Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

After reactivating a module, the game should indeed revert to a 'pure' state of exactly and only what's included in the modpack, so something is indeed fishy. Not having a clue what could have gone wrong anywhere along the line for you, I'd suggest you just start over from the ground up, sorry.

It's normal - we don't update the version number for patches in the front end, but you can always see exactly what version you're playing in in-game Help.

Hardcoded graphics limitation that we can't reach, yes.

What sirchet said. The only thing I'll add is that it's always been this way ... once again, core mechanics at work.

We still have to finish all long descriptions, yes.

Yep, we still have to truncate some long descriptions too. If you come across any of these, you should report them in the pathnode and UI sticky thread in this forum.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Thanks Gaear... I'll probably get to it this weekend. BTW, I posted the merchant fixes I spotted in the "Let's Populate the Merchant's Row" thread.

3. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thanks a lot, Gaear!

I thought Co8 8.0.0 was the last major release so I didn't imagine you'd still work on truncating some long descriptions or even adding long descriptions for some items in the future. Good to know you intend to do it.

4. Gaear

Well it is the last major release; all those other things can be added in patches and sub-releases.

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Is the wonnilon bug only happening for me or is it known already?

6. Salk

Salk Established Member

In a house in Hommlet, there is a woman in a strange place strange place (see picture). It's not possible to click to talk to her, and I am not surprised, since it seems like she is somewhere outside the local map (check the top right quadrant).

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Well, I tried the complete uninstall and reinstall gig with no joy. Curiously, after running all three uninstall applications (8.0.1, 8.0.0, TOEE itself), there was still about 1.2 GB of data I had delete manually. After reinstall and reactivation, the game still crashes when "loading sector data" with or without intro movies enabled. I'm running as administrator with all the appropriate exceptions in anti-virus, and have tried various compatibility modes, to include scaling disabled. As before, Process Monitor shows a bunch of REGKEY actions, then the program exits "successfully".

8. Sutemi

Sutemi Member

A minor question:
    How to wake up a sleeping character? At this moment I have to attack them in order to wake them up (usually with a fist).

9. Gaear

Daryk, just to refresh my memory, this is all after the game having worked fine on the same system with no changes made? It just went belly up?

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

As far as I can tell, yes. I was playing along fine, having finally gotten to Verbobonc in one piece and was checking out the vendors. I saved out, made a tweak to invensource.mes, noticed it didn't take and tried to reload the save. At that point, it told me my save was corrupt, so I exited out and tried to restart the game, and haven't been able to since. When it tries to load, it gets to "Initializing Sector Data", then CTD. And it's doing that even after a complete slick and reinstall.

11. Gaear

Antivirus is behaving?

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Appears to be. I have the entire folder excluded from scans and blocking, just like it was before the slick and reinstall. I even specifically added TOEEa.exe to the exclusion list.

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hmmm, maybe try copying (i.e. duplicating) the entire ToEE folder? Sounds weird, but it did the trick for me once.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I'm headed to bed shortly, but will definitely give it a try later this week. Thanks for the tip!

15. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Originally posted by Daryk:
    I suspect that those long coat numbers from materials.mes might be meshes, not item proto numbers. All item proto numbers are listed in the following 2 files only (do NOT use any other sources when adding item proto numbers to InvenSource.mes):

\data\mes\description.mes

\data\mes\long_description.mes

Those long coat (mesh?) numbers might be what caused your game and saved games to become corrupt.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
Our Host!