Circle of Eight Modpack v6 / v6 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Provodnik, Dec 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stingm

Stingm Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 / 6.0.0 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

So with 6.0.0NC vanilla is dead huh?

2. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 / 6.0.0 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

That's probably what most secretly think. But if you want to play vanilla, why install the Co8 modpack at all?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Sting - relax, we don't have people sitting around at help desks all day long waiting to investigate bug reports. Also, troubleshooting vanilla issues is frankly not a priority for us.

Anyhow, I just tested vanilla with the front end and it worked perfectly fine, which means the problem must be something on your end. Please provide more information on the specifics to your situation - your OS, your game version, etc.

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

So... once upon a time I asked in a thread what people wanted to see. I suggested 'Lareth joining the fight'. This was implemented, very well I might add, and I havent played this since today. Let me note, I understand I asked for this.

I am playing through 6.0.0 and encounted the hallway guys in the moathouse. I was not ready to fight them, but one of my PC's ran into the hallway on accident and the hallway sergant ran back to the main room. Now I am facing a ton of guys, plus Lareth, at level 3. This is no bueno. It is tough, and I honestly dont know if I can handle it till level 5 since they are hitting me a lot and more armor wont help. I think I need fireball.

Thanks for giving me what I wanted, but it looks like a ton of random encounters at Delko is what I have in my future :)

5. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Guys,

Ran through Welkwood Bog for the first time tonight. I understand its been around for a while but this is my first time through with 6.0.0 and I have to say you guys did a great job. Great atmosphere, use of maps, character animations, etc.

I think I did run into 1 or possibly 2 bugs near the end.

[I presume I'm about to describe SPOILERS but I suspect everyone has seen this already...]

First oddity: deep into the bog right before I fought the lich (Malrek?) I was in a room and a gnoll skeleton, and a couple of goblins just sauntered by going from one room into the other room (from top left of screen, opening door on top right of screen). I was surprised that the "attack" music didn't startup but then I thought, well, maybe they're like the rats in the moathouse?

I then went and dispatched the lich (again, great job on the sound and death animations).

After dealing with him I went to the room the gnoll skeleton, kobold leader, etc. They still seemed nonchalant. I tried to talk just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, no response dialog. I then chose "full attack" and got into the attack mode.

Here came the 2nd bug: at some point I had several in my party attacking one of the critters by clicking on the critter to move and attack. The AI put every character overlapping on the same square so by the end of that round, I had 3 PCs on the same square attacking the critter (I believe it was the kobold?)

I'll play the whole bog again tomrorow and see if it happens again, but I thought I'd report.

6. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Should be doable at lvl 3. Use Sleep and Grease and a summon or two.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Burne sells Fireball, Ice Storm and Cone of Cold. Helps with the odds somewhat depending on how much gold you've got. I sell the explanar chest and Lubashs cloak and buy scrolls.
    Lareth needs a ac4 shield and ring+1 to raise his ac so he can stay in the fight longer. He still goes down too easy.

8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    Thanks for the reply
    The Royal Canadian

9. Gaear

That's a known 'circumstance' ... not really a bug. What's happening is this: Mathel and his gang have different day-night standpoints in order to aid in the impression that they don't just stand around in one place all day and night doing nothing. (Instead, they stand around in two places all day and night doing nothing. ;)) Anyway, if you happen to be there when day turns to night or vice-versa, or if you pass time on that map the same way, you will see them will march to their alternate standpoints. You can see this on other maps too - many Hommlet interior maps, for example, where the occupants are in the front room by day and the bedroom by night. You can even see the Labor Camp gang march all the way back to the Labor Camp from the castle site in the evening, or back to the site in the morning (as long as you're in whatever sector they're moving through).

Mathel's gang does not KOS, because if that flag is set for a mob, it will override any dialog from an NPC. So, instead of Mathel having a conversation with you when you show up, his gang would just attack. We don't want that, so they appear to be benign. They don't have anything to say either because they're not supposed to be talking NPCs and don't have any dialog defined.

At any rate, most times it won't happen this way.

That sounds like a glitch.

Yes it would, but once they do that, they're gone for good. Eventually the place would become depopulated of regular people. ;)

10. Stingm

Stingm Member

Okay I want to switch to vanilla to play the tutorial again. But it won't load. It shows the the load up to the statis bar and just at the end it crashes. CO8 runs fine and I like it thanks, But would like the tutorial to run in vanilla. What info do you need?

11. Gaear

What OS and game version are you using?

Off the top of my head I would try these tips from the Co8 Modpack Explained thread:

• Run as administrator, if you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7.

• Set your video card to a 'no scaling' setting for video playback. This will make in-game videos play at their original resolution. Some sytems experience game crashes when they try to scale ToEE's videos to fit the monitor.

• The executable (toee.exe) is secretly a virus!

No it's not. Some anti-virus software falsely identifies the ToEE executable as a trojan, but it's a false positive. Some anti-virus software may even auto-delete or auto-quarantine the executable. You may need to disable or even uninstall your antivirus software if this happens to you. Not all anti-virus software considers toee.exe to be a trojan, so there are alternatives.

12. Stingm

Stingm Member

It always ran fine until I installed CO8. I'm not blaming CO8, it's just wierd coincidence. I'd rather have CO8 running if I can't have both so it kinda okay but if I can fix it I would like too.

I have XP sp3 and the retail TOEE from the store. It was patched from all 3 patches and then CO8.

Why would scaling work if it already works with CO8 fine? Any other info you need?

13. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

That's interesting, I'd never noticed that in Hommlet before that people move - I know that people start in different locations, but never saw them move, in fact, I thought you were required to refresh maps to make them move (e.g., resting from noon to night outside of Wench, Furnok will hang out there, but as soon as I move inside at night, I see him there as well). I presume moving through those blue portal/doors is what is prevented. Anyway, thanks for explaining its always interesting to learn about how he engine is thinking.

I will keep plodding along. I'm looking forward to the new caffeinated Lareth battle!

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Stop by Smyth, then rest until the next time change (morning or evening) and watch him move.

15. chano

chano Established Member

About moving people in hommlet, there are the 2 guards on level on in the temple that has a moving pattern, would it be possible to add that to more characters?
    There is also the commander on level 4 that sometimes surprise you.

It would be cool if more monsters would do that, like real wandering monsters.

In pool of radiance II they use it quite a lot and it really gives the game a whole new edge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!