Co8 4.1.0

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Dec 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its that time again (and no we aren't calling it 4.0.1, thats a tiny tinker, this will be a major update).

Now Darmagon's spells are up and the current mods have hit double figures, we should be talking about a new release. Soooo... who's got what? Specifically, who's got what that will be good to go within a reasonable time frame? I say we plan to go as soon as Kalshane's fixes are up (and no, thats not a "hurry up" Kalshane, you take as long as you need, thats a big thing you are doing). People who will need more time (eg Allyx with his Verbobonc thing) can take their time, there will be more releases after this, just wondering who has anything imminently completable.

I have the Thrommel stuff, an additional fix for Lareth (to go on the existing fix by ummm Nomad) and some remastered voices Gaear did. The latter two are done, Thrommel should be good to go in a few days. And maybe one or two things I have forgotten about but will remember later.

Anyone else?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

My stuff's not ready yet, but as the only way to get to the new stuff is by dialogue, I can leave those dialogues out (for now) and release an "activation" patch later with the dialogues and other files later.

My mod will require a new game to be started (old saves won't load) and is at least 10 megs larger than 4.0.0. Gimme a shout if you want it in, I can finish it later. Otherwise my (ballpark figure) release date is January (hopefully early January, but could be late January depending on complications).

3. Shiningted

No hurry dude :)

I would say we should hold off, but I for one want something rolled up with Darmagon's new spells asap (since many of us have been sweating on em). We can do a 4.2 when u're ready.

Whats everyone else think?

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

A mod pack update would be great, but I'll be busy until Xmas. If anyone else wants to do the installer, the package I used last time is on the server, along with the Inno Setup installer script.

5. nomad461

nomad461 Member

I agree with you Ted. The modders have a lot of small different fixes floating around. Lumping them and Darmagon's stuff into 4.1.0 makes a lot of sense.

Also, if you guys need some help testing or another set of eyes on changes you've made, let me know. I'm a software developer by trade and have a pretty good eye for stuff like this.

nomad461

6. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

Okay, first, in regard to the protos and the issue of assigning names to everything in it: does anyone know if this will cause any kind of problem with the game? I have been using my version with all the weapon named assigned and nothing untoward has happened, but I haven't really been playing the game in earnest, just using it to test the spells so I don't know for sure if there would be any problems. I don't think that there would be any problems but I have thought that before and been proven wrong.....:)

If we are fairly certain that there would be no problems then there are two things I can do: first I can release a version of the protos I have with all of the names assigned and second I can release the program I wrote that did the assigning. that program is currently a work in progress which will be a lot more versatile than that. (Think, instead of releasing a whole new protos, just releasing a text file with the changes and having the program apply the changes to the protos, or diffing two protos files and getting a text file to change protos with out of it, stuff like that.) Anyway the program is a WIP and I am not sure how far I am going to go with it. It will depend on: my interest in it, the time I have available and the demand for it.

I think, however, that the protos name thing should be addressed before a new release.

Second, you can't release a new version until I can go back and fix the spell 'Holy Sword'. It uses the same mechanism for object destruction that my more recent spells used until it became apparent that that mechanism was too unreliable. And it was part of the reason that I thought the mechanism worked fine. No one complained about Holy Sword not working properly (well, if they did, I missed it.)
    Okay, I am now done fishing for excuses :)

Third: Now that, hopefully, most of the kinks are worked out in my methods of spell creation, I have a good half dozen spells in the process of being developed and at least a dozen more that I could whip into shape fairly shortly. And as I mentioned in my spell release thread I have outlines for almost all the spells that I think would be of use in the game. There are three spells that I would like to get done before a new release: first is Iron Body, the spell that sent me in search of new methods to begin with (and the spell that is not yet done because I haven't been able to come up with the proper combination of attributes, available in the game, to satisfy my snese of what the spell should accomplish); Second is the lowly 2nd level Druid spell, Warp Wood, if you read the spell definition in the SRD or the D&D players handbook, you will understand why I think this could be a very useful spell; Third is Time Stop, which I already have partially implemented. I just need a way to disallow dialog for the affected critters while the spell is in effect......

Anyway that is my 1/50 th of dollar......:)

Darmagon

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Between darmagon & Morpheus it sounds like pretty good reason to wait until after Christmas for an update. Plus if Allyx puts in a LOT of OT we could have Verbo-mod too, ha-ha. Plus don't forget Blue's Portrait/Voice combo pack.

Ted - Should we start conjuring up spell sounds for dar's new spells? I don't want to have to get into that "eerie silence" discussion again . . . ;)

8. Shiningted

What? what was that? speak up man!

After Xmas sounds reasonable, sure. I dare say I am not the only busy person here.

What r we gonna do about new sounds? My one effort fell flat (not that I mind, better people say they didn't like it than suffer through it) but there is only so many times we can recycle the existing ones. Should I get out the Casio ;) or does someone have a better suggestion?

O and Darmagon, are there an 6th lvl bard spells that are actually 5th level wizard/sorc/whatever spells that could be just written straight in?

Edit: O and I am going to try to do a definitive protos.tab etc tomorrow for the existing stuff (so Darmagon, Kalshane etc will know what has changed recently), if I can get the Thrommel encounter going sooner rather than later I might release another Playful NPCs update of what is out right now and the big stuff like Kalshane's mod, Darmagon's spells etc could wait til after Xmas. If people want...

2nd Edit: Darmagon, i have very little idea of what you are going to do with Warp Wood - open doors? Ruin bows? Annoy plants? Anyways, wanted to say it is a GREAT addition, a lot of role-playing opportunities for a spell like that :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I haven't played a bard with the latest patches yet (I played all the way through the game once and then started my project), so forgive me if anything I mention here has already been implemented.

High-level bard spells that already exist in ToEE:

5th Level
    Cure Light Wounds, Mass (Cleric 5th)
    Mind Fog (Wizard 5th)
    Summon Monster V (Cleric/Wizard 5th)

6th Level
    Nothing

However, a bunch of 5th and 6th level bard spells are simply Mass versions of their lower level spells. Is it easier to create a Mass version of an exisiting spell than program in a new one?

10. Shiningted

Absolutely it is - but easier again if the 6th level spell in question is already in the game as a 5th level Wizard or Sorcerer (or cleric) spell. But now I get off my bony ol' behind and check, I don't think there is.

What there IS that could be done with minimum of fuss (cause Darmagon is already doing it, or its a mass or bumped up version of an existing spell ) is:

Lvl 5:

Dispel Magic, Greater: As dispel magic, but +20 on check.
    Song of Discord: Forces targets to attack each other. (By random reassigning of faction value? If you opened with that on a room full of bugbears, I reckon there would be carnage!)
    Suggestion, Mass: As suggestion, plus one subject/level.

Lvl 6:

Analyze Dweomer: Reveals magical aspects of subject.
    Cat’s Grace, Mass: As cat’s grace, affects one subject/level.
    Charm Monster, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
    Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
    Eagle’s Splendor, Mass: As eagle’s splendor, affects one subject/level.
    Eyebite: Target becomes panicked, sickened, and comatose.
    Fox’s Cunning, Mass: As fox’s cunning, affects one subject/level.
    Shout, Greater: Devastating yell deals 10d6 sonic damage; stuns creatures, damages objects.
    Summon Monster VI: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you.

Aren't I helpful pointing these things out? :chick: But of course many if not practically all of those would be nice for other classes to have too.

11. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

Okay the mass spells for bards are in my new spell release except for charm monster, mass. Oh, I do have some good news on the radial menu front, I have radial menus working for summon monsters and summon natures allly all the way up to IX. Please note this is only for those spells and is not a general breakthrough. Now if only someone could add some appropriate summonable monsters for those levels......

Darmagon

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I fixed the dispel magic spell (to limit a maximum of +10 level bonus to caster level check) and added greater dispelling (with the maximum bonus raised to +20) and mass suggestion (needed some extra work though) shortly before 4.0.0 was released, unfortunately they didn't quite make it into the release.

I also added enough spells to be able to level up my bard to 18th level (the power word spells (while not working as they should) were pretty close to what they should've been, and a lot of fun!)

13. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

I'd personally also like to see the 5th level bard spells Greater Heroism, Summon Monster V and Mind Fog

and the 6th level bard spells Heroes' Feast, Eyebite, Summon Monster VI, Greater Shout and Sympathetic Vibration.

I think most of them are easily doable (if you know how, that is), except probably Summon Monster VI, Heroes' Feast and Eyebite.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'll worry about the spell sounds. The rest of you carry on as normal. ;)

(Ted - I'll probably be in contact w/you about this . . . you will have to handle modding them in per your breakthrough techniques. Plus I think we can still re-use some to a point. Shouldn't be too big a deal.)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  15. Shiningted

Sure. thats kewl. And thanks again for the efforts u cunning alchemists u.

Moosehead, what do u see Sympathetic Vibration for? A beefed up version of shatter?

And on the subject, the Galeb Duhr's are missing a box in their proto that is just crying out for fiddling: their subtype is blank, if it were set to mc_subtype_earth they would be susceptable to shatter (it would have to overcoem their resistance of course). It would give u a few more options in that wretched encounter, an extra use for an otherwise very limited spell, I think the missing box is a bug, and it doesn't violate the rules cause Galeb Duhrs aint in the 3.5 rules. What do people think? Anyone got an MM to see if they are meant to be some form of Earth thing like they look? (And they are flagged 'earth' in their NPC flags too).

Our Host!