Circle of Eight Modpack v6 / v6 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Provodnik, Dec 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 / 6.0.0 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

At least not a new one, I've seen that already in 5.9.x

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 6.0.0 / 6.0.0 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Hi
    I don't know if this "bug" is particular to 6.0.0 NC or not, but Lesser Globe of Invulnerability is not working right. I was prepping for the final arena fight, and the last spell my wizard cast was LGOI, and it wiped out all the spells already cast, which is contrary to d20srd which states "Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm
    The Royal Canadian

3. Provodnik

Provodnik Member

@Gaear

I have few small questions :]

I dont know what lvl cap to use, if i use (for example) lvl15 cap will game be easier in later stages since i will have stronger spells?

What is purpose with shopmap on beging, to make starting of game a bit easier ? or items and weapons in shopmap can be found on begining in Hamlet?

Starting gold is added randomly, first time i had 25, next time 5

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's vanilla. People seem to like it that way.

Also a known vanilla thing. Nothing to be done for it.

Co8 recommends that you don't use a level cap at all. If you do, the late stages of Verbobonc may be insurmountably difficult, depending on your personal skill level.

To make it more like PnP where you get to buy equipment at the beginning, and to add a neat opening location wherein you can finish building your characters and get yourself ready to go.

Some shopmap gear is available in Hommlet, but not all.

Yes, per RAW.

5. Forgalz

Couriously, I seem to have a problem getting pocket-picked in the Waterside Hostel. It should happen every time you enter, and to the character who initiates the map change, right? I send in a char with a total Spot rank of 13, and he doesn't get his pocket picked, nor does he notice anything. I tried this like 10 times now. What is the usual Spot rank where you can expect success here?

6. Forgalz

D&D has an unhealthy randomization fetish.

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    I have more "Nulb Nutcakes" to report.
    I went to the Tavern intending to do the "Eye of the Tiger" and the "Assassination" quests. I had originally planned on telling Lodriss about the plot and offering to take care of things, but she got greedy, so in the end, I chose the "I get my reward by killing you" option (in spite of running a Neutral Good party. Oh well she IS Lawful Evil). At any rate I ended up fighting everyone except Skole and his goon. Here's where it starts getting nutty.
    1.) Tolub only fights with his bare hands, and he only does non-lethal damage. Shouldn't he have some sort of weapon for "life or death" situations ??
    2.) Two Nulb Village Men showed up in the "Combat Que" but only stood around doing nothing (until Meleny's Jackal Follower attacked them.... They died very convincingly :evilgrin: )
    3.) After the fight, my Logbook shows that I had killed Fredrick Bertram (Hey !! He attacked me first ! ). When I walked down to the docks I was attacked by a "Pirate" that was almost exactly identical. He even said "I am Slain" in Bertram's voice (the "Inside" Bertram never said a word). The only differences were that the "Outside Bertram" showed up in the logbook as a "Pirate" and had a White Cloak and a Bicorn Hat.
    4.) Walking the "City Streets" after the fight I was attacked by a Nulb Village Man on the "road" leading to the Tavern. I ran this test three times. On the third trial I was also attacked by a Nulb Village Woman in the "Residential" area.
    5.) On my first test, I was attacked by a Pirate in front of Otis's Smithy, and his "Assistant" Sammy decided to attack me.
    The Royal Canadian

8. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

@ Gaear
    I am not familiar with the concept “vanilla”, but I gather it is some old and fundamental part of the mods. If it can’t be helped it can’t and so be it.
    What comes to the ettins and goblinoids bashing each other I was just wondering if it is meant to be like that, since there is the “friendly fire” notion? Otherwise the random encounters with more challenging opponents are only welcome. :yes:

@ The Royal Canadian
    I’m not sure but I think killing Lodriss is meant to make most Nulbians hostile. :evilgrin:
    Also I know that for some reason there are two Bertrams in the game (gay and straight) but talking to either one should make the other to disappear. :confused:

9. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

"Vanilla" is the original un-modded game as designed by Troika.

10. Forgalz

But maybe fighting him doesn't?

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not necessarily. Sometimes they don't do it.

Yes, I suppose he should. Has it always been that way?

Generic villagers/citizens are scripted to not participate in battles now, so that's working properly. They shouldn't even enter battles though ... that part is spotty and I don't suppose it will ever really be reconciled. I don't know how else to keep them out. (More of ToEE's 'we'll do it this way this time, that way next time' design philosophy at work there.)

As was said, that's straight Bertram (inside) and gay Bertram (outside). He probably attacked you because you offended his faction in the previous fight. He was likely there in the first place because he didn't have an opportunity to get turned off - you have to talk to either of them to turn the other one off.

That part shouldn't be happening. Generics are no longer supposed to get involved (unless I didn't apply that to Nulb, can't be sure atm). Regardless, there is no 'Butcher of Nulb' rep like in Hommlet, so they're not reacting to a rep ... unless maybe it's the killer of Lodriss rep. That could be.

The pirate's probably a fan of Lodriss. I guess maybe Sammy is too.

I'm sure it was not meant to be that way. It's a faction conflict between monster types, but people seem to like it as a one-off type thing, so we let it slide.

12. Stingm

Stingm Member

Okay I have 6.0.0NC! So nobody has any idea why vanilla won't launch anymore?:confused: Or are you guys ignoring me?

13. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Was the hotfix included in 6.0 for the Assassin Revenge? Sold Lareth's boots a while ago, still haven't seen anyone yet.

14. Forgalz

I got him soon after selling the boots to the traders.

15. Forgalz

Have now cleaned out air elementals, drelb, owlbear, trolls, hydra, and werewolves on level 2 before starting with level 1, should make things easier later on. When getting out, I stopped by Scorpp to pick up Wonnilon's stuff. This used to be easy, that he now actually pulls out a greatclub and whacks you with his hill giant power came as a nasty surprise. But it makes much more sense than the previous behavior, of course.

With the party at level 6 I then went back to the Arena for the undead assault, which is arguably the hardest fight of the three. The undead wizards have very good tactics now. I didn't remember them casting Deep Slumber before, they got my strongest fighter who then slept through the entire battle like a baby. And that was the guy who was supposed to take out the third wizard and his giants, had to improvise there and it barely worked out in the end. I also saw, for the first time ever, a Phantasmal Killer working, of course against one of my guys (Serena). I tried out Consecrate and learned that its effect apparently is to make the party miss and the undead hit all the time in its area of effect. Fortunately, paralyzed and sickened characters still make attacks of opportunity, whatever the rationale behind that is.

The only problem is that this battle tends to crash the game a lot. I experienced that in 5.9.2, but now it seems even worse. Must have to do with the sheer number of combatants and spell effects that tend to be on the screen. In particular, it seems to crash when I'm ahead, and to protect against the obvious countertactics, it also crashes when I save. The savegame is ok, though, but the game still gets an advantage, because the turned undead lose their "turned" status on reload, although not their sparkle (I observed that in other places and 5.9.x, too). In this battle, this is particularly annoying.

The prize was also funny. I remembered a +4 light tower shield that could be enchanted, but now it's already pre-enchanted to +1? I must have missed that when I first equipped it. Also, its description says "Dex bonus +2", but the AC calculation shows that I get the full +3 permitted by my breastplate. Not that I complain about that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!