Co8 5.0.0 Beta - The Big 3; A poll

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, May 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

I think the encounter should be handled like this...

Poll closed May 24, 2006.
  1. They show up with moathouse brigands

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. They show up with moathouse brigands only after Lareth is dead

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. They show up with temple tower troops

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They show up with temple tower troops only after Lareth is dead

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. They show up with Nulb pirates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. They show up with Nulb pirates only after Lareth is dead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. They show up on thier own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. They show up on their own only after Lareth is dead

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  9. What the hell is this poll all about?

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Adding a new dialogue option for the PC's that doesn't even mention Lareth, and making sure that only the correct option is available is easy enough to do, but I suggest before we start figuring that stuff out, we work out the following...

1. What is the big 3's motivation for attacking the group? Is it greed (for treasure)? Vengence (for Lareth)? or something else?

2. What help would they have available to assist them? Moathouse brigands that were away? Zert's friends from the temple? A random group of swashbucklers from Nulb? Perhaps even Toruko's fellow monk brethren? A group of Drow who are checking up on Lareth's progress?

When should they attack the PC's? As and when the PC's come out of the secret entrance? After Lareth is dead? Only if the PC's are already damaged?

I posted the poll, with the intension of allowing the community to discuss how the the encounter should be handled, and seeing other people's points of view. I'm sure Gaear doesn't want to see his hard work scrapped, and I know CtB is disheartened because of the way the community is directing thier complaints about it in his direction.

So can we first work what out the big 3's motive is, who their backup is, and what triggers the scene?

Once these 3 componants have been decided, the scripts can be written, the dialogues can be amended and we can all play and enjoy playing ToEE with the Co8-5.0.0 patch (which is what we should be doing instead of argueing).

@Gaear; I'm putting you in the interogation chamber, and I'll use the thumbscrews if you don't co-operate :evil_laug

2. JamesTheLion

JamesTheLion Member

OK - I have read and re-read the threads on this. I'm not a big modder (mostly 'cause between work, school and Kung Fu who has time <sigh>) But I used to DM (and also write) - a lot. In my very humble opnion, what has kind of happened is what used to happen on occasion in my PnP games when I would DM for a group that had players who were also DMs. We would end up waisting valuable hours of play time arguing about different details or why something was a certain way. Finally when it all came down to it - I was the one responsible for making the final decision - because, lets face it, I couldn't please everyone - AND I did have my OWN vision of what was going on. I mean, yeah it was important for the players to have fun, no doubt about that. But it was important for me to have fun too, and to have my work appreciated, or else why was I waisting my time?!?!?

That said - I really like the community approach on this forum - and for this game. It really looks like it works most of the time. At the moment, I personally feel kinda like we are getting hung up on a detail that we don't have to be hung up on. I also hate to see time get thrown away that was already invested in an encounter that while difficult yes - isn't impossible and isn't unreasonable, by any stretch.

I believe there are three ways to approach the issue of "The Three Amigoes":

#1 - We can have a lot of discussion about a lot of different possible ways that the scenario could be played. All of them fun scenarios, all of them cool -- All of them requiring new scripts and modding (which takes away from other things our generous modders could be spending their limited time on) -- Also - ALL of them Different and All of them with an aspect Someone doesn't like (just like the arguments we had around the dining room table when I was in the early days of DMing).

#2 - We, as a community, can come up with the back story that fits the CURRENT (not to be confused with currant, of which the red kind is my favorite) scenario and focus the modders on any bugs around that scenario that do make it impossible for some (or too difficult if people really think it is too tough).

#3 - We can accept it as is, because there are a myriad of reasons why the scenario could have played out the way it does - and maybe even the Three Amigoes don't realize that instead of simple Brigands they thought they happened upon and recruited, they have trained fighters with them that were waiting to join their group based on a premonition Lareth recieved from Lolth, but it was really Ziggy pretending to be Lolth all the time and he is yet another Pawn in her bid for conquest.... etc, etc. Who knows - except the DM ;)
    ---
    I personally feel the best solution would be to go with option #2. There are some really creative minds on this forum, and If we spend the time figuring out a bakstory that works for the scenario as it Currently plays it will require less new scripting. It will also mean the modders can focus on enhancing the complexity of the game or encounter without throwing away work that has been already done. And it won't feel like we have a ton of people DMing after the fact. It will feel more like a community effort.

Right now, to me, IMHO, it feels like we are working on option #1 - which also means more time before there is a final version to play and less time before there are other cool mods -- and I feel like this isn't a huge glaring issue where anyone would have to say "Wait, how the heck did that Troll Paladin end up riding an Ancient Red Dragon out of the ocean to defend that Coven of Sea Hags who where building that Iron Golem with 6-arms. WTF!?!?!?!?"

The encounter as it stands IS a hard encounter (I think it should be, since their aren't enough hard encounters). On the surface, maybe it doesn't make a ton of sense to everyone. But maybe that is because there are wrong assumptions that are made in response to questions. And because of the transparency in TOEE, I think we are so used to knowing everything that has been going on "behind the scenes" we tend to not question why things are not as they seem, but instead assume it is wrong or a mistake. I was devious when I DMd, and my players got used to some things that they initialy thought didn't make sense, but they soon realized was an onimous shadowing of danger still to come, or a clue to what they should be preparing for down the road.

Anyway - sorry for the UBER long post. I hope no one is offended that a relative newbie to the community is weighing in so heavily on this. At the least, if I didn't piss everyone off :poke: maybe it will give the people in the community something else to consider....

- JTL

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I personally don't care what is ultimately decided, as long as the final encounter is balanced for the party level and doesn't have glaring logic holes. For me, my issues with the encounter as it originally appeared in 5.0 was:

1. During the dialogue before the fight, the PCs claimed Lareth was dead, even though he wasn't and at the point I encountered the ambush, my characters didn't even know who Lareth was. This is a logic hole.
    2. The encounter was way too powerful for PCs likely to use the secret exit for the first time. It wasn't a hard fight, it was an impossible fight. A properly balanced encounter should not result in a TPK (total party kill) 3 times in a row. Leaving it as it was effectively prevented the player from using the secret exit until he had gained sufficient levels to win the encounter, which meant the player had to do a lot of unnecessary running around back and forth to the main entrance.

Based on above, the easiest fix would be to just flag the encounter to only spawn once Lareth was dead. The dialogue would then become logically consistent and the PCs would be of a level capable of dealing with the encounter, though it would still be a tough fight coming off of fighting Lareth and his spiders.

Other fixes, as have been suggested and attempted, involve changing the dialogue and make-up of the encounter. In the end it doesn't matter, as long as the goal is to make things consistent and balanced.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Agreed with Kalshane.

5. Allyx

:imwithstu I liked the original fight too, but it should only happen if Lareth is dead, even though the poll currently say's it should be different.

6. JamesTheLion

JamesTheLion Member

Well - I def agree that the logic hole needed to be fixed. I figured that pretty much goes without saying, and my understanding from the other threads was that that was going to get worked... so -- yeah. My vote is def for keeping the encounter as is, as long as it does spawn after you've killed Lareth.

My understanding was that some of the community members had some issues with the fight from a RP perspective as well (specifically the levels of some of the big three's "back up", etc).

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I prefer the original first encounter after Lareth is actually dead.

From dialogue provided by Gaear and Spike, I would suggest reasons of both greed [loot] and vengence [anger] are involved.
    * In the dialogue launching the fight, the party mentions they cleared the moathouse [all evil has been removed, including Lareth] and the fight begins. At that point, it's all about anti-righteous, unholy wrath and killing the do-gooders; the idea of obtaining loot becomes secondary.
    Note: Spike suggested to CtB that this concept was different from what he and Gaear intended and wanted the situation to be an Armed Robbery, not a "You killed Lareth!" thing. (I think this is correct.)

The current encounter should be whatever evil help the three amigos could find at the time - brigands, fighters, monks, whatever [located in or have close proximity to Hommlet]. (easy to follow; less complexity, little or no thinking required)
    * Nulb and the Temple are somewhat distant and would also involve inter-faction politics. Beyond the physical distance, the Temple or Nulb factions would have to want to support Lareth, a male Human Cleric follower of the Drow Lolth who is the puppetmaster behind the Moathouse - Lareth is outside their faction; Lareth opposes Zuggtmoy and Iuz at every step; ToEE really doesn't care much about Lareth and the little sandpile he commands. (Hedrack would probably, himself, laugh at the death of Lareth and cut jokes about Drow religion).

(1) Can you say Drow?
    (2) Drow don't fool around and play games. When needed, Drow just kill it. (Only let it breathe and live if it furthers a purpose of Lolth.)
    (3) Lareth must live! But, he dies prior.. [The ambush should take place the first time a party leaves the Moathouse using the secret exit, but alas, they are too late and oops!..]
    (4) It does not matter whether PCs are damaged or not.

Agree? Disagree? Indifferent? Rant? Don't care?

!!! Please vote and post your 2 cents.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

@JamesTheLion - When I say 'agreed with Kalshane', I mean I also agree that I really don't mind who is there as long as it is after Lareth is dead.

Play balancing issues can come along after that. It's important that check is there first to see how to then balance the encounter with input from gurus like Lord Spike on what is reasonable.

It's what betas are for. I just don't like to see people pushing themselves too hard trying to get this kind of thing sorted when things could take place at a slower pace. Leads to frayed tempers, misunderstandings, modder burn out and an unhappy atmosphere in the community.

This encounter can be mulled and chewed over for a few weeks provided a check is put in. It means modders can then focus on bug fixes whilst people decide how best to tweak the encounter.

9. Allyx

@krunch:

1: Lareth isn't a Drow.
    2: Drow are just as likely to kill Toruko and company as they are anyone else.
    3: The secret entrance to the moathouse is extreemly useful to use while carting back and forth all the loot that you find there. At least if the encounter happens after Lareth is dead, you can use the sectret entrance to cart loot out while your still too low a level to deal with the revenge group (level 5 - ish) and not having to worry about being painfully outmatched.

10. Hunter

Hunter Digging KOTB

I accidentally voted for the wrong choice. Place my vote in the it was fine the way it was category. The only issue I had was with the dialog (I hadn't killed Lareth yet). I actually like the idea of it happening the 1st time you use the backdoor. It sure surprised the heck out of me when it happened. I thought and still think it was an excellent piece of modding.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

1: You're right. He's a male human cleric. Now, above, it's written better and shown in brown. Thanks.

2: Yes, they would want and like to kill the three amigos. Only if a seperate Armed Robbery scenario would be made [the three amigos removed from the Ambush], well - for talking purposes in only that situation, I would kind of like to see the ambush party consist of just Drow, something different and cool as a surprise. And, if there's both scenarios and no Drow used, that's okay, too. It'd be nice for something cool, I think.

3: [...but alas, they are too late and oops!..] This was written to mean the ambush party arrives too late and arrives after Lareth's demise. (We agree.)

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

To quote our good friend Lareth, "Enough of this madness!" ;)

Some good and sensible input here from everyone, points well taken from James The Lion in particular. BUT . . . people, I haven't signed off on the creative control of this thing, and as the originator of this mod, it remains up to me and C-Blue (as well as anyone we wish to consult) as to what happens with it in its current condition. So here is what I have decided:

This thing is rapidly tearing the community apart for some reason, so it needs to be put to bed as quickly as possible. Morph's comments in the other thread notwithstanding, I'd like to get it off the table as soon as possible. To that end, the suggestions made by Kalshane and echoed by Zebedee seem the most reasonable to me. If Blue is still game, we will make sure that the 'Lareth must be dead' flag is positive and use the encounter as it was originally written. No pirates. No rangers. No Drow. No muss. No fuss.

The Lareth must be dead flag need not be discussed anymore. The encounter was never intended to occur if Lareth wasn't dead; that was an error that Blue has already copped to. With that flag in place, there will be no plot incongruities in the encounter.

Now, as I already held forth on in an earlier post somewhere, there are also no possibilities whatsoever with dialogue for the involvement of Drow, etc., and I repeat that my main motivation behind this mod was to orchestrate it using available dialogue so that it would appear as high-quality as possible and maybe even seem transparent to the casual player. If that happens I would be extremely happy. Repeat for Krunch's sake: there will be no Drow, there will be no strange in-depth considerations on what Zert had for lunch that day, etc., etc.

That said, you all of course have the right to ultimately reject this mod and insist that it not be included in the full release, and I'm fine with that if it is so decided. At that point you are all free to rewrite and reconfigure this mod to your hearts' content. But understand that there simply are not many options available with existing dialogue. I felt and still feel that what I put together was rather good, if not completely explanatory as to everyone's motivations. And for my part, the existence of the voiced dialogue is the most important thing, aside from Spike's submitting the idea in the first place.

So there! ;) Now, can we focus our attention on something more worthy, such as Verbo-mod or Ronald Rinwratthi? There's an entire new town and numerous plot twists to argue about over there, for chrissake. Let's head on over and get to fightin'!

13. Allyx

Well let me be the first to say...

THANK FARLANGHN FOR THAT, IT'S ALL OVER.

(heh you thought I was gonna say something else)

14. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Sounds good to me, Gaear. As I said before, the encounter is beautifully put together with the existing dialogue and could easily be assumed to be a part of the original game, rather than a Mod. The missing flag just made it problematic.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yeah!.. WooHoo! *w00t* :joy:

Our Host!