Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

Thank you for the rsvp Gear - I've read the "Portraits Made Easy" thread - were I to embark on such an endeavor, well let's just say that I still have enough humanity left not to inflect the results upon the innocent....

***** Bug Report NC 7.0 *****

Getting frequent CDTs when deploying a Spiritual Weapon.

I saved the resulting XP generated text file if that is of any value. Please let me know if I can be further assistance.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

biobaba said;
    3. I am not sure how many properties exactly you can add onto a weapon, it seems that whenever I try to add all 3 burst effects at the same time I would get CTD. Occasionally it does work though but for the most of ttime it won't. I was thinking maybe this is due to the weapon itself already has a lot of properties (+1,2,3,Holy,flame, and etc in addition to all the bursts)

The thing I've found to crash my game when enchanting is not how many enchants, but if the description for them over runs the borders of the screen it's shown in.

You know, when you hit the right arrow and the enchantment is added to the name of your weapon/armor. If this name is longer than can be shown inside this box it will usually crash your game.

My solution has been to click the right arrow to add the enchantment and then simply changing the name of the weapon/armor to something shorter like Frosty Burning Holy Glaive+3.

Hope this helps.

3. Ravenloft Arcanist

Ravenloft Arcanist Member

First off, thanks to the Co8 modding community for taking Atari's TOEE and making it into what it should have been (and more). Truly, you are some talented individuals!

I compulsorily play Wee Jassian Wizards and Clerics, and tend toward using necromancy spells. This being so, I've been wondering if there will be a future spell fix for Vampiric Touch. While the spell causes damage to the enemy, it still does not add temporary hit points to the caster (hence, it's appeal).

Also, I've noticed that Detect Secret Doors and the scroll version of Animate Dead doesn't work either.

I know these are minor issues, but my Wizards are pining to use these spells in the game. Should I keep my hopes up for a future fix or are these officially "dead" spells?

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Fixing spells isn't something that's at the top of the hit parade right now, so I wouldn't wait around for anything like that.

We'll most likely do a spells overhaul (courtest of dolio) one day, but I don't know how that applies to the spells you mentioned.

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Speaking of reactive temples; I really enjoy them. Because with the other NC content, my party is at level 10 already before doing anything on temple level 2, and when the temples gather all of their baddies in one battle it becomes much more challanging, in fact enough that I still find it difficult with my higher levels.

Which brings me to my question. Will there be a reactive earth temple mod? Gather the temple troops (earth) and bugbear/gnolls/ogres into the earth temple shrine room (the one with the four chests) and have a big fight there? It makes sense to have one, seeing as the other 3 temples have them, and would provide a funner fight.

6. Gaear

I think SA had basically intended that (reactive Earth) but he encountered various difficulties that scuttled it. I guess it remains to be seen if he'll ever resurrect that part.

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Reputation question:

I was working the traders/courier/assassin quest line, and after screwing around with it half a dozen times, I was unable to aquire both the "Target of Revenge" rep and "Purveyors of Swift Justice." Was the scripting changed so you don't get Swift Justice if you only kill one of the traders? If so, why?

I also found that attacking Jayfie (which is how I used to regularly aquire the Swift Justice rep) turned the village against me. I guess I understand that, the villagers don't know Jayfie is a stooge for the spies, but then I am left wondering: if you can't kill Jayfie, how do you pick up Swift Justice w/o sacrificing the Revenge rep and encounter?

8. Gaear

No, that hasn't changed in forever. It looks like you do only get the rep if they're both dead though. They must be considered a package deal.

That was probably a more recent development. The labor camp was given its own faction for some reason or other, which would cause other laborers to attack you if you attack Jayfie. And while Jayfie doesn't share the Hommlet faction, the other laborers do, which is probably how the village would go against you by extension. As you say, it kind of makes sense as you're never really justified in summarily executing Jayfie.

You could kill the courier. ;)

Killing these guys causes that rep: Otello, Rannos & Gremag, the courier, Jayfie, Mickey.

Do you really have to get Swift Justice?

9. erkper

:yes: My Pally of St Cuthbert is rather insistent on that point. :shrug:

I suppose it isn't required... but otoh I don't see why you shouldn't get the Swift Justice rep for killing one of the traders while the other escapes. The result (from the townspeople's perspective) is pretty much the same - they are denied the traders' shop with no trial to justify the loss. Burne's conversation with you is about the same as well, griping that you acted without consent of the council, then grudgingly acknowledging your right to protect yourselves from assassins, etc.

I would suggest granting the Swift Justice rep to any party that initiates combat with the traders, even if one escapes, maybe even if neither is killed. After all, it's the intent that matters, not neccessarily the result, as I read the reputation's description. ;)

Does that mean I'll get the rep when/if the Revenge fight is concluded? Kind of replace the Target of Revenge rep? Or do they have to die in Hommlet?

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

1. If you select too many targets, the game tends to overload and crash. Not sure if it depends on the game engine or your machine. I've found that 10 is the reasonable upper limit for the number of targets.

2. If you hand a weapon with a crafted enchantment to a character who cannot craft that enchantment, exactly that will happen. One of the game's many quirks.

3. Game crashes if the weapon name becomes too long. Otherwise, there is still an upper limit on the craftability, but I forget what it is. It's something like 5-6.

11. erkper

The upper limit depends on the EEL of the weapon, so different combinations of enhancements will/may work. IIRC the game actually lets you go over the limit due to some bug or other, and GIVES you massive amounts of copper pieces when you craft over the supposed EEL cap amount. (I think it's supposed to cap at 10, and lets you actually go to 13 or something like that.)

12. Gaear

I think I agree actually. We'll see about changing that (assuming I don't discover any other nebulous Livonya scripting consequences for doing so ;)).

I'm not sure atm but I suspect it does.

13. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW, TEXT NOT MADE INVISIBLE

Wall-o-text below

Party comprised of 5 LG PCs, no Paladin. Departure from norm for me, usually LE, NE, CE. My LG role play may be suspect, but I've been trying.

Completed Ratting out Hextor, prior to then completing Monster Mash. Slavers, Drow, Frozen Assets and Escaped Prisoners also all done. Found Uncle Gnome way way way way way way (let me know when you think I've typed too many ways) way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way underneath the the mountaintop trees. No gem, apparently Zook thinks I didn't try hard enough, forgives me for it though. While I was 'not trying hard enough' I investigated every new door in Verbbonc to all the unoccupied rooms. Visited all the 'players' in Verb. politics. Tab keyed every room of my new castle. Traveled on foot to Hommett and Nulb and wandered aimlessly around the countryside to all the other places I'd previously visited and cleared of miscreants. Btw, in Welkwood Bog the courage red flags appear on my party as if the traveling Pelor Cleric was there waiting patiently to be ambushed. Nothing else there. All that w/ Monster Mash complete, (several days, several maps) still no Gremlich.

Come Under Surveilance during this time. Explore my suspicions about Darlia and Lerrik. Could never get in position to rat out the brotherhood earlier (before getting Hextor Rat rep), no offer by Darlia to rob some dwarves at a hostel of their gemstones. (I suspect a low bluff value on my face character, all other face skills were maxed into the teens). Lerrik admits without really admitting that he is having me followed. I would kill him, but in a previous version I did and they exucuted me in the town square. Wilfrick unresposive (Hey, dad, can I kill him, huh?, can I?, can I?, can I?). I'm assuming my Scarlet Brotherhood interaction is done if I want to remain in character.

So, I'm wandering around aimlessly for days, no purpose, no Gremlich, get bored and activate WotGS thru Smythe. Get dialog from Traveller turned Arrakis about Hommlett leader statuses and the start explanation for WotGS. Go visit WW and Elmo and pledge to defend the town. Wander around Hommett and travel to most map locations nearby for 2 days. Make report after 1 day as requested, nothing to report. Visit all the self absorbed/protect my flock and intersts leaders that haven't left town.

When making the report on the 2nd day Arrakis has detained a 3 HP unarmed traveller who immediately initiates combat upon entrance to the town elder's quarters. I suspect this is the guy who used to throw off his disguise and appear in Senshock's old clothes before threatening you and dissappearing in WotGS 1.0. Repeatedly pressing the 'c' key doesn't stop combat. Calm emotions fires, appears to be working, but unarmed man (apparently without improved unarmed combat feat) still attacks. Even with 'non lethal damage' box checked from radial menu, AoO's from the party still kill him (-113 nonlethal from instantly coming in range of multiple PCs, -10 real HP and 'Dead'. Went through all this because immediately when combat ends Arrakis initiates his 'why dont you take a crack at him' dialog. Immediate return to combat on raise dead. After giving his speil, Arrakis immediately returns to 'Traveler' label when hovered over by arrow and will no longer respond to dialog attempts of any type, even when dominated. Travel to visit Uncle Tree Gnome in the trees on the bottom of the mountain, no joy, no useful info (as usual so far) (info on person works for a few entry level people, other dialog path for 'specifics' just results in -->> and <<--. Travel back toward Hommett, get unavoidable RE with all of Robyn's misspelled merry men on the way. I have 9th level spells for a sorc, wiz and a good/lawful cleric at this point. They didn't last 2 rounds. I go back to 'town defense center' at town elder's house (without rest) and still can't get Arrakis/now Traveler again to respond. 3 HP dude still dead on the floor.

Had appently known glitch with the shade originally in Castle of Lords. Very similar to others already reported (saw recent fix in another thread). I just played through when it occured.

Had some weirdness that seemed like the old spell effect gitch, green circular animation from Protection from Enengy-Acid remained after Zuggy fight (finished before going to Verb.) fight all the way through the Robinn Hood encounter. No flag on character portrait though. Jaroo kill and reincarnate fix didn't work. Seemed to function properly, initial EP was restored on the Jaroo reincarnation. Character accumlated EP as normal until Robin Hood fight way later. Then the animation/effect dissapeared at some point during that fight. 4 of 5 PCs received enough EP to level up. Affected character received none from the same battle where animation dissapeared. ????. Tick, tick, tick, boom! is what it feels like. Is this playthrough about to enter the "you must start over" Twilight Zone?

Please excuse any offense caused by my frustrated angst. Frustrated because I can't seem to get at any of the "new" 7.0NC content, almost everything so far has been 6.XNC rehash, changed and improved, but other than Zuggy and the gnome, all previously encountered stuff. Idk, may just be my lack of experience in LG gameplay. New CotL does look really good. Having trouble separating the new 7.0NC from apparent glitches.

Thanks for listening. Please help.

I'll ask the same question I once asked my wife, 'Honey, am I doing it wrong?'
    Thanks.

14. Gaear

NP ... just imagine what it's like for me. :aaaa:

Did you actually rat the Hextorites out (talked to Ramses about it)? The Gremlich affair should 'activate' after that and/or Monster Mash the next time you set foot in Verbo via the worldmap. (A Verbo guard should have something to say.)

SPOILER

Gnomes are (apparently) noteworthy for not always being truthful. e.g., there is no gem.

Don't really follow ... are you saying you've never done anything for Darlia/the SB at all? You have to accept at least the first job in order to proceed.

This makes no sense at all, as the old man is in no way set to KOS (either by flags or scripting). The guy he turns into is actually even a different proto.

Could you upload a save somewhere?

15. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Thanks for the help, the listening and the response Geaer, sometimes just allowing a little steam to exit via the relief valve allows the system operate more efficiently.
    Could I just enter a query to the console to get the flag position of the old man?

Our Host!