Co8 5.6.0 BETA Balance

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Oct 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Missed this earlier. Actually a vast majority of the humanoid monsters in the temple, particularly the Bugbears, have class levels already. The Greater Temple Bugbears, in particular, already have 10 levels in fighter, barbarian or rogue, if memory serves.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

If that is truly the case, then perhaps doubling hit points or perhaps giving them some powerful one use items, like maybe poison/acid globes or some of those .50 Smith & Wesson weapons. How cool would it be to see Dirty Bugbear Harry unload a .50 caliber pistol into your mage's face? Let them ogres use those javelins of lightning or their shamans cast an insect plague/creeping doom on the party. Or have one of the creatures chuck a globe of grease into the middle of the party and all the archers unload on them with bonuses to hit. Or a trap where a section of the temple collapses on the party. I'd love to see a smart 10th level rogue use a potion of invisibility, sneak around to the mage's flank and one-shot him/her with a nice friendly backstab. Or perhaps they just pick pocket a few scrolls/wands. Or perhaps the mother of all magic weapons, a soul taker. If a character is killed with it, no resurrection possible. Ya, that's the good stuff!

On a lighter note, what's the difference between a pick pocket and a peeping tom?

A pick pocket snatches watches! *rimshot* ;)

3. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Is that what passes for humor in Duluth?

4. Necroticpus

Lighten up, Francis. :yes:

But seriously folks, maybe there could be some one-use items like threadpost-globes. You throw them at a group of enemies and they are all permanently under the effects of a feeblemind until removed by a 20th level cleric of St. Cuthbert.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  5. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

It's just that it's getting moldy, Necro old bean. You're flogging a dead horse. Although I guess that's right up your street.

6. Necroticpus

I hardly even posted on here lately in the last month or more so your failing argument about a joke getting old that I've never typed out before has me in a quandry. Methinks you should stay away from the beaches if you cannot keep the sand out of your vag. Either way, I'm through sparring with you. Carry on by yourself but I will leave you with one last oldie but goodie...internet arguments are like the special olympics. No matter who wins, you're still retarded.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That'll be enough, guys. This thread's not here to provide you a place to bicker.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Monsters with acid and other one-use items are already implemented elsewhere :)

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Although, one thing I agree on is - Ogre Shamans definitely should use Javelins of Lightning, not just carry them in inventory.

10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The AI has no command word for using magic items' special abilities. It can be "faked" with some scripting, but there's no one around with the time to do it...

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Can they use a "potion" of Lightning as a simulation?

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's what I had in mind.

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Actually, I'm not sure I would really want to drink that. ;)

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

If you ever try Chinese Baijiu - that's what it feels like :twitch:

It's sad that the NPCs can't use items's abilities, that'd make lots of things easier to do, and the combat more versatile... Ohwell.

Also, I was thinking about the two non-humanoid NPCs: Scorpp and Oolghrist... Aren't they a bit overpowered/unbalanceed?

15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

They are. Unfortunately whereas in the PNP game, monsters had Level Adjustment (Drow, for instance, had an LA of 2, which meant a 1st level drow was the equivalent of a 3rd level character and earned XP accordingly) the ToEE engine has no way of implementing it. (Believe me, I tried a whole bunch of crap to try to kludge something together) which means all their monster hit dice and abilities get ignored and they're treated simply as a character of their actual class level for leveling up and gaining XP.

However, we don't want to nerf them since it would remove any challenge from fighting them.

Our Host!