Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. kungfuramone

kungfuramone Member

Ah, no, that's what it was - I accidentally added a druid level one level before (I was blazing through my party leveling up and just clicked on druid without realizing it - the next party member in line was the druid). I had no idea monk was restricted in that manner...I don't have any memory of that from playing D+D, but then, D+D was never known for its lack of arbitrary rules and minutia. ;)

Thanks for the clarification, guys.

2. Coorio

Coorio Jaroo's Cousin

Hey guys. Maybe someone could explain this to me. Why does 7.2.0 CTD so often?
    Seriously, I've been playing Co8 Modpack since 5.0.0 or something, but even the earliest editions didn't crash this much. Tried it on two different machines - same result. I was able to progress as far as Moathouse, but during bugbear and guardsmen fights the game always CTD at some point. Thus, I cannot complete the Moathouse and go on.
    I realize I may not be the first one to encounter this problem)) Has anyone had this issue? And more importantly - is there a cure?

P.S. Tried complete reinstalling - didn't help. Hommlet, Deklo and Welkwood bog are fine, but Moathouse - CTD...

P.P.S. By the way, is there still a download link for 7.0.0?))

3. Runiel

Runiel Member

That's weird, for me 7.2.0 has been the most stable version with no crashes at all and I have been playing it every day since it came out. Are the crashes random or do they happen only during big fights in the Moathouse?

Also, link:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack/downloads

4. Coorio

Coorio Jaroo's Cousin

Tried playing through Moathouse a couple more times. Yes, the CTD tends to happen in big dungeon fights (oddly, it never occurred in open air)).

Thanks for the link, Runiel. If nothing helps, I'll probably just downgrade to 7.0.0.

5. mark hill

mark hill Member

hmm yes 7.2 NC has been super stable for me, except it seems slower walking around Hommlet (small moves ok) and Nulb was crashy b4 I got the Nulb pathnode patch .. Im on Ironman, despite admonishments not to do so with NC, but it seems fine so far :)

One small note .. I "naively" took Turuko, Zert and Kobort, leveled then up a bit, equipped them better, (Kobort gets his weapon focus bonus with a Warhammer, hes much more damgerous with that and a Twr Shield) .. then I "realised" they were baddies and booted them outta the party, intending to make the Moathouse Ambush tougher for myself, with better equipped and LVL 4 foes .. but they turned up in ambush unleveled and with vannilla gear!

Any plans for a fix for this? Its a small issue I know, but it would be cool if they worked better

oh yeah WELL DONE! with the game not ending after the fungus queen, that was at the top of my list with "whats wrong with ToEE" - thanks guys thanks

oh yeah Ive had a few inconsistant instances of the floating thumbnail portrait of an enemy was blank when they made combat comments .. also the Skeleton Priest in Emeridy Meadows has no portrait sometimes, just the blank square thumbnail with the mouse pointer .. its inconsistant, sometimes he has portrait as expected

ok think Ive got a major bug here :(

Starting in Hommlet, sold some loot to blacksmith, so a-ok in hommlet

Go Nulb, do Monas Orb quest, go Waterside Hostel to see Mikey, object to pickpocketing, win bar brawl, get orb from Mickey (I paid him for it and advised him go home), go back Mona and swap money for the Gypsy girl to join me (but strenuously deny shes a slave, Im buying her freedom)

On way back Hommlet, 3 trolls - gypsy and elmo dead

Fast-travel temple Cuthbert, intending revivals for dead henchmen - outside temple notice my Paladin is Fallen! Annoyed and mystefied, search online to see if theres a way to get unfallen in ToEE. Gamebanshee advice was that you can pay 6000 in Church Cuthbert to get unfallen. Ok - never heard that b4 but Ill check it out.

Start game again, am allready right outside church, so enter. Combat starts! Terjon in anteroom hostile, all clerics hostile. Doubly mystified, check my quest lexicon thing - I am a "butcher of Hommlet"

Any ideas??

should I have tolerated the pickpocketing, then got orb mickey, and once hes left re-enter Waterside then object and fight? On a previous playthru this order had no hassles

also when Gypsy girl temporarily dead I stole her invis ring - might this have made me fallen? .. But it wouldnt explain Butcher

in Waterside I didnt kill anyone who wasnt attacking me, Im familiar with this fight - looted fainting pickpocket girl but didnt attack her

alas Im on Ironman so cant backtrack and test stuff .. Doh!

reading a lil above I note that Hommlet faction NPC's death's trigger "Butcher" rep - do monsters killing Elmo do this? Elmo has died twice .. could that be it?

Another reading above .. yes Cleavers are tooo good. Tho every party Ive ever had in ToEE uses em in the front rank, I would be not *too* unhappy to see em nerfed into a "normal" weapon lol. If they only did d6 that should be enuf - they would still be fuckin awesome with that crit range, but wouldnt be such a strain on my D+D sensibilities.

Also, several Co8 NC mods ago, Fragerach and Scather were causing so many crashes I stopped using them at all - is this now fixed?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@mark, if no one has replied to the a thread in which you've posted and you're the last poster and you want to make another statement, please edit your previous post instead of replying again. It's generally bad form to make multiple posts when no one else is posting. I've condensed several of your posts for you now but I don't want to make a career out of it. ;)

7. mark hill

mark hill Member

no worries, Ill bear that in mind

8. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

I've seen that the cdt's seem to happen when multiple opponents move at the same time.

9. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Winning the brawl will not make you a fallen paladin. Becoming the Butcher of Hommlette will. Do not allow a third villager to die. I allow Furnok and Fruella to die. Elmo's stuff isn't worth it imo.

10. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I worked my LN Cleric of Wee Jas up to level 9 - spent 6160Xps and 78500gps on Helm of Brilliance to discover that all 10 retained game saves suffered from spell-casting device failure bug -What a kick in the teeth!

11. Gaear

Friendly reminder: Co8 Modpack v7.3.0 is coming June 24, 2012. Finish up your 7.2 games and get ready. :)

Will feature:

• the Nulb crash fix
    • comprehensive lag fix
    • upgraded monsters in the gnome tunnels in Verbobonc
    • bigger, badder Verbobonc dragon
    • reduced XP awards for many NC enemies (WotGS Hextorites, Verbobonc drow, etc.) to slow NC-related leveling
    • interior map updates for many Verbobonc maps (to standardize them with the updated exterior map)
    • other stuff

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Will there still be enough XP overall to get a larger than 5 PC party to level 20 without using the console?

13. Gaear

I suspect so. Mainly this is geared toward not having the party level up with every WotGS and drow battle. (And the drow still somehow had inflated CRs.)

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Great, thanks!

15. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

You could try using this for vampiric touch:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/printthread.php?t=9686

I've been fiddling with them and have vampiric touch working as intended with some kinks. The spell does 1-6/2 per caster level and gives you the hitpoints (except one time I did 24 dam and it gave me 12). The hit points are not permanent and cannot be stacked on top of each other with another successive casting of the spell. It uses a dex touch attack so you get a -4 if the target is adjacent to another attacker.

Our Host!