialogue (always a pleasure), loot and decent experience points.

Some notes:
    -The Helm of Midnight is only worth a few GP plus change. Not sufficient for a magical item that gives two +2 skill bonuses (the proper worth should be around 800GP).
    -Some explanation why there is a Stoneskin-equipped Fiendish Minotaur lurking in their basement and why it has so valuable loot.
    -The mob fights are spot on. They are challenging enough to be entertaining, but the opponents are eventually found wanting, emphasizing the boss battles very well.
    -Most of the loot gathered from HB is quite well suited for most parties romping through this monster-infested piece of countryside.

6. General Ghoul

I always thought the minotaur was the true leader of the HB factions, he brought them together for his own purposes. It would be nice to include a dialogue with him so he can go off on his evil plans, that you have twarted by taking out his minions.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Not sure if there is room there or worth modding, but maybe adding a couple more fiendish critters to give that battle with the Minotaur just a tad more challenge. But I agree that if that bull headed blowhard had some words to go along with his slashing slaughter would be cool.

8. Gaear

I guess. Somehow I just don't see him buying meat from you though. Maybe if there was a butcher in the game somewhere this would be more of a 'get er done' moment. ;)

@Azured, thanks for the feedback.

Dokolb makes reference to the minotaur. I always had the impression that it was more a mystical creature than their instrument or leader, maybe even something that was trapped down there and they didn't entirely understand.

Has anybody seen Noblig's ghost in 5.9.2?

9. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I have not and I believe that ghost has finally been exorcised! :)

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What? Did somone try to add a plot to HB? Thats completely out of keeping with the original author's vision!
    Ooo, pelts from the one, meat from the other.... I like the way you think.

General Ghoul: Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find something in ToEE that has a model - a shield, an axe, a gem, whatever - that can be remeshed as a ham hock. Or a side of pork. Or ribs. Or whatever. Think outside the box - KotB has wine tuns that are remeshed bards' drums. Think like that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  11. General Ghoul

There already is one, doesn't the innkeeper's wife in Homlett sell one? I think she offers 3 kinds of ale and a side of meat.

I'll check when I get home later today.

12. Shiningted

No, your right - remesh the meat and we have a whole side of pork. Good man! :thumbsup:

13. Gaear

Yep - krunch, wherever he is, is rolling his eyes in exasperation. ;)

14. General Ghoul

Remesh that fur cloak and you have your pelts. Now I want an Owlbear feather.

15. Shiningted

Eh? We have feathers in the game (the quills) - are Owlbear feathers a material component or something?

Our Host!