Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

Re: 7.9 Known Issues

One small question before I start the testing: Will that file replacement render my old saves obsolete? (I won't use them in the testing process, but I don't want to restart the campaign too :p)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, it won't, but if you find that this solves all your problems, then you won't want to go back to the old save(s) and reimport the problems.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

OK, I have followed the instructions exactly as written and am still getting a crash during the logos.

The only difference is that I had to use task manager to end ToEE this time.

I have attempted 5 starts with and without intro disabled and all are crashing at the start of the logos, I don't even get to see the Atari stuff.

EDIT: I am using the 4.3 experimental version of the FE.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  4. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Are we supposed to have the TFE-x v4.3 experimental build plus temple.dll with the help.tab fix? I know your seperating the problem but I think consolidating help.tab fix and TFE-X 4.3 plus temple.dll (w/o Ajitae reshack) will help address Sirchet's problem better, like yours, I assume.

Sirchet can play through using (TFE-X 4.3 plus temple.dll w/o Ajitae reshack), but have a parse problem with (help.tab) which can be fix by the updated (help.tab)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. Gaear

Testing with either one (or both) would be helpful.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Submitting more improvements:

-Made moathouse Giant Frogs trigger each other, so you don't get to kill them one at a time
    -Earth Temple reinforcements / reactivity:
    -The ghouls near the Gelatinous cube will rush in to aid the harpies (applying pressure to your rear ranks too)
    -The ogre will join the gnolls near the southern entrance
    -Romag's troops will join the fight if you attack him
    -Tweaked the script for the earth chests near the altar

Protos modified: Giant Frog (14057)

Attached Files:

7. Gaear

Added all, thanks. :thumbsup:

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Since you're tweaking the frogs, any chance of adding the treasure they're supposed to have from the pen and paper module (a few low value gems as I recall).

9. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

GREAT improvements - I love the amendments. Any chance of tweaking the moathouse bandits so they don't attack one at a time (also the revisited Undead in the same place)?

10. Sitra Achara

More submissions:

1. The courtyard bandits got the triggering treatment
    2. (after epic struggle with ToEEeee) Second version of Spiritual Weapon exploit prevention - (most) AIs will now ignore Spiritual Weapons, and summoned creatures as well.

This time, instead of moving the spiritual weapon around (which is probably what caused crashes in the first version), I change the AI to 'target damaged' and apply 1000 HP damage to the closest PC (alongside a 1000 HP boost so it doesn't die :) ), so that the AI targets the PC, and then immediately switch everything back.
    This method also allows better control of AI targeting - could be useful for other things as well. (Such as the Otiluke sphere exploit... ;) )

I would greatly appreciate some testing of 2. I've tested it on the Moathouse and it worked fine, but I wouldn't want to fuck up the v8 release with unexpected bugs.

Note that among the exceptions are the Giant Frogs - I didn't want to mess with their tongue grapple script - so test it elsewhere ;)
    Also, in the Lareth fight, sometimes scripts just plain don't work - known issue, may be related to the large number of participants. But even so, it works most of the time, especially after you kill a few troops.

Attached Files:

11. sirchet

Is there a way to have the PC not automatically target a spiritual weapon with a Cleve attack?

It seems that if a spiritual weapon is within range the Cleve attack will ALWAYS attack the spiritual weapon, (which it cannot damage).

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

You might want to think twice about not targeting summons at all. That sounds like a "summon elder elemental and run for it" exploit to me.

13. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Regarding the Hextor ring and the encounter in
    temple level 1
    , has the summoning tactic been removed from the enemy encounter? I reloaded three times before the battle but each time I killed them off without have to deal with any summoned creatures.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  14. Sitra Achara

More:

-Added Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to the AI exploit prevention fix
    -Made Earth Temple Guards trigger the Earth Temple Fighters in the nearby room
    -Added san_start_combat to some critters so they benefit from the AI fix:
    14156, 14164, 14168, 14172, 14176, 14337, 14338
    -Added the fix to some scripts (311, lareth troops, feldrin)

@ sirchet - you mean the PC cleaves into a friendly SW? If so, probably hardcoded and beyond fixing, but I might look into it.

@ Daryk - my experience has shown this to be a non-issue most of the time, but if someone wants to completely cheese the game, more power to them. The bigger issue as far as I'm concerned was that the AI was acting dumb on normal or semi-normal playstyles (your PCs are clearly a higher priority target than some summoned celestial dog or whatever).

Attached Files:

15. sirchet

No, what I mean is if a fighter has great cleve and is surrounded by foes and one of them is a spiritual weapon cast by an enemy cleric, he will always attack the SW as the first target of his cleve effectively nullifying his great cleve.

Btw, in our PnP sessions our DM allows a magical weapon to damage a SW. :)

Our Host!