Co8 New Content: Arena of Heroes

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I managed to replicate the problem and tested the fix. Still, it wouldn't hurt to verify that it works in your case.

If it isn't too much hassle, and since you already downloaded 7zip, you can zip into multiple files constrained by size. It's right click -> 7zip -> Add to archive... , and write 390000 in the "split" field. But if it doesn't work, no biggy, and thanks for the involvement!

2. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

I also have competed fight 3 and have no arena master appearing. I even tried killing the undead wizard I had commanded, and while another group showed up and got killed, still not arena master.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Which modpack version are you using?

4. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

@ Deuxhero - A problem I had in 6.0 was that. What it is, is the master won't spawn after you've finished a round until you back away from his spawn point. So have your party all move to the other side of the arena and he should spawn.

5. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

The newest one.

I'll try that Winston.

edit: Nope, doesn't work.

6. Gaear

@deuxhero, without delving too far into it, I rather suspect that commanding the undead wizard had some unfavorable impact on scripting. If you have an earlier save, I'd go back and not command him.

7. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

I do, the problem is that having that go off was so key to winning.

I guess I'll level up and make some stuff.

8. Dreddnawt

Dreddnawt Mettlehead

^ I'll pm you some strategy tips to win that easily.

9. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

Just won and the master appeared this time, and as for the reward, am I missing something?
    It's a
    +1 Mithral tower shield
    nothing special at all.

From the early posts in this topic I expected something well... unique, at least something with a backstory, but it isn't even usable by ANY party I've been through ToEE with (Sword and Board being worthless). Even in terms of GP, the gems on the giants were worth more.

Hell, the horn of fog at the start of this quest is more useful!

10. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Last I checked that was the only Mithril tower shield in the game, but I could be wrong.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Haha, you jest, good sir! I soloed the game with a S&B character, and that shield is pretty wicked when you craft it up. Though I suppose if getting your AC so high that even the Balor has trouble hitting you counts for nothing, then yeah, it's "worthless".

12. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Best combo for that shield is either a dwarf with a dwarven hand axe or a half orc fighter or barb with that and a giant cleaver or something similar. The shield is great on my cleric too. Makes him into a tank that cannot be hit.

13. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

Compared to extra power attack/strength or using 2 handed weapons? Yes, 5 AC isn't that impressive.

If you really wanted to, you could solo the base game with just about any build: ToEE isn't that hard a game.

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I guess it comes down to your playstyle and build choice. I've had very few parties that didn't benefit from the shield one way or another.

Regardless of your preferences, though, it's the best shield available in the game, if that doesn't make it a unique item, then I don't know what would.

15. Gaear

Also we've long been trying to get away from uber loot (which you don't do by adding another +5 shield of awesomeness), both because ToEE has too much already and because Greyhawk is supposed to be restrained as far as that goes. As with everything in ToEE, it will be better suited for some players than others.

I've never really been moved by the notion that everything has to be catered to the individual, because sometimes things just don't work out your way. I actually rather like that in a game. It reflects reality without taking you out of the fantasy.

Our Host!