Co8 Mod Pack 4.0.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Nov 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'll be around. Not sure how much, but around.

I'm guessing Liv never returned after her disappearance to finish up her mod 2.0? I wonder if the crazy ToEE code finally caused her brain to explode.:yikes:

Okay. So I just cleared the moathouse. Lareth calling for support took me by surprise. Oddly, they attacked each other, though, so I'm not sure that was the effect people were going for.

The real kicker was the additional "help" that hit me on the way out the door over-burdened with loot. They actually attacked me instead of each other and I spent the fight going "Oh crap, oh crap" worried that my over-encumbered and battered characters were going to get their butts handed to them.

So mucho cool points for that.

One oddity, and I'm not sure if it's new or something I never noticed before, but my characters only got 170XP each for defeating Lareth. Lareth is CR 5, meaning he is worth 1800XP to a level 3 party. At 6 characters, they each should have gotten 300. Not sure if there's an XP dampening in effect, or I only got XP for the spiders, or what. I may have to fight him again and see if I can drop him before the break in the battle and determine if that changes the award any, unless

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Yep. But they are not scripted to fight each other. I guess it's just one of those things.

3. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

TED haha..
    i meant from the PHB 3.5 page 302 where it list effects...

hmm odd i thought the list used to include an xp bonus .. (wish for a lvl ) and a wealth thing

anyways

i suppose a wish to be made a lunch sandwhich would be an good example of a malavolent type of wish... indicative of low wis/int

4. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

If you say so. But I was looking at the script before I posted that; isn't creature 14262 a troll? (My last playthough I'd already crafted a Headband of Intellect, so it didn't come up. ) PM me with how I've misread the script if ou don't want to give anything away in a public thread.

Exactly. It's not like the design became any worse over the last few months. It was always questionable.

You can't be serious. There is an obvious difference between the two puzzles. Casting Heal is a minor subquest. This trap blocks off a major portion of the game.

Good point about combat mode. Normally I'd consider that cheating, but in this case I'll make an exception.

I think that comes to the core of our disagreement. I'm reacting to the 4.0.0 mod as if I was playing ToEE for the very first time. You react to it from the perspective of someone who's played it way too many times already.

Whe, in the end, is this mod for? Everyone, or hardcore fans who know the whole mod inside-out already?

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

It's a new random encounter and I thought, Oh, this is new and different. There is a lot of new encounters, I just thought this one was cool. No spoiler. I ain't telling who won.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Good job! You are right, creature 14262 is a troll. But if you look in the dialog file, you will see that the lines the script takes you to for creature 14262 don't have the password. It is the "else" portion of the script that takes you to the lines that have the password. There must be at least one more "something or someone else" that calls the same script, otherwise there would be no need for the "else" part. Keep digging! It took me a while to figure it out too.

It doesn't block it off, it just makes it more difficult to get too. It makes you work for it, rather than just stroll in. And I am serious. Only you really do need a cleric to cast Heal, while there are other ways around the trap.

In the end, this mod is for the people who like it. Period.

7. Cerulean the Blue

I can't really take credit for the new encounters. They were all already in the game, just never used. I just made the game use them (and fixed a few of the unfinished maps).

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

RE: Ettin & Brown Bear

If these guys are fighting, it must be a thing that wasn't intended; rather like the spiders do in the "Lolth, aid me...." situation & the elementals summoned by Senshock. This ought to be something worked on for the next release, IMO. But, it's probably hard-coded...

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

This Ettin is strolling down the road and this hungry Brown Bear jumps him and they fight it out. This party of adventurers comes along and it goes from there. What's wrong with that scenario? It doesn't seem out of place to me.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Works for me!

Sorry about the spiders, yeah they do go for each other, I just hoped people would leave some characters outside the room (and hence near them) rather than all jam in there. If you need role-playing support, remember Lolth is not at all above setting her people against each other to see who comes out on top - all part of being CE.

In any case, I much prefer a game where the critters can attack each other than one where they don't - its far more realistic. i LOVE it when the skeletons in the Meadow attack the giamt as readily as the party - why wouldn't they??? But the spiders should be fixed, if I can think of a fix I will chuck it in.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey Ted, did you add the spiders?

Yeah, that is the case. She seems to be gone never to return, like so many others. All contact attempts have failed.

Has anyone ever checked into this whole CR/XP matter? I seem to recall it was a topic of debate in the past.

12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Yeah, after I signed off I looked at the conditional and realized that I'd completely misread it. I've got it now.

The problem is the kind of work I'm doing. Exploiting game mechanics (combat mode) or absurd metagaming (recruiting a new NPC to level him as a wizard to get him to learn Fox's Cunning so he can scribe a scroll for me) isn't my idea of solving a puzzle. And I seriously doubt it's yours.

Which leaves the Interrogation method as the only method of solving the puzzle that is guaranteed to be available to all parties (unless you churn REs forever to get enough Disable Device without magical assistance). Nothing especially wrong with the implementation, except that the troll thing is actively misleading.

Then again, there's always the back door.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ummm yes I added the spiders - that encounter was available as a d/l months ago, and the subject of a blog even.

You mean u never used it? :cry:

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I must have missed that edition, though I read your blog faithfully and was fully aware of your escapades in the Borneo Jungle. ;)

Unfortunately I haven't played the game in probably six months, maybe more. I'm fixing to launch a new campaign soon with 4.0.0. though. Bugs beware!

15. 8500HC

8500HC Member

greetings to all

is this mod pack the right one if i just want a debuged version of ttoee?
    or does it add too many new features and quests? and what about new or story changing bugs out of the mod pack?
    i came to the pack as i see it includes the humble npc mod. that was what i am looking for actually! i wanted to get rid of looting npc :dead:

i never played the game further than 5 lvl 2 chars.

what does the elite suggest?

thanks

Our Host!