Co8 Mod Pack 4.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Nov 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Am I correct in deducing that there's no way to add custom files (voices, specifically) to a module once its been "Toffee-ized?"

My problem is this:

If I initialize 4.0.0 through Toffee and then try to add custom voice files to the sound\speech\pcvoice folder, Toffee complains about the changed folders and won't run afterword. If I add the custom audio files first to data\sound\speech\pcvoice and then run Toffee and launch the module, the custom files are exiled to the non 4.0.0 folder and are not used with the module.

Am I correct about this or am I missing something?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Gaear - try this...

1) Open ToEEFE, and select the default module - then quit.
    2) download the PC voice controll files (if you haven't already) and find the data folder contained within it and open it.
    3) select all files, right click and select copy. Then go back to the ToEE folder and open the data.co8_4.0.0 file.
    4) paste the control files here. (do the same with the voice files themselves too).
    5) open toffee, and select the Co8 4.0.0 mod and start the game.

good luck dude.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Geaer, and everyone else, before installing any add on mod to a Toffee mod, you have to "unload" the mod before you install. You can do this two ways. One is by deactivating the module through the button in Toffee. The second is to start the unmodded version of ToEE with Toffee, and then quit the game. Then anything from the addon mod that has a path name that starts with the data/ ..... goes in data.<mod name>/ ..... (i.e. data.Co8-4.0.0/ .....) instead, and any path name that starts modules/ToEE/ .... goes into modules/ <mod name>/ ..... (i.e. modules/Co8-4.0.0/ .....) instead. This does mean that you will have to unzip the addon mod into a folder first, and then manually copy and paste the files following the paths for each file. For example, Ted's PC Voices has a pcvoice.mes file that unzips into the data/mes folder. You need to copy this file to the data.Co8-4.0.0/mes folder. I hope this is clear.

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

So, XP is still weird. Started a LG game and my 5 characters only netted 126XP each from killing the 3 CR 1 bandits. It should have been 180 XP [CR1=300XP. 300x3=900. 900/5=180.) So something funky is definitely going on.

5. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Ted, I was very impressed with this little addition when I first saw it. And yes, the black widows were a big nasty surprise at a really bad time. You're eeeeeevil! I assume you used pre-existing protos.tab entries for the fiendish spiders, but are the black widows new?

To prevent them from attacking each other (and for that matter, Lareth, should they happen to get close enough), what about setting them to Lareth's faction in column 154? Lareth and the various guardsmen in the previous room are set to 15. If you used pre-existing mobs, and they're used elsewhere in the game, it would probably involve creating new protos.tab lines for a new set of spiders.

Feh. I'm comfortable fiddling with Phalzyr's protos editor. I'll see if I can get this to work properly in my game, or if I'm just blowing smoke. I'll post again when I'm done.

In any event, this is probably just a work-around, since the problem seems to occur with all summoned creatures. I don't really understand the scripting system, and I haven't looked into spell editing at all. What are the possibilities that scripting from within summoning spells could be an overall solution?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

That solution has been suggested b4 (credit where its due) but by all means try it Gwythur and let us know what happens, and good thinking - I wouldn't have come up with that! O and the Black Widders are in there, they're from that Spider room in the Temple (lvl 1 or 2 for memory. Hate that room.)

@8500HC: just take the option to install without Desperate Housewives if you only want bug fixes. There'll be a couple new quests but they are natural extensions of the game, nothing that feels out of place.

7. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Well, Ted, my solution appears to work. I did not create new creatures, but simply gave the spiders in question (protos entries 14397, 14398, 14620, and 14417, from Lareth's python script) faction 15. Originally, I had planned to start a new game and play to this point, but I got bored, so I hacked up a test character, gave her a ring of invisibility, and ran her through the moathouse invisibly. I gave Lareth a whack or two until he called on Lolth, and then watched what happened.

With faction 15, the spiders integrate seamlessly into the battle. They did not attack each other. They did not attack any of the guardsmen. They did not attack Lareth. They did, of course, attack the PC.

I think we have a successful work-around here. Hope this helps.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Shweet, well done! Can't think of why that would cause problems with any other spiders in the game either.

9. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Well, the only worry I had was that some of those spiders are summonable. I don't know how it would affect summons if they had Lareth's faction. Would they be automatically hostile? Or perhaps hostile in that single battle? I'll do some more playtesting tomorrow after work.

10. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

heya can smeone post the fixed protos..

did it myself it seems to work great

nice add on ted..

ill test out summon side effects

btw its so nice to be playing a game that doesnt crash..

has a nice feel and neat touches instead of the mess atari foisted off on us

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just made some changes to the protos files and frontend wont start. I get the critical start-up error message. Can I fix this without a re-install?

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You did close the files properly didn't you? Frontend won't start if something else is accessing the game files.

13. Trinten

Trinten Member

Hi Guys,

Running XP w/ SP1. Installed the 2nd patch from Atari (it installed without prompting for the first patch), then installed the Mod. When I try to launch the Front End, I get "The Application failed to intialize properly (0xc000135). Click on OK to terminate the application." -- the heading for this error window is Templefrontend.exe -- though I'm sure this was self-evident.

Upon getting this, I uninstalled the mod, then the game, then reinstalled the game, Patch 2, then the mod. Same thing.
    I do have the .NET Framework installed.

Any ideas?

14. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I'm not entirely sure what is going on here. That error code is not in the list Agetian provided me. You say you have .NET installed, but don't mention which version. Front End requires v1.1 or higher (though apparently it doesn't work with 2.0 beta, but it does work with the latest release of 2.0). You can check which version you have by going to Add/Remove programs in the control panel and scrolling down until you find .NET framework.

Shortly there will be a thread dedicated to Front End bugs exclusively.

[Edit] I spoke with Agetian, and that error code most likely means you do not have a compatable version of .NET. You should upgrade to 1.1 or 2.0 (but not 2.0 beta).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'm in the temple now. Party just hit 8th level.

Woah! Who pumped up the Greater Temple Bugbear leaders in level 3 of the Temple? :yikes: Those guys are mean now!

Of course, they also give a crapload of XP.:mrhappy: I got a full level's worth fighting them, the bugbears in the room to the right and the ogres in the upper left.

Tasha's Laughter seems to be bugged against giants (and so far only giants.) When you cast it on any giant (Hill Giant, Ogre, Ettin, etc.) it doesn't add your ability modifier to the DC. Everything else I've cast it at so far saves against the correct DC.

Scorrp's CR is listed as 2 now! I checked the protos.tab and his CR entry is missing, so the game is only using his fighter levels to calculate XP.

I had an unpleasant surprise when I bought Lesser Bracers of Archery for my Rogue and tried to equip a longbow. She was still not proficient. WTF? Under the previous patches the bracers granted proficiency like they're supposed to. The bracers do still give their +1 to hit to people who are proficient, though, so they're not completely busted. Any idea why this was changed or was it a goof?

ETA: Someone upthread mentioned a new merchant in Nulb who sells asian weapons. Where is this guy?

Our Host!