Circle of Eight Modpack v6 / v6 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Provodnik, Dec 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random1

random1 Member

Gaer, could you include in the future modpack (v7) your Gaear's_New_Movies_v2.rar or is there any reason for doing this?
    I suppose a lot of people miss out on this extra.

This is just some minor knit picking so please put it a the bottom of your TODO list... but during Co8 modpack installation could you remove (or change) the press-ok-to-continue notifications. I prefer to click on "install" once and come back latter when it's done instead of having to check it every minute or so.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Movies - no, for the same reason we don't put BG or IWD portraits in the regular modpack: they are made with proprietary material. I'd like to re-do the movies someday with either original or Troika stuff, and if we do that they can go in.

Installer - no, the steps are important, as are the instructions that go along with them (installation directory etc.). Like it or not, our mod is not a click-once-and-leave-it thing.

3. random1

random1 Member

Another thing that I should have mentioned in the past
    http://i.imgur.com/Bq9lT.jpg

I'm probably the only one suffering from this issue as I suppose this is being caused by playing the game in VMWare.

This only happens during character creation, but during all steps.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this, please comment.

4. Jadefang

Jadefang Member

Does the Woodcutter no longer offer to contact his relative if you cure Amie? I remembered him doing so in previous versions of the Co8 modpack.

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Um, I only came to this game very late. When the woodcutter used to offer to contact his relative if you cured Amii, if that was how the woodcutter used to sell/give magical items to you, then no, the woodcutter no longer sells/gives you any magical items. You can now buy masterwork strength bows from Armario the cabinet maker in Hommlet (near the jeweller's shop). Hope this answers your question.

6. random1

random1 Member

While playing the game I've been taking notes of bugs that I found. I've found a lot of things which I'll post latter. And while most are small things (and on the bug-feature border level) this one is a serious deal breaker:
    if you have scrolls of the same type stacked and then use one then all scrolls will disappear :thumbsdow
    I doubt no one has noticed it before so... is this one unfixable?
    For me this sucks even more because I was thinking on using scrolls instead of wands (they're cheaper and at least I would know how many "charges" I have left).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It's my opinion that scrolls weren't actually implemented completely by Troika during their last push to make the game 3.5. The issue you stated, (which is stated in a previous thread) and the fact that using a scroll in combat does not trigger an AoO just screams rush rush rush.

It's just a shame they didn't get more time.

8. random1

random1 Member

I hadn't noticed the AoO yet.
    About the scrolls it seems it's not always. I noticed this when using a scroll of identify with my wizard. But when my druid used a scroll of cure wounds it worked fine.

Another thing that seriously annoys me is the fact that sneak is broken.
    I can sneak between a group of enemies but when one of my other PCs/NPCs becomes visible, my rogue automatically becomes visible as well -_-

9. silo25

silo25 Established Member

i might have missed it, but every time i enter the temple levels , the game either crashes or all my character icons turn a greenish blue and and just show "dummie" type icons and afcouse you cant do anything, i havent used any cheats or the shift ~

10. Gaear

That was set aside a few releases ago until such time as it could be fixed. It had various problems like more possible responses than could be displayed, etc. We haven't fixed it yet, and I wonder if we really need to for the reasons gazra mentions. Plus, many of the rewards were hyper-treasure, which we've been trying to get away from. (That was definitely a v5 era 'livin' large' mod, ha-ha.)

I don't know if I would call this "broken." Broken means it's failing to work as intended, and I suspect this is actually how Troika wanted it. What would be the point of a single character remaining hidden after the others are discovered anyway? You always roll for initiative once combat starts. If you want to go around undetected, you should leave the blundering types far behind while your rogue sneaks.

Something's seriously wrong; reactivating the module is in order.

~

A few words on module reactivation ...

This is indeed generally a cure-all, as has been mentioned elsewhere recently, but you have to start a fresh game as well. Importing an old save from a corrupt install will just bring back the corruption.

As far as the need to do this goes, I'm getting the impression that players fear that your game can randomly go to sh*t at any time and there's nothing you can do about it. On the contrary, there really is no reason for your game to just randomly go to sh*t. ToEE is not that unstable. It's goofy in a lot of other ways, but as far as the engine goes, it's actually fairly robust and not a gentle flower like some other software I've used.

I imagine the main reasons things go wrong are:

1. players don't follow the general guidelines and do things like save during combat (which is one of the few things that can make your game go bad)
    2. players corrupt their games via reckless console use
    3. players don't properly activate the module in the first place
    You really have little to fear if you avoid those three things.

11. random1

random1 Member

This is the first time I'm reading this :p
    Could you update your "The Co8 Guide to Successful Gaming with ToEE" at http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7737 ?
    Not that I have this habit. I've only did it in the last fight in Hickory Branch, after I got slaughtered about 15 times.

(does this forum support quoting nesting?)

For me, the point of one or more characters remaining hidden after the others are discovered is about strategy and role play. What is the point of invisibility potions or spells? :p
    I use my rogue to scout. If sneak worked properly I could position my rogue behind enemy lines ready to harass an enemy spellcaster or archer.
    Instead what happens is that when my rogue has sneaked among enemies I'm unable to take advantage of an initial surprise attack because my rogue becomes the nearest danger and every enemy falls all over it.
    And in fact it's not just my rogue. Some other PCs have good hide skills too.

12. Gaear

Sorry, I thought that was already in there. I guess it's one of those community knowledge base hive memory things. I assume everyone here knows it. ;)

Yes - click the little multi-quote reply button.

If you sneak your rogue up to an enemy and attack it outright, I'm pretty sure you get all kinds of sneaking rogue advantages. Just keep the rest of your gang out of site range (which is really foolishly close) until that time. Otherwise, I'm quite sure this is still working as Troika intended, which means that while you may not like it, it's not "broken." We get kind of excited when people throw the "bug" or "broken" words around, because we then assume it's something we have to fix.

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Should probably be added to the Co8 help entry (does anyone read that?)

IMO it's more of a "nice to have" feature that wasn't implemented, rather than a broken one. It's basically another subsystem, that with ToEE's tight schedule, just wasn't gonna happen.

On a brighter note:

1. Jaroo has a sort of stutter, which IIRC has been reported before.
    It seems the cause is the recent change of the Rod of the Python to a two-handed quarterstaff (to conform with RAW). His heartbeat is scripted to check if he's dual wielding the Rod and Scimitar simultaneously (which is now impossible). Attached a fix - he will only check for the Rod now.

BTW, the Rod of the Python is supposed to be very long - while I wouldn't outright swap it with a standard quartestaff, perhaps the model could be edited?
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rod_of_the_Python

2. Smigmal's henchmen -
    When she calls them via smig_backup_2, a similar problem with their scripting manifests itself. They look for a Dagger of Venom, which has long ago been replaced with a Wakizashi +1. Fix also attached.

Attached Files:

14. random1

random1 Member

Yes, that works.
    But I would still prefer to be able to choose the moment I would attack. Because usually that surprise sneak attack is really most valuable in eliminating spell casters, and if you initiate combat with that action what I've noticed is that the enemy "tank" will target and obliterate my rogue before my fighters have the chance to help him out. Thus making this approach infeasible in most cases.
    IMHO, from a role play or strategy point of view, the principle is really the same than an invisibility spell/potion. A hidden character X should not become visible just because character Y has now become visible/in-range.

15. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

A leftover from the old OP item days: Royal Armor (proto 6326).
    It's a masterwork full-plate, with the added benefit of a +6 bonus to Diplomacy, Gather Information, Sense Motive and Intimidate. Fairly ridiculous, considering it costs the same as ordinary MW full-plate.
    The bonuses have also been give to Thrommel's armor (6048).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!