Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Technically speaking... (do this at your own risk)

A salvo of Scather with maxed-out Power Attack is good for 100hp damage or more. If the Balor is near death, Scather is a guaranteed way of finishing him, and as long as he dies you don't get the bug.

(No responsibility taken if he stands there on 1hp and ruins your game).

Also, if you do get that sort of lockup for some reason, try getting the character to drink a potion.

2. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

If I remember right, the cycle of 'Scather answers Balor's fire attack, resulting in more fire damage, which Scather answers, etc etc' doesn't happen if the PC with Scather isn't of CG alignment. Certain other alignments get the autohit but not the answering functions (pretty sure LG is amongst these). Haven't tried this for years though so I may be out of date.

3. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

I have a solution for this, but I'm not into scripting yet and really reluctant if it will work or not. So how about we remove the fire-shield of 'Balor' so Scather/Fragarach will not suffer from this bug, instead your PC will received damage from an unknown source, which is: If 'Balor' is attacked within 'range-of-melee and suffered damage' then cast burning hands on the attacker. If this will work then problem solved I guess... The drawback is you will not be able to counter-attack the fire damage received from 'Balor', but that ends the never-ending loop.

4. Jo

Jo Member

It was in the fire node where it was happening most consistently, but it was happening outside of the Balor fight. I imagine some sort of similar effect must have been happening, but I'm not sure what. Whatever it was, it's cleared up now.

It seems that the answering attack, or automatic return attack for getting hit isn't working every time the character gets hit, but it does kick in from time to time. Not that I'm too concerned about it. The weapon is crazy powerful in the game as it is. In fact, it might make the game too easy, especially when coupled with a belt of giant strength (+6) and a full +10 dump into power attack. Interestingly, when Iuz appeared in the Hedrack fight, I surrounded my character with Otiluke's Sphere to keep her safe. Every attack Iuz did against her actually ended up somehow resulting in damage to Iuz, well over 300 points worth before Cuthbert appeared. I was beginning to think it might be possible to kill Iuz, which would be incredible.

For the first time I'm exploring the Verbobonc content, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the new stuff.

5. Nightcanon

Question re the Gremlich quest in NC 8.01:
    I have received the threatening note from the Samaritan of Hextor, which directs me to Mona for more info. However, I can't find Mona in her spot on the walkway near the Boatmen's Tavern. Re-reading the note and revisiting the spot doesn't work; I've tried different times of day and looked in pretty much all the other buildings in Nulb too. Is this a known issue? There has been a bit of a delay in my looking as I wanted the fight WOTGS first- figured I might as well make Hextor properly grumpy with me...

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I thought Mona became a shopkeeper in Verbonnoc now, depending on what you did with her in Nulb- or am I thinking of something else?

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Regarding Fragarach and Scather:

In my opinion, it's best to always have a Chaotic Neutral character wield Fragarach or Scather because that character is able to wield these weapons the best but without ever experiencing the answering swords loop bug.

Nightcanon, once you have talked to Mona (or maybe it is once you have freed Serena, or maybe it is once you have returned Mona's Orb to her), Mona will spend the rest of the game in her home (which, from memory, I believe is the building to the left of building number 7 (i.e. Ah Fong's emporium) in the map below).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  8. Nightcanon

Thanks, that rings a bell. I'll check it out.

9. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Getting spirited away to Verbobonc after the Zuggtmoy fight and arriving there unrested and with all spell effects still on is a bit nonplussing. Especially since the Vrock spores tend to leave a permaspell issue, which you need to cure with Jaroo. Also, it looks like they forgot to grab the gemstones from the throne.

10. Forgalz

Actually, it looks like Jaroo can't do it either. How do you get rid of this fricking purple cloud effect?

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It's been my experience that just getting used to it is the only option other than reloading. :(

12. Forgalz

Reloading doesn't help. The way the Zuggy fight is set up, it is practically guaranteed that all frontline fighters end up fuming purple.

Well, looks like I have to quit my playthrough here. No way I'm going through the rest of this with three annoying purple clouds in the party.

13. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Actually, Zuggy is vulnerable to Stinking Cloud and Magic Missiles- hit her with that (and Frostbrand) before she summons help and your fighters will have nothing to worry about, although it helps to have Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration as feats for you spell casters...

14. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

It goes away, like other visual spell effect leftovers that sometimes linger. At the moment I can't remember how to get rid of this one (even though I just went through this part last week -- don't get old; there ain't no future in it), but I usually do all/some of these:
    After the combat and spell duration ends,
    -Press the "C" hotkey (combat) a few times
    -Change screens (go through a door portal/exit the current screen)
    -Rest for 8 hrs (or more, maybe 1 day) in an Inn or safe/green resting place

If that doesn't work, may I suggest silvery or golden accessories (shoes, cloak, gauntlets/gloves, feathered cap) -- they go well with a purple wardrobe, I hear.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  15. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I finally finished my 7.9 play through, and just started on 8.0.1. I noticed the "take thief's items" option for the NG start is missing his 20 crossbow bolts. It's not much, but right out of the gate that could make a difference to someone.

Our Host!