Co8 Higher Level Implementation

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by woolysockofdoom, Aug 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

Hey guys, I'm playing through The Temple of Elemental Evil with The Circle of Eight modpack 7.3.3, and I'm having a blast. It's a good game that's been improved by a great mod, and I'm really impressed with what you guys have done. Currently, I'm clearing the Temple Level 3 and I'm a little bit into level 10 with my group of six PCs.

I've been wondering how the rules have been implemented in The Circle of Eight for characters leveling past level 10. For instance, I know rogues get their sneak attack to do 5d6 damage at level 9, which was the cap for the original version of the game. But at level 11 it should increase to 6d6 damage for sneak attack, increasing every other level. So my question is: are these increases for sneak attack implemented? Further, is there a comprehensive list of spells, feats, and bonuses implemented for classes at higher levels in the mod?

I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere, I was digging but the best I could find was this page regarding implemented domain spells.

Edit: I remembered the list of spells in the thread The Circle of Eight Modpack Explained. However, I'm still curious about other abilities, feats, etc.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8484

It wouldn't hurt to have the information in this thread at the bottom of a faq or sticky or something about leveling past level 10.

Here are some bits from the thread:

I think, there are critical unbalances of 'over 10 level single class playing' between classes.
    Basically every class gains BAB, Saves, so these are not mentioned.
    Please check this, and tell me what you think.^^

1. Perfect!
    Paladin : High level Paladin also has great efficiency. More smite evel per day, more remove disease per week, more hit point when using lay on hands, more spells per day. There are all of his ability when he reaches 20th level.

Rogue : Sneak attack is the most powerful class feature in the game. 19th level, it deals +10d6 damage. 4 special abilities also avaible.(but I think there are some bugs...) Everything in SRD Rogue table is realized in this game.

2. no problem or not critical
    Fighter : Fighter takes total 11 class bonus feat. Some high level feats such as greater weapon specializaion, greater weapon fightning are missed, but not a critical. comparing with barbarian, Fighter is much better choice.

Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard : Weakness of these classes is just high level spells. They are fewer than original D&D 3.5. But If they have metamagic feat, they can use high level slots very usefully. Cleric can get high level turning check, Wizard gets bonus feats and spells, Sorcerer more variety of spells. And they also get bonus spells per day even highest level. They are still powerful when choose single classing.

Ranger : Only problem of this class is Combat style mastery. In toee, there are no greater two-weapon fighting and improved precise shot feat. But he can get two more favored enemy and spells. High level ranger is still powerful.(except feats). He also gets more spells per day.

3. something missing, average to use
    Druid : Druid's weakness is variety of 'Wild shape' forms. Increases wild shape per day, but after 10th level, no more high level forms. That's the problem. But they still get spells per day bonus. If he is spellcaster, not a melee fighter, That maybe a not critical problem. Wild shape

Bard : Bard's 'Inspire Courage' improves every 6 level.(+4 bonus at 20th level) But no 'Song of Freedom', 'Inspire Heroics', no benefits of high level 'Inspire Greatness'. But he get more spells known and more spells per day. Bardic ability of 10th level Bard and 20th level bard are just same. But I think his physical strength is not bad. So I think this class is average.

Monk : Monk's class features are various. After 10th level, he can get 'Greater flurry', 'Diamond Body', abundant step, diamond soul, quivering palm, ki strike(adamantine), empty body, perfect self. But the only thing that applied in game is just 'Diamond Soul'(spell resistence). But he can get other benefits of high level, such as unarmed damage(1d6~2d10), AC bonus(~+4), unarmored speed bonus(~+60ft.)
    I think he loses much, but still gets benefits. So he is average class, better than this victim...

4. critical to use, must choose multi class
    Barbarian : Yes! This is what I want to tell. Barbarian. Barbarian can get more rage per day. That's all.
    Imagine difference between barbarian and fighter! Barbarian has his own charaterisic. His battle is powerful and invulverable. He fights like burning fire. No heavy armor, No shield. Only his body and great axe! Slaughter or Death!
    But in ToEE, it's impossible, Barbarian is weak. even he is 20th level. His rage is same with 1th level's rage. Just he becomes frequently angry. He still tired after rage. And still hurts. Because he do not have 'Greater, Mighty Rage', 'Tireless Rage', and 'Damage Reduction'.

I think the worst class is Barbarian. Charisma of barbarian's battle is gone. Barbarian class is just bridge of multiclass.

So I say, "Dear honorable modders, please save these classes, Barbarian, Bard, Druid and monk!(especially Barbarian!!)" And tell me about this topic. I want to listen your opinions.

I want to ask modders respectfully, if my english is poor or impolite, please forgive me.
    "Is there any other way to realize these in Modpack? Missed high level feats(Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved precise shot), missed class features of Barbarian, Bard, Monk, Druid."

Thank you for read this.^^ Later I will study Modding, and help you if I can.(Sorry, but I'm half- computer illiterate even can't speak english well)

3. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

Thanks for the link. He covers several points that I was wondering about, plus it links to Shiningted's thread about new feats, although both threads are a few years old.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There's been basically nothing added as far as feats go for the last several years, because that's .dll level modding and we haven't had an active .dll modder in some time. Luckily Spellslinger got us to the point where, as far as I know, all classes have enough available feats to level to 20.

There haven't been any spells added in some time either, though if we eventually integrate dolio's spell overhaul, he has a few new ones mixed in.

I honestly don't know all the particulars about level stat and ability increases, but Spellslinger was generally very thorough and I suspect that all appropriate upgrades were implemented where possible. You may want to browse his .dll related threads for more information.

[edit]

Actually Spellslinger released some type of 'feat enabler' utility or something like that for higher level feats ... not really sure what the deal with that was atm.

5. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

6. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

In your installation directory, go to data/rules, then open feat.tab with Notepad or a text editor. This appears to be a list of feats with the corresponding enumeration. I learned this from this thread. Let us know if you find anything useful.

Edit: I accidentally a word.

Edit: You could also try Spellslinger's TheActivator instead, which might be a little easier to use.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Heh heh, from the first post in the thread you reference;

The tool expects a temple.dll in the same folder and the feat enum it asks for is the index in the feat.mes.

Our Host!