Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Re: 7.9 Known Issues

I started getting crashes in the game when movies were triggered - arriving at the temple - finding the skull. I tried out different screen resolutions and found one which did not quite fit my screen but the movies ran ok. i saved changed back to my preferred resolution and carried on and it works fine.

with one exception

2. neorequiem

neorequiem Member

Hello world,

When I was in 7.8 I had hard time passing the movies launch in game (the orb discovery - the temple discovery ...)

When I got to 7.9 there was no way i could past the death of Zuggtmoy

Like sirchet, but restarting never allowed me to past it.

I tryed every was to fix this :

- first by checking my scaling and the other thing
    - then by changing the location of every movie files
    - then by doing what Agetian proposed (reinstall ...)
    - finaly by doing what Zoltec proposed
    - tried every resolution (nb 800*600 made the screen freez when i tryed to load a game - where you select the saved game)

no way i could pass Zuggtmoy death, but now i can run Front End without admin

Even if the version shouldn't have any thing to do with it, I installed 7.8 (with the old Front end - if I just try to activate 7.8 with the new Front end it won't work), activated it (had to started it 2 times befor it worked) got 1024*768 , changed the movies location (created a folder in the movie folder and put all movies in it)
    then I could pass Zuggtmoy death (got no xp for it, don't no if it's normal) then saved game and backup them
    I reinstalled 7.9 (so I could have the new Front end again - and the movies got back in their folder)
    restored my saved game put back my resolution 1680*1050
    note that I can see the intro movie that way
    And continue playing (well i overwrited my backup so I did'nt continued playing, I try it all over again and I'll tell you if it is worjing the same)

So even if it can't be the version, it is for me (win 7 and 64X)

Of course I'm speaking of NC version

hope it will help someone

love chocolate and tenderness

3. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Thanks for that helpful info! It seems moving those movies in a different folder solves your issue? Am I correct? But should you move all except the following: (Slave Traders and Gremlich) since, it is a part of the NC expansion and won't show if you move them from a different folder.

4. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

I also tried what Zoltec suggested with the toee.cfg and it still didn't work, because after a few tries it started deleting the ''movies_seen='' entry altogether. I realised that both the full entry ''movies_seen=(304,-1)'' and NO entry at all concerning the movies both result in a crash.
    Anyway, I don't think that this has anything to do with the issue, it's just a history the game keeps to review the videos in the Game Cinematics option in-game.

5. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Sorry, If I didn't updated my post @ page 2 of this thread. The right one would be "movies_seen=null" not "movies_seen=", actually it's not the fix for movie crashes in-game, but it is for splash screen loading only.

But you know there's an explanation why it disappears from the toee.cfg file. The "movies_seen=" will disappear only if a certain crash happen on the splash screen, from there it will automatically disappear on the toee.cfg file. That's why instead of movies_seen= I'd try to change to movies_seen=null to avoid it from disappearing.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. neorequiem

neorequiem Member

So after I overwrited my save game after Zuggtmoy death

I had no choice (tyed activating 7.8 but don't work) but to uninstall and reinstall the game

I have noted that i can"t do the PATCH 1, but PATCH 2 work (coudn't find the directory) (note that I have original french CD bought the year of the release)

Installed and activated 7.8, set resolution to 1024*768, moved all movies and kill Zuggtmoy (in a ugly way by the way, with a holy word (good priest spell lev 7)) still didn't get any XP (I first thought it was because I forgot to increase the level cap but I did it his time and still no XP, nor her name on my logbook)

Saved, and made a backup

installed and activated 7.9
    restored my save, and now I can continue playing

When I move the movies in 7.9 it doesn't work (still got crash on movie launch)
    Moving movies work just like the disable intro (meaning that when i move the movies I disable intro)
    In 7.8 I could watch the intro movie, in 7.9 I have to disable it or I get a crash

When I install (or activate) 7.9 the game reput the movies in the right directory, so I'll see those NC movies (well I'll tell you if I get there)

So for me it's just a version issue

I hope you understood every thing I said, after all I'm not native english, I thank you for giving me the oportunity to keep playing my favored DD game with my favored DD rules (3.5) that I had to stop playing a long time ago with that directX. I only started to looking for a patch last month because i've played neverwinter online and it reminded me that I had TOEE. And I found you.

Thanks again.

love chocolate and tenderness

7. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

Tried it with ''movies_seen=null'', entry remains but still crashes at start-up. The only viable solution thus far is a system restart. I'm trying to spot all the files updating with each game boot and see if I can find something out.

8. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

From where do it crashes? Is it the splash screen or the intro movies? The answer for that would be very helpful for my investigation. Thanks.

9. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

@neorequiem No, you should thank the Co8 Team :) Yes I understood all of it to the best of my ability. Anyway, thanks a lot for the info.

10. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

I'm sorry for not being specific. It crashes the time it's about to play the introcinematic.bik, a couple of seconds after the ''Initializing sector...'' loading screen.

11. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

No problem. Did you try disabling the intro movies through Front-End?

12. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

When I disable the intro it loads perfectly. But I like movies and I like finding solutions to problems! :D

13. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Ho-ho, an enthusiast. :) Well, then It's a movie problem ain't it. So what desktop resolution do you use? Is it 1024x768? And lastly what's your OS.

14. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

Windows 7 Ultimate 64x, Nvidia GTX 560ti, Intel i5 2500k.

My native resolution is 1920x1080 but I use 1280x720 via TFE-X because my eyes would bleed if I kept reading a font that small.

15. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Go here http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm and download "The RAD Video Tools [1.2MB]" After that install it. You don't need to pay anything from there just download.

Look for it in its installed directory, open RADVideo folder then run radvideo.exe

We'll start from there. Alright :D

Our Host!