Co8 5.6.0 BETA Balance

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Oct 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

As mentioned in the Tales of the Wild coast thread,

I managed to hit 54999xp in Vanilla ToEE by the end of the Water Node without random encounters / xp farming at all. I surmise that if it were uncapped, I could probably hit level 12 or close to it by the end of the nodes. So if you're only looking at the end-game level, Co8 hasn't changed it that much, barring the level uncapper of course.

The protos overhaul combined with what's left of the new content does contribute an XP bulge, that can grow to +44% by the end of Temple level 2. This is based on a side by side playthrough of vanilla and Co8 5.6.1, with no RE / XP farming and no character deaths.

IMO, reducing the XP modifier from 0.7 (Troika's solution in vanilla) to around 0.52 (roughly a reduction of 25%) seems about right. Among other things, it would extend the mid level phase of the game, which IMO is the most fun.
    Wouldn't want to lower it further so as to not hurt the early game too much, since it's fairly well aligned with vanilla pre-Lareth and fairly tough as it is, and the late game has gotten a a little tougher as well.

To test this, create a file called combat_rules.mes inside your data\rules folder, containing the following code:

Code:
    // combat_rules.mes

{000} {0.52}       ;  Experience multiplier

Previously tested with HB, Verbomod, et al here.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I suppose a percentage xp reduction to compensate for the protos overhaul would be a compelling rationale for balance. You could even say that to not do it, given that the protos overhaul has shifted the dynamic significantly, would be foolish.

I like that position a lot better than doing it to accomodate our added content, which seems like a bit of a copout. The only other option content-wise would be to get rid of it (and I'm talking about Moathouse Ambush, Nulb Revenge, etc.), and I don't suppose anyone wants that. We can't vey well integrate that stuff into a TotWC type setting either since it's story dependant, and it's stood the test of time as far as quality standards go.

So I say we try the 0.52 reduction.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Agreed. I am going to throw it into KotB too and see what happens.

4. MB

MB Member

For the uninitiated - what is the protos overhaul an how does it alter gameplay? Can we manually create the .52 experience multiplier?

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

6. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

trying to maintain the original balance, when the original game was just completely broken, is a losing proposition...
    We had a level 10 level cap (which I reached with an unmodified game BTW, so who knows how much further I Would have gone). And we had a GODDESS being heavily nerfed to be killable by a level 10 party... I Think we just need to up the difficulty of the end game content. Rather then forcing the party to stay level 10, make the goddess a bit more difficult to kill.

7. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

My view too. Make the later battles harder, rather than restrict XP.

8. MB

MB Member

Thank you.

9. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Taltamir
    I hate to correct you, but Zuggtmoy is/was a DEMONESS, not a Goddess. Also keep in mind that if you destroy the orb, it's destruction weakens her considerably. Keep in mind that the Circle of Eight (the wizards you see in the intro) were able to totally seal her into a small area within her own temple WITHOUT destroying the orb, so Zuggtmoy is not a Demoness comparable to Orcus by any stretch of the imagination. If you think she is eay to kill now, play Vanilla sometime. I do however agree with you that the "endgame" could be a little more challanging.
    The Royal Canadian

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  10. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I did play vanilla, I even managed to finish the game in vanilla after a few tries. (corrupt games galore). Did you miss the part where I said I hit the level cap of 10 when I was playing vanilla? Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I "didn't play the game"

And maybe she is a demoness (I always had the impression of her being a goddess, maybe I missed some important text), she is assisted by Iuz and he definitely is a god. Although if you played your cards right Cuthbert comes to help you with his avatar when he attacks you, you still need to go toe to toe with a god for a few turns...

As for CO8 sealing her... sufficiently high level wizards in DnD can slap gods around.

11. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

If you now are able to reach ~12...13 level as most of the people seem to have, then I think it's okay. If the very end game gets too easy (I haven't reached it yet), then just boost up the monsters there.

IMO, decreasing xp multiplier so that you end up with level 10 feels dull. Then what was the point of increasing level cap to 20, if it's not possible to reach even 11th level? I'd rather even have it so, that by the end of the game I would be in level 16...18 and monsters would be much tougher.

Btw, in original Baldur's Gate you also reached Level Cap pretty early and without level cap I'd have reached at least one or two levels more.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, two things to consider -

- does large chunks of the game seem easy? (Ie the midgame, which some people think it does - the Balor is going to be tough even for much higher level parties, especially if he Gates in a few friends)

- this is being balanced (by the sounds of it) for 5PCs plus a couple NPCs, which is how the game was designed. People soloing or only taking 2-3 characters will still level very quicky and get the high level spells etc, but their game will also still be challenging for having a smaller party.

13. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

And I'd not pay too much attention on the "original balance", since the game was so broken that Troika must have balance in bottom of their priorities to fix/tune.

Btw, is the giant in meadows meant to be really that tough on so early game? It hits three times with so high attack, that it always kill one +4 level PC per hit and the damn thing makes three hits. :eek:

And regarding the bugfix on that giant, does it fix the thing that the game freezes up when I try to shoot the giant with a sling? And regarding sling, there is basically no bullets to for sale anywhere in Hommlet. The shopkeepers only have ~10 bullets and none of the monsters/enemies uses sling. :(

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

The Giant is best taken at a distance. With sumoned creatures and other spells such as Grease to keep it at bay. Also a low level spell- Ray of Enfeeblement (which the Giant does NOT have a good save agianst) is very helpful too. Ranged attacks can have a good sized group of 3rd level characters take him down. At 4th level it is almost too easy.

Kobolds use slings, so there can be bullets found there, and in some random barrels around Homelett there are 10 bullets as well. Just remember that the Smith and the Leatherworker each have 10 nearly everytime you go there, and, yes, use a bow for most ranged attackers, as arrows are so much easier to come by.

15. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

But why they only have few bullets, but they still have dozens of arrows and bolts?

Our Host!