Clearing the Moathouse

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Nov 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

When I spoke to Terjon after clearing the moathouse, I had the option to say something along the lines of "I've cleared those bandits out of the moathouse. Will you be able to go home now?" at which point he will say that he can't because there is evil brewing in Nulb and I should go there next. It's wierd you're having this problem. Is Terjon the one who told you to go to the moathouse in the first place. (Also, I doubt it's related, but have you agreed to go to Emridy Meadows and find his pendant yet?)

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

Truth be told, Kalshane, I am not real sure WHO gave the Moathouse quest to me, and that may be the problem. I have a NG party and went to Terjon pretty quickly after hitting Homlett, but I might have stopped at the Inn first... I did Terjon's Medallion quest right off the bat, so that's not it...

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

have you been to nulb? I think its Wat at the waterside hostel, try talking to him. It might work anyway just keep playing and see what happens.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

Umm I beat the Waterside Inn folks (except Allira) to a bloody pulp and they won't talk to me anymore-they just attack with their naked selves :) Except the Dead Dala- that'll teach her to steal from a Chaotic Good Female Elf Rogue on a bad hair day!! (Of course this was after I had already done all the quests I could do related to the Waterside Inn). Nope I think the Moathouse CLeaner Quest has to be finished in Homlett....somewhere.

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'm pretty stumped. So you killed the zombies and green slimes that are past the ogre as well? And the bandit leader (barbarian) and the rest of the bandits in their little room with the secret door to the outside and the secret stairs down to the ogre? The bandits out in the courtyard? The spider in the tower?

Sorry to be pedantic about this, but it really sounds like you missed something. I've played through the game numerous times and have never had the moathouse quest not be considered completed (though I have, under some alignments, not recieved it as a quest before, I think.) Your bug seems pretty unique.

6. lostenfowned

lostenfowned Member

I run a CG party of four....skipped the gnolls and bugbears in the moathouse...told the sargeant I had a delivery for the master....killed Lareth when I got in to see him....left and went back to the Inn....got the 'rep' as moathouse cleaner.... Went back later to kill the rest of those idiots standing around without a leader.....

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Remember that the Moathouse as a quest is a Co8 add-on, originally done in Vicks & Wedge, I believe. I wonder, in what way was it integrated into 4.0.0, being as V&W is defintely not in there? It should be simple enough to figure out what the flag(s) are, and whether it exists for all alignments.

For the record, I'm playing LN, where your first mission is to go talk to Kenter Nevets, who tells you to go check out the moathouse, and I don't have it listed as a quest at all. :shrug:

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

Well, back again-- I have a few things to say-- I am pretty sure that I killed everything in and around the Moathouse.-- Bandits inside and out- Ogre, crawfish, Lareth and lackies- is there another Ogre or am I reading Kalshane's wrong? I killed Lubash the one ogre, and freed the captives, and killed gnolls and bugbears and the bandits from the secret cave entrance outside that had the barbarian leader.

Kalshane--nothing is pedantic at this point-- I want all the little details spelled out so I can figure out how to finish this thing :)

But others have posted (here and on sorcers.net and gamebanshee) that they had problems getting this completed too, so I'm not alone, just frustrated. Although I have a great support group trying to figure it out with me! As gaear says- may be a bug. :(

I do have the rep as moathouse cleaner, and I have gone beyond that part of the game, but .. the darn quest won't complete-- Terjon said nothing to end it :( -Nor Burne or Jaroo or Black Jay--Ugh.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  9. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I can't look into this atm, since I'm out of town for the holiday, but this is what someone needs to do. The moathouse quest was an add-on that was included in 4.0.0. I believe it was originally posted it the thread for Ted's mod (correct me if I'm wrong Ted, I probably am). I am fairly certain that Ted put this Moathouse as Quest thing in his files for inclusion it 4.0.0 (once again, correct me if I'm wrong Ted). Somebody needs to check the dialog files for that Moathouse as Quest add-on, and see what triggers the quest completed. Go to the source, as my Kaizen sensei says. I will look into it once I am home, but if somebody else wants to do it in the mean time, that would be great.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, the person who made the mod initially for Vicks and Wedge (Borsook, I believe) wandered by and amended it for my mod. It is triggered by Terjon or Jaroo.

I suspect is NOT firing for you because:

- Jaroo's only works if you are true nuetral

- Terjon's only works if u have not yet discovered Nulb (its meant to occur as part of the whole triggering Nulb thing - you return to Terjon, tell him u have cleared the Moathouse, quest goes complete and he tells you your path now lies in the direction of Nulb).

So as with some other quests in the game, it only works if you do it in the right order.

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

AHA! OK, well now I know! Thanks Ted and big Blue :) I definitely discovered Nulb before returning to Terjon, and I am sure that Jaroo wouldn't tell my NG group (no single caracter is True nuetral in it either). So, it is kind of a bug- more of a can't complete because out of order thing-- we will all know this for the next poor sap that falls into thhis predicament! Thanks all.

12. kellinjar

kellinjar Member

I also have this problem with a NG party, I believe I talked to someone before talking to Terjon which gave me nulb.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

That's what it is with mine, to be sure. I had Nulb on the map in my NG game before re-visiting Terjon. I've got the rep, but not the green mission in the list. Oh, well.

Side note...Ted, I finally managed to beat the pack of people who invaded my charming little cottage in Nulb. Thanks for making me walk back & forth to Homlett a zillion times to rest & craft until I was finally able to beat them!!!
    ;) Seriously, this is one of the better fights in the game now. Very difficult until I hit level 7, with a 6 member party no less, and having crafted more than a few weapons & accessories to do it. My only criticism is that it might be a little too tough.

Oh, and I found an empty house in Hommlet that I'd love to buy and turn into a mosh pit. It has the "Cave" music from Diablo playing as ambient music...

...Lord _Spike's Metal Bar! I wonder who is responsible for that little bit of modding? I definetly owe them some cookies and beer!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, I stuck the cave music in there, haven't u done DH? Thats the music you sent me!

As for the Nulb rumble - alas, that is one of Liv's. Would that I could do such things ;)

And Liv would doubtless sneer at your too tough comment. How can a fight be TOO tough? (Actually she'd be stoked I suspect).

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ted, if I ever get down under there, I'll be toting the Sam Adams & the Chewy Chips Ahoy!

:dribble: :drunk:

Our Host!