Co8 5.0.0 Beta - The Big 3; A poll

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, May 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

I think the encounter should be handled like this...

Poll closed May 24, 2006.
  1. They show up with moathouse brigands

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. They show up with moathouse brigands only after Lareth is dead

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. They show up with temple tower troops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They show up with temple tower troops only after Lareth is dead

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. They show up with Nulb pirates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. They show up with Nulb pirates only after Lareth is dead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. They show up on thier own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. They show up on their own only after Lareth is dead

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  9. What the hell is this poll all about?

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Re: ToEE FAQ and references

Well, it would have worked for my TRUE_NEUTRAL party. I checked the Jaroo dialog, and as you suspected, the quests were not properly implemented, so it would ONLY work for TRUE_NEUTRAL parties.

I'll make the necessary dlg/py fixes and post them within a day or so.

--thearioch

2. thearioch

:rant:

It looks like Terjon is mixed up with this as well, and that it's entirely a Co8 quest. I don't have a "clean" Terjon dlg, as I've been hacking him pretty hard on the conversion quests. So, it may be more than just a day or two, as I'm trying to spend some time *playing* the game. :)

BTW, it should be a negative test -- the ambush should only occur if Quest 72 is NOT complete. The party should want the XP from completing the quest and report it asap. Once it's reported, no ambush. If a player decides to "game the system" and hold off on reporting the quest complete for some reason, that's not our problem. It's better than the current situation (not reading the diary) or a timer that may or may not be "fair" to the PC.

--thearioch

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yes, the "finishing the Moathouse quest" is a Co8 thing. Its amazing how much division these things cause: it was originally added for parties whose Alignment quests weren't fulfilled by the Moathouse or who didn't give you a sensible reason to go on to Nulb without it looking like you had done a quest first (or something - I forget the exact details). Anyway, it was added for some alignments, then people complained it wasn't available for this or that alignment, so it got expanded, then people said they didn't like who gave what to which alignment... :shrug: It probably needs another overhaul.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I don't think I understand what the problem is with the diary. Can you elaborate? Otherwise, I still much prefer the timer, being as the thing of paramount importance with that mod is that the ambush be topical. If people miss it from time to time because they left via the front door or rested for many hours before leaving, etc., I'm okay with that.

Also, checking for a quest-not-completed on the Moathouse could be problematic as well. Let's say the quest is 'accepted.' Players could go to the Moathouse, peak out the tunnel exit before killing Lareth, kill Lareth, then go back to Hommlet via the front door and galavant around, then go back to the tunnel exit via the world map and be confronted by Turuko and Co. That would be goofy. There are probably a million possible scenarios like that, all of which a timer solves.

One thing we've learned from all our ToEE and particularly KotB modding is that players will do things you never imagined they would, so it's risky to make assumptions about how they will play things.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Okay, how about this: once you kill Lareth, a two day countdown is set in motion to account for the party resting inside the Moathouse and whatever (this is enough for 5-6 rest periods).

If the party exits the Moathouse within that time period, the ambush occurs.

Should the party exit through the entrance instead of the cave exit, a two hour timer will be set (or however long it takes to travel to Hommlet), so if the party rests in the Tower or something along these lines, the ambush is cancelled. Alternately, script an ambush for that part of the Moathouse as well. This would be quite a bit more labor intensive, of course, and in addition to repositioning the spawned creatures, it would involve checking that the party didn't exit through the secret passage, and that none of the Moathouse inhabitants are around, or alternately deleting them or adding them as reinforcements for Turuko and his party.

6. thearioch

The Diary issue is that reading it reveals the location of Nulb, setting the story state such that the ambush won't occur. Since Lareth being dead is required for the ambush to occur, this generally means that the party has been to Lareth's room and likely obtained the diary. Having obtained the diary, the "natural instinct" is to read it right away if possible. That's what caused me to miss the ambush the first time. When I reloaded and waited to read the Diary, I got the ambush as expected.

Gaear, it sounds like your timer would be independent of the Nulb check; I thought you were thinking about replacing the Nulb check with a timer. We might consider doing both:

1) Replace Nulb check with Quest 72 != completed required for ambush. I'm considering making the Diary "unreadable", so that the party has to take it back to Hommlet for translation (in which case, we can just leave the check for Nulb as is).
    2) Timer set for a "reasonable" value and sets a flag when it expires; flag unset required for ambush.

So, even if a party tries to game the system by not reporting the Moathouse cleared in a timely fashion, the ambush won't occur if the party waits too long. But reading the Diary in Lareth's quarters (a very likely occurrence) won't prevent the ambush either.

I'm working on a few other options to replace both (1) and (2), but as Gear pointed out, I am finding holes in all of them.

--thearioch

7. thearioch

I'll make a stab at it. I anticipate letting several people "give" it out, including people who just give out rumors. I will likely make Lareth's Diary "unreadable", so PCs have to bring it back to Hommlet. Regardless of who "gave" the quest, several people (Kennet, Terjon, Jaroo, etc.) will all be able to direct the party to someone to translate. Ideally, I'd use Burne, but I think Sitra is heavily modding that DLG. I will probably end up using Terjon, as I'm already modding him. I may pick a minor character (if I can find a good candidate) to avoid the whole voiced/unvoiced mix.

I'll make sure every starting alignment has at least one opening and one resolution (which may be different). I'm also rewriting the ambush dialog (PC side -- I'm not touching the voiced NPC dialog) to make it clearer that the party is on its way back to report the clearing of the moathouse (to whom may differ by alignment, but will always be somebody that irks Turoko/Zert).

--thearioch

8. Gaear

Okay ... Big 3 Ambush - FIXED! Hopefully, For. Once. And. For. All.

What I did what simply take Sitra's idea and staged the ambush in the courtyard of the Moathouse as well as the cave exit. It will trigger at whichever location you go to first after killing Lareth. It won't subsequently trigger at the other location or ever again because the conditions will no longer be good after you kill those guys.

This is a neat solution because you can't avoid running into the Big 3 now. You have to go out one way or the other, unless you've got a scroll of teleport handy, which ... I'm pretty sure no one should have at that point in the game.

So, the conditions are now everything they were except the story state variant, any semblance of which is no longer necessary.

A couple interesting notes -

I had to create new spawning coordinates (and indeed an entirely new section in the generic spawner .py file) for the courtyard, because everybody spawned outside the courtyard by the original cave coordinates. These coordinates would have actually made for a very interesting battle though, as that little wooden plank bridge by the spider tower featured as a sort of chokepoint centerpiece. Unfortunately, Kobort picked up on the PCs and started in on his dialogue as soon as they appeared in the courtyard, despite the fact that he was far off and out of sight. This led to an awkward no-battle-after-tough-talk situation.

As it is now, the battle will probably be even more risky than the cave version for spellcasters, as there's really no place for them to hide, boxed in as the party will be. :nervous:

Please test this out. And then let's put this to bed forever.

@thearioch -

I don't suppose your Moathouse quest changes will be necessary for this anymore. I hate to sound like a perpetual naysayer, but I'm not certain they would have been totally appropriate anyway, being as players may not necessarily have reporting the Moathouse situation as their top priority or even a compelling motivation in their particular campaigns.

As far as the diary goes, I would be opposed to making that any more difficult to deal with either. It's already marginally irritating that it's so soundly locked (a Livonya change), so adding even more difficulty for a thing that's merely intended to add story exposition would be a bad idea, imo. Sorry :blush:

@Sitra -

I don't see the Moathouse inhabitants (the courtyard bandits would be the only relevant ones) as a problem, because you will have had to go through them already in order to enter the Moathouse in the first place. Thus, they'll already be dead - unless you enter with a party of entirely sneaking rogues or something like that. In that case, let the bandits join in later. ;)

Likewise, a check for the opposing map shouldn't be necessary, because you can't get out without running into them at one location or the other, and once you fight them the conditions to trigger it again for the other location will no longer be good. Hope I'm actually right about all that.

[edit]

D'oh. I forgot the damn secret door exit in the rear. Damn.

Damn. :smarty:

Damn! :chainsaw:

Hold on while I try to figure this out again ...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  9. thearioch

I'm superfly with that. My *only* goal was to prevent reading the Diary [in Lareth's bedroom] from stopping the ambush ('cause that happened to me, and I thought it was wrong, so I thought I'd try to "fix" it). I haven't tested a hotfix before, but now that I just put skirts on the Orcs and made them sweep up their cave, I'll take it out for a spin.

I still think moving the ambush to main courtyard has merit. Sneaky characters *deserve* to find sneaky ways to handle things. Can you make two optional maps? If party enters map through main entrance, party is in courtyard and surrounded. If party uses secret door, ambushers are in courtyard, and party can get a drop on the ambushers (if they choose to fight)?

--thearioch

10. thearioch

Well, since you took your files away before I could download them , here are a few other things to consider:

in evil vocce:

1) REMOVE the ambush from the original location and set it up in/around main moathouse entrance ONLY (party is boxed in if it exits main entrance).

2) Make the tunnel exit a *very* hard to find secret door. And I mean *very*.

3) Make reading the appropriate chapter in Lareth's Diary reveal the tunnel exit (the text is there already). Now the party has two ways to find tunnel exit.

4) Put tracks (easy to see -- I'm sick of my Ranger, who is topped out at Survival only finding Ronald's and Meleny's Jackal's tracks on maps) on the tunnel exit where the ambush was originally. If party goes back to moathouse immediately, put ambushers n courtyard -- party now has *them* boxed in.

5) Possibly up the DC on the top-side secret door. A sneaky party can get out without combat, otherwise the party is at least in the open against the ambushers.

6) Add any top side bandits not killed by party earlier to the ambusher's side (if possible -- I'm not sure).

7) Of course, the python, rats, stirges, and lizard are still around if not killed earlier as well.

8) Don't make Lareth dead a requirement. What if we had a war and *everybody* showed up? I don't know if the engine can handle *three* side, or if it's always 1 side v. 1 side. Imagine letting Lareth go as an option (not killing, not in party); Lareth shows up with drow reinforcement while Zert and creq and you are "discussing" ownership of the moathouse.

--thearioch

11. Gaear

Sorry, didn't want known faulty stuff making the rounds. Someone would surely download it and proclaim, "Hey! This doesn't work!"

I'd be okay with leaving the topside scenario as is (Big 3 waiting in courtyard), but that would mean we'd have to re-institute other measures yet again to make sure those resourceful souls who do things the unorthodox way wouldn't get ambushed later. There's also another problem with it: no matter where you first appear on that map if the conditions are go (the map is fairly large), Kobort starts in with his dialogue. He will do this even if he's in the courtyard and you're by the secret exit.

Damn frustrating. I'm sorely tempted to eliminate that secret door altogether, except I'm sure it's in the original module.

I also can't get the ambush to work inside the main floor of the Moathouse, incidentally. That would have been a workable solution - both secret and normal stairways let out there - but the Big 3 just won't show up. I must have forgot to sacrifice the goat this month. :shame:

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I like your 'just do it' approach, Gaear :)

Anyway, when the party exits through that secret passage, it's legitimate in my view to cancel the ambush. Odds are that no one would do so without metagaming the thing anyway, but the rationale would be that you simply snuck out the Moathouse unnoticed.

Scripting wise, you can solve this by checking the party's location on the first heartbeat of the script device. You can see the random_encounter.py for an example of this, where I added the wonnilon hideout code that checks if the party is in that part of the Temple where resting should be safe. Find the party's coordinates when exiting the Moathouse by the back entrance by using the loc() command, and change the script so that if the party is within that rectangle of coordinates on the first heartbeat, then the encounter doesn't take place.

Tech note: loc() points out the x,y coordinates of the party leader (leftmost portrait).

When this is added, I think it should be case closed :yes:

As a side note, had the unavoidable encounter thing worked 100% right, this encounter could have been staged as a wilderness encounter. Unfortunately, it doesn't fire as reliabley as one would hope. But heck, doing it in the courtyard/cave exit is cooler.

@ Arioch:

One of the problems of doing a three way fight is that the AI tends to favour attacking other, nonfriendly AI mobs before it attacks the PC. This could result in an easy fight where you just watch and pick off the survivors as needed. It's the same problem as the AI's fixation on spiritual weapons, I reckon.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  13. thearioch

I concur. A working solution tends to trump all manner of theoretical solutions.

BTW, I'd just focus on making the ambush itself fun and realistic. DnD 3.5 and ToEE are heavily weighted towards combat for XP -- if people want to avoid the encounter, and it doesn't break anything, let them. It's their loss -- it's not like there's any quest/roleplaying reward for avoiding the fight, so they lose out on (a) killing 3 annoying NPCs, (b) XP, and (c) loot in return for (d) nothing. Not that the "Big 3" have anything worth looting; would you mind adding a Ring of Invisibility -- I mean Furnok?

Not to mention my computer is slowing down just because I typed about it....

--thearioch

14. Gaear

I'm fine with the notion that parties sneaking out the back door of the Moathouse wouldn't get ambushed. That actually adds to the variability illusion ;), so I'll see if I can pilfer the hideout script and get it to work. Thanks. :thumbsup:

That only leaves one problem - the original one: parties that do sneak out will trigger the ambush if they go back later and all the remaining conditions are still good. I suppose we could apply the timer again, set to less time than it would take to get to Hommlet and back, so resting parties could still get ambushed but the other goofy scenarios would go away. The diary conflict would no longer be an issue, as thearioch pointed out.

Re: Furnok, back during this mod's inception we pondered having him be a part of the ambush, but it seemed he was actually more of a decent fellow than those others and wouldn't really fit in. (Lord_Spike argued that he would play the role of opportunist, but the encounter is actually supposed to be more agenda-oriented than that.) Plus, he serves the purpose of having a skilled rogue available to crack the diary (and Smyth's chest) later if the party can't do it, so killing him off would hamper those things.

I don't mind the encounter being treasure-lite, btw; we're already so fat in the treasure department elsewhere that those guys not having much loot suits me fine.

15. thearioch

Sorry, just my dry sense of humor.

Anyway, it would be more realistic to remove Furnok from the Wench, give Zert Furnok's equipment, and have Ostler comment about Zert, Turoko, Kobort, and Furnok all leaving together.

[Checking protos.tab] Nope -- Furnok has a 14 INT -- I think he's too smart to sign up with the Big 3 :)

--thearioch

Our Host!