Co8 5.0.0 Beta - The Big 3; A poll

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, May 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

I think the encounter should be handled like this...

Poll closed May 24, 2006.
  1. They show up with moathouse brigands

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. They show up with moathouse brigands only after Lareth is dead

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. They show up with temple tower troops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They show up with temple tower troops only after Lareth is dead

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. They show up with Nulb pirates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. They show up with Nulb pirates only after Lareth is dead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. They show up on thier own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. They show up on their own only after Lareth is dead

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  9. What the hell is this poll all about?

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I'm gonna b a complete misery and make a comment here.

I'm glad Gaear has taken this step (certainly the most sensible thing to do). However, the problem here is we have released a beta, asked for feedback, and we have got a lot of feedback in a way that ended up being completely counterproductive.

However, lets not lose sight of the productive feedback we got, even if it was only one thing - the encounter is too hard. Lots of people gave this feedback, even those who had prepared for it. A newcomer to Co8 who has just rumbled the moathouse, is missing half his hit points, most of his spells and has possibly just had at least one character poisoned on the inside of the door, will not have his ToEE experience enhanced by a mod wiping out his party the instant he steps outside.

I make no new suggestions as to how this could be remedied, nor do I ask anyone else to reignite this issue (in fact, I will delete the first post even trying to do so). Its entirely in Gaear and Blue's capable hands, even to the extent of them ignoring this and writing me threatening emails. But we can't ask for feedback and then just ignore it wholesale: game balance issues are, after all, inevitable.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

When does the "re-spawn" occur? certainly, after the death/defeat of Lareth. Why not implement Gaear's fix, & use the "Ambush" as-is whenever the party exits out into the ravine after the re-spawn? Would the party likely be tough enough then? It would be their second run through. To make it smoother, could someone in Hommlet give the PC's the clue that more evil has crept in? I just gave Kenter Nevets a listen, and he mentions bad guys at the moathouse. Perhaps his reference is generic enough to fit.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The respawn requires a pretty hi level party: and there is someone in Hommlet who does give a heads-up. I coulda made it a requirement, but that would have been nasty. Suffice it to say, its someone the party probably never bother with - but really, someone who is as good a source of info as anyone. But I had planned to add a couple more little references, maybe to the Badgers and Lila.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Been pondering this a bit and I think the best thing to do lies in the direction of reducing the number of brigands and/or crossbowmen. If we make the triggering event something other than the death of Lareth then I'd have to rework some of the dialogue, and frankly the shine has worn off this thing and I'm not really up for that.

Acknowledging the feedback from the community that the encounter is too hard, as Ted said, I'd like to consequently seek the counsel of only two persons as to how the situation could best be remedied, Lord_Spike and Kalshane. It's not that I'm not interested in anyone else's opinion, but rather that I don't want this to go back to being a free-for-all like before.

So, within the boundaries that the circumstances and timing of the encounter won't change, what is the best way to a) balance the encounter difficulty-wise, and b) maintain module integrity within the existing framework, Kal & Spike?

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  5. Lord_Spike

Is it possible that one balancing factor could be that Furnok will be there if Elmo's with the group and his scheme at the Inn is upset? If not, that is fine.

The capabilities of the "extras" could be reduced in one or more ways...by either lowering their numbers or by lowering their levels. Another option is to change their combat script so they act in a less skilled fashion...poorer target choices, coordination, etc. Or, some mix of all these could suffice as well.

If Furnok is there, then more balancing factors should be applied to the extras.

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I think the encounter works fine as originally written if it occurs after the death of Lareth, from a game balance perspective, though it will be very difficult, particularly if the party fights Lareth's guards, Lareth himself and Lareth gets a chance to summon his spider helpers.

From a logical perspective, unless someone else is giving the orders, it would be incredibly unlikely for Zert and Co. to recruit a bunch of soldiers that are higher level than themselves.

I dislike the idea of Furnok joining them because I don't see him personality-wise as the type that would resort to violence as revenge for being caught cheating. Particularly since he's eager to join the party even after his cheating has been reported to Gundigoot.

The crossbowmen are fine, as-is. They're all level 1 fighters, and considering that making a character a warrior instead requires alot of kludging to work, it's best to leave them as such.

The brigand footmen, on the other hand, are 3rd level, which makes them more powerful than the big three, which is kind of silly.

The options would pretty much be to replace them with the normal moathouse brigands, who as 1st level rogues would make sense to be easy to find and recruit,hobgoblins (depending on what kind of ties we think Zert and Co. might have), create some additional 2nd level NPCs that are "friends" of Zert and Co. and fill in the gaps in their party composition (a rogue, a cleric and a wizard or sorcerer) or level-up Zert & Co to be more challenging, though this would depart from the ToEE module.

Personally, considering ToEE doesn't really take the rarity of leveled PC-class characters into account (and really, the game would pretty boring if everyone you ran into was 1st level warriors) my vote would be to leave it as is and set the "Lareth is dead" flag. It prevents a lot of additional work and gives a good, challenging fight. Maybe remove a couple of the footmen and maybe one of the crossbowmen, since the party will usually be weakened going into the battle. (That's my one problem with Liv's ambush in Nulb encounter is it doesn't take a weakened party into account [they attack when you're going back to rest] which means a lot of folks keep visiting their Nulb house at full health to trigger the encounter when they can handle it rather than seeing their party wiped out repeatedly.)

7. MB

MB Member

Has a consensus been reached about the ambush? I haven't yet played TOEE with the 5.0 beta, and want to hold off until the decision has been reached on this matter.

For what it's worth (probably nothing) but I agree with what has been said earlier about reflagging the ambush to occur after Lareth's death....am anxious to try this encounter.

Thanks for your efforts.

MB

8. Gaear

Thanks for the input guys.

The only real problem I have with Furnok being involved is that if the party doesn't have a qualified rogue of their own, they won't be opening Lareth's diary any time soon without Furnok around. I know there are other ways to get the Nulb hook, but I don't like creating a dead end with a major plot item like that.

I think lowering the numbers is the only choice available to us here, as to change their combat scripts would mean editing strategy.tab, which Blue has said he's not ready or able to do. Lowering levels would mean creating new monsters, which is probably more than we ever wanted to get into with this thing. ;)

How about this:

- The Big 3.
    - 1 Brigand Footman (rather than an elite fighting force, 1 guy could be a fluke. nonetheless, he'll still give the group some teeth.)
    - 1 Raging Bandit Leader (a bit more toothy than regular old bandits)
    - a few Bandits
    - 3 Crossbowmen
    - a few Hobgoblins

Now granted, this crew will not be as strong as the original, but the fact that they're odds and ends rag-taggy makes more sense plot-wise, plus you'll be dealing with quantity, which means even if they're easier to kill you still have to go through them all. Lastly, I sort of envisioned from the start that Turuko and co. had sort of underestimated the party, which is shown in his condescending dialogue. Not each encounter needs to be a cutting edge challenge. Personally, I agree with Spike that the story aspect of it matters more to me than whether I was just able to get by by the skin of my teeth.

What do you think? Please post any corrections/additions/subtractions to this proposed new crew.

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

@Gaear: Sounds good to me. Especially since at the level the PCs are going to be at, the only area damage spell they're going to have access to is sound burst, which isn't exactly a killer spell and most players, if they even have it prepped, will most-likely use it on Lareth's guards anyway. So even though it's a bunch of weak guys, they're not going to get wiped out in one blow.

10. Gaear

Any last-minute objections to this crew? Speak now before I kick it back to Blue for final coding. Once it's done this time, it's done for good and forever.

11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sounds good to me Gaear. That looks like a tough fight but not 99% TWP tough.

12. Lord_Spike

I'm not trying to be overly critical about this thing, but it still isn't exactly what I'd consider accurate to the setting & circumstances. I'd pick a bugbear or two, or perhaps several gnolls if there's going to be humanoid troops. This will eliminate the need for some of those humans, and is more easily explained by than where the tough guys came from. This could be accounted for by them having been out "foraging" or "patrolling", as it states in the wandering monsters section of the moathouse dungeon. IMO, they'd work better than new "warrior" bandits that were tougher than the boss bandit on the first floor.

The "Big 3"
    the brigand crossbowmen
    some gnoll or bugbear footmen

Zert rounded up some stragglers for a counter-attack in order to fill the power vacuum (with himself as top-dog, of course...), but underestimated the party's abilities. He got some adventurers, bandits & (insert humanoid) to ambush the party. Rag-tag, but accounted for in the game.

13. Gaear

Sounds reasonable to me, and I don't suppose an appropriate number of gnolls would be much different strength-wise than footman-bandit leader-bandits-hobgoblins. (For some reason I'd prefer gnolls over bugbears at this point - too many bugbears later on in the temple.) Any dissenting opinions?

I have to also point out in the interest of full disclosure that by dictation of the dialogue, Turuko is actually the head mo-fo in charge of this crew. Sorry, but there were limits to Zert's available topical dialogue, while Turuko had a comparative abundance in this area. Besides, it seemed reasonable to me to think that a monk might lead that crew, being 'disciplined,' 'dedicated,' and everything else that goes with being a monk. ;)

Also, the dialogue seems to indicate not that this was really a planned ambush, but that the Big 3 had either gone to look or been sent to look for the party for the purpose of stopping their meddling, and only by chance happened upon them as they exited the secret tunnel. :shrug:

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Lotsa bugbears in the rest of the game is right. Some gnolls in the ambush would be pleasant to see, the skilled acrobats of the Moathouse.

@gaear: Some added dog growls or dog-like growling from the Gnolls during the fight in the ambush would be cool, too, if you decide to go with using Gnolls.

15. Lord_Spike

At this point, it doesn't really matter. Troika took plenty of license with this already. Toruko may simply be their spokes-person; or perhaps Zert is letting him think he's in charge. The leader can take the fall and the follower can always claim "he's simply following orders". That way, if things take a turn for the worst and the good guys prevail, he'll maintain some level of deniability for not being the head guy.

Edit: Gnolls are better.

Our Host!