Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Why were you doing HB at level 13, D?

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

While preparing to fight Hedrack my sorcerer miscast the Stoneskin spell she was trying to place on the fighter when she (the fighter) made her save, instead casting Protection from Law- a spell she doesn't even know. Anyone else ever have this happen? (This is v.7.8 NC BTW)

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

@Gaear: I thought it had been moved to after the Temple, so I didn't try to start it ahead of time. Has it not been moved yet? If it hasn't, I missed out on a ton of XP. Most of HB was worthless XP-wise to a 13th level party. And seriously, given your overhaul of the Senshock fight, I really can't wait to see what you do with HB.

@Gehennis: I've noticed that if you are trying to drink potions after loading near an enemy spellcaster, the game engine occasionally will apply the (defensive) spell the enemy was casting vice the potion. I would assume the same happens with spells you're trying to cast. To fix it, either wait for the enemy to finish buffing, or move farther away to do your own buffing.

4. Gaear

No, HB hasn't been moved yet. Moathouse Respawn was moved in 7.8. You'll know when HB has been moved because you won't be able to go there until after you get to Verbobonc. ;)

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I must have misread the respawn moving to mean all the new content except Welkwood bog.

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I just talked to Bear Essentials and they also don't buy their primary stock and trade (leather) at full price. The good news is that Cyn's Silks (next door) does.

7. Gaear

Okay, I see the issue with Veenah and Heather. Apparently if you don't have an invensource buy number assigned to the seller as well as the seller's chest, they pay less, similar to the buy-anything-but-at-a-reduced-price setting. Not sure if we ever knew that before specifically. :p

Can you check and see if Veenah/Heather will buy anything at all, or just cloth/leather armor respectively at a reduced price? If the former, it means no buy setting in invensource.mes defaults to 2 - buy anything but at a reduced price; if the latter it means a new behavior we were not likely aware of - buy the stuff you deal in but at a reduced price.

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Will do... give me a few to finish going over the forum.

EDIT: Yep, Veenah and Heather buy everything at half price.

9. Gehennis

In the Water Node my 11th level sorcerer just finished off the hezrou guardian and the 2 large water elementals with Cone of Cold- which did 22d6+0= 88 damage. If the max is supposed to be 10d6 damage, would the feats Spell Focus Evocation and Greater Spell Focus Evocation account for this- or do I just have Dr. Strange in my party? Spells in effect were Bless, Prayer and Haste for the sorcerer (well everyone really but these were the only ones affecting her), Stinking Cloud on the monsters and for the melee types Stoneskin, Cat's Grace, Protection from Evil and Enlarge Person (the cleric/fighter had Righteous Might in effect).

10. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Originally posted by Sitra Achara:

11. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Just got to Verbobonc in 7.8 and have been checking out the merchants' row. The signs are a big improvement.
    I was pleased to find bulk buying of arrows is possible at Aerich Dragonbanes (I get through a fair few these days!). However, I think he also sold me a +1 holy light xbow for about 9cp, which was a surprise. I was half expecting there to be something wrong with it but it seems to work as a regular holy weapon.

Has the Zuggtmoy battle been adjusted at all recently? The fungi she summoned were pretty tricky, which I can't remember from previous games. Then again, prior to discovering NC she didn't last longer against Scather + full power attack + strength buffs + haste, and since NC I've tended to do other stuff first and ticked her off as an afterthought at around 17th level...

12. Gaear

Zugg has not been adjusted. You may be feeling the pinch now because Moathouse Respawn and all of Verbobonc are no longer available before Zugg ... which was the intention. Hopefully players will start finding that part of the game hard again. :transform

13. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Thought that might be the case. Perhaps she just wasn't surviving long enough to summon when I did the preNC campaign- though in fact I think I used to destroy the skull first, which is supposed to weaken her a bit iirc.
    I have mixed views on the Hickory Branch news- I'm sure it will be fantastic, but I love HB as it is, too. I usually go at the first opportunity, so not quite 5th level, and it seems so well balanced for that. Go cautiously and pull back early and it is challenging but doable; take on one fight too many without checking what healing you have available and it could be tpk time. Still, looking forward to the new stuff too.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Now that would be an idea: retain the existing Hickory Branch at its current point in the game, and add a follow on base at higher level...

15. Gehennis

The good news is that I have finished my round of playing thru the alignments with the TN party being the last- while the neutral alignments don't get offered the rewards of some of the good alignments they don't suffer the problem of not being able to use evil or chaotic weapons- and of course they can use holy weapons as well which makes them a good alignment for those that want to use any weapon w/o consequence.

The bad part of this is that due to my forgetting to backup my saves before trying out the new front end (shame, shame!), I've only the 2 saves each from my last 4 alignments played- LE, CG, CN and TN. The upside is that now I can go back and try new party builds, strategies and whatnot- and considering that some of those other play thrus were done before some of the NC was moved to Verbononnoc, I think I might actually have to think up some new ways to play the game- which is were all the fun comes from of course...:)

Our Host!