Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Ah, that would have to be it, thanks.

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

In 8.1.0 the spell Protection from EVIL when cast on a partymember still blocks a later casting of e.g. Aid.
    Both partymembers are good so there would be no evil to protect against...

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have found that Bless can also stop a party member from receiving the protections from other spells cast after he has bless applied.

This tend to happen more in the Temple than anywhere else.

4. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

I got hit by the spell object bug fighting the hezrou guardian in the water node. Found the fix with the cowherd, which cured my affected party member -- shouldn't all these miscellaneous fixes be in the same place? But Zaxis also got hit, and apparently there's no fix for him. This is especially annoying since the spell object is applying both Feeblemind and the stench effect every time we transition areas. (Is Feeblemind supposed to happen?) So unless I want to keep burning Heal spells he's a liability. Ah, well --- I was probably gonna kill him anyway just to get him out of the party.

I'm getting the impression that there might be something wrong with the Scather reward encounter. I'm CTDing from every other overland RE, and this one never seems to happen.

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The second aspect of the Protection from Evil spell is that it prevents the protected person from being affected by any spell of these 2 School (Sub-school) categories, regardless of the caster's alignmnet:

Enchantment (Charm)
    Enchantment (Compulsion)

Usually, this will protect you from being charmed or Tasha's Hideous Laughter. However, this protection even works against friendly spells which are also Enchantment (Compulsion) such as:

Aid
    Bless
    Heroism
    Prayer

6. ConjurerDragon

Perhaps a stupid question, but if Protection from EVIL protects against beneficial spells from GOOD spellcasters, does it also protect against attacks from good enemies?
    And "protection from GOOD" does the same as in "Protection from EVERY Alignment"?

7. ConjurerDragon

In my current 8.1.0 game in a fight I loocked at the Raven familiar of my Rogue/Sorcerer.
    I attached a jpg with the screenshot.

According to my 3.5 PHB a familars attacks should "Use the familars Dexterity OR Strength modifier, whichever is greater, to get the familiar´s melee atack bonus with natural weapons."
    The raven uses his STR bonus which is -5.
    If it would use the DEX bonus it would be +2

If it´s not possible to have familiars automatically use the higher bonus of either STR or DEX, would it then be possible to give all familiars with higher DEX than STR the "Weapon Finesse" feat (which allows to use the DEX bonus instead of the STR bonus only with light weapons and natural weapons are considered light weapons).

Edit: And what description should appear where obj_handle_null appears?

Edit: I opened Protos.tab with ProtoED and in line 4096 found the Raven Familiar. Strangely in row 259 it already has the feat
    "Weapon Finesse (Unarmed Strike - small being)" so why is it not using the feat and still suffers the -5 to attack from using it´s STR modifier?
    Or should it be "Weapon Finesse (Claws)"?

Shouldn´t the Damage Type in row 134 not be Claws instead of Bite for a raven familiar?

Shouldn´t the "Base Reflex Save" in row 158 not be 4 instead of 2? --> forget the last sentence. A raven has 2/4/2 saves, any familiar has 2/2/0 saves according to the PHB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  8. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Somehow Zaxis' spell object thing got fixed after all. I tried going to Jaroo and the object didn't go away, but it disappeared sometime later.

I notice that Gundigoot -- and I guess everyone else -- reacts badly to Darley even if she's still in human form. It's kind of odd since she's just an ordinary sorceress at that point. I presume there's no way to fix this or someone would have done it already.

Edit: hey, why should this ever happen to Darley? Couldn't she just transform back to human appearance?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

So the best option would be to cast Protection from Evil last and the other spells first- or not to cast Protection from Evil at all?

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Do it last.

11. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I know this is a problem that has been discussed before but upon entering the shop before starting my adventure i found several items laying on the floor- I left them alone of course but I was just wondering if my game has already been screwed as I can't remember offhand if this had any other affect?

12. marc1967

Yes, do it last.

Protection from Evil stops so many mind affecting spells, it's almost unfair. I see the "Unaffected due to Protection from Evil" floater so often during encounters, I shiver to think what horrors I am missing. I see it a lot during the Balor and Zuggtmoy showdowns, but it also makes you immune to:

Sleep
    Charm/Dominate Person
    Command
    Confusion
    Crushing Despair
    Hold Person
    Tasha's Laughter
    Bless and Prayer (opponents and yours too)
    Color Spray
    and other Mind Controlling powers that a creature may have

They also prevent all damage from bodily attacks by summoned creatures like elementals, hezrou, etc.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

Or instead of being careful about when you cast Protection from Evil/Bless, you can just change all friendly spells so that they are no longer mind-affecting [http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11602]. Modifying spells is actually easier than suggested by that thread. You can generally just copy a spell file in the data/rules/spells folder and change the filename. So if you want to remove the 'mind-affecting' from heroism, just copy any touch spell, change the name so that it corresponds to heroism (SpellXXX - Heroism, where XXX is the spell number as indicated by your 'data\rules\spell_enum.mes' file), and then make whatever changes are necessary for the new spell (set the school, descriptors [without 'Mind-Affecting']), levels, etc. using the other files in that folder as a guide). Note that if you use a similar spell as your base-spell you'll only have to make minimal changes. So heroism would be identical to aid, for instance, except you would change
    Level: Clr 2
    Level: Good 2
    Level: Luck 2
    to
    Level: Brd 2
    Level: Sor 3
    Level: Wiz 3

14. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

If we're talking about rewriting soells, wouldn't it be easier to rewrite Protection from Evil's second effect to conform to RAW?

Speaking of spells, is there something wrong with Remove Fear? It doesn't seem to actually suppress fear effects.

15. marc1967

Well, what Kharagh is suggesting would require making a one-line change in each of the 5 or so "friendly" mind controlling spells. Changing the core functionality of Protection from Evil/Good/Law/Chaos to work as it is written would be a substantial change to the script of the spell and may go beyond that to an adventure in hacking into temple.dll itself. :dizzy:

It doesn't work. Similar spells such as Remove Curse and Remove Paralysis function somewhat depending on the source of the effect. Rudy and I had a discussion about this in this thread.

Our Host!