Circle of Eight Modpack v5.7 Bug Report Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Dec 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

not exactly a bug, but may i suggest burne have a "scholar's kit" in his initial possessions? only place I could find those is initial shop and the trade post... and the trade post goes belly up real soon for a good party.

BTW, in regards to previous posts, I am using 5.7.2

2. taltamir

there is a cantrip called "electric jolt". despite wizards knowing all cantrips only my original wizard knows it (i think i found a scroll and learned it).
    anyways, i found out that you cannot scribe it to a scroll (to teach other wizards. I got spugnoir and burne to join me so i can swap spells with them; and learn 6 spells per level instead of just 2)

EDIT: likewise, an "extraplanar chest" spell cannot be scribed into scroll form, only found and learned.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. taltamir

if you tell rianna and selena to leave the group (alone or together) they say to "find them if you want us to join again", but if you talk to them again there is no option to ask them to rejoin you.

4. SLY

SLY Member

I somehow got behind a magically sealed door that I was unable to get out from. I went through a door in level 1 (I think) and got southeast from the center of the air temple place.

marker 29 on this map:
    sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/Walkthrough/Temple/Temple2.php

5. Tavares

Tavares Member

First and foremost, thanks for this awesome mod. My son and I love ToEE and have not been able to play it for a long time.

I have Windows XP running 5.7.2beta. I used the NO CD crack (I own a legit copy but my drives won't authenticate the CD anymore). I am using the ToEE front end X, and have 6 PC's. I have a neutral good party.

I am having the Jayfie dialog issue for Agent Revealed quest. I can talk to him the first time, but only 'Good day' comes up after that. Every quest string I tried leads me to have to come back and talk to him at the labor camp later, but of course I can't talk to him.

I am also having the Pass time CTD in the labor camp.

If you need more info, or if they are not bugs (Sorry!!!), let me know please.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hm, those were bugs from the previous (5.6) release that were fixed for 5.7. Sorry to sound silly, but are you sure you're playing 5.7.2? Also, why are you passing time in the labor camp? I mean, you should feel free, but there's no reason to do that with the vanilla Jayfie scenario restored.

7. Tavares

Tavares Member

It says 5.7.2beta when I log in...perhaps my install is corrupted somehow...I will try to reinstall and let you know.

8. taltamir

use a woman to speak to him.

9. Gaear

Okay then ...

The first part is known, the second part sounds like a fluke.

1 sounds like a Vista or 7 issue. As for 2, we didn't do anything to affect game performance.

Duly noted.

Those have long been issues/questions that I honestly don't expect will be much addressed anymore. Web was goofy before Livonya addressed it; now it's somewhat less goofy.

Noted.

Have you tried highlighting with the Tab key? I'm sure the corpses/dropped items are still there, you just can't see them. I don't see much problem with that really - if you fight someone in a river, you very likely will have trouble recovering anything.

That's a good idea, thanks.

I think Electric Jolt is a custom spell, which might be why it's not automatic as a cantrip. The lack of scribability just means that scrolls for the spells need to be added as protos, but I don't think EC was meant to be scribed, as that would be a bit too powerful/exploitable. It was basically intended just as a means for you to carry a bunch of stuff. I don't think it's even entirely RAW.

Noted.

That happens because the post-party Riana and Serena's are actually new NPCs so as to avoid them returning to their original standpoints when they disband. (There is no other known way around this atm: they either go back to the brothel, which is weird, or we make new ones who go to a sensible place and are no longer able to join because the levels they may have acrued while in the party are gone.) This was thought to be the lesser of two evils. I guess we should try to alter the dialog.

That happens from time to time. We should probably try to seal those areas off via sectoring/blocking. You could teleport out if you have a scroll, or open the console (~), type

Code:
    from t import *
    and press enter, then type

Code:
    tp(5001,480,480)
    and press enter. This will teleport you back to the center of Hommlet.

That's still Jayfie circa 5.6 and shouldn't be happening in 5.7.

10. taltamir

Yes I have tried tab, and it didn't help.
    This isn't really a river, it is less then knee high and knee high water in other locations (imerdy runs) is translucent and you can click through it while this is opaque. Besides, I don't see how a knee high "river" can sweep away a corpse or items.

It is definitely not RAW, it is a custom item co8 made to make lugging stuff easier. It replaces the "we make several trips" or " a cart with a mule (106gp)".
    in regards to being too powerful... how so? you find at larath's place an item that let you cast it at will (which you can sell), and 2 scrolls of it which you can copy to your spellbook (allowing you to use the spell if you chose to sell the item; which you shouldn't do).
    Scribing a scroll of it is just a waste of gp and xp... the only point to scribing it to a scroll is if you have 3 wizards in the party and you want ALL of them to know it or if you plan to change out wizards... for example if you sold the box, learned the spell with your wizard (and keep a casting of it prepared), and sold the other scroll to a shop that refreshes its inventory. you now decide to swap out wizards... you need to make a scroll to teach the new wizards how to cast it...

of course, you could always use protos to spawn a new at will item or a new scroll...

yes, changing their dialogue to say "ok, i guess we are retiring for good from adventuring now" would make more sense...
    this does explain why their cloths are different now though.

i noticed though that while earning XP is capped at 1 less then needed to level up twice (ex, if you are level 1 you need 1000XP to reach level 2, and 3000XP (2k more) to reach level 3, you are thus capped at 2999XP until you actually level up to level up, which increases the cap to 5999, and so on)... anyways, you CAN use the console to set a party member's XP to be a certain value which is beyond that... so you could set it to be 200k xp for a first level character and you could then level it up again and again until you reach 200k...
    So a solution would be to record their current XP, and then when they leave the group (or when recruited again) set their XP to what it was last time. this would allow you to retrain them, but thats not a big deal... also their equipment seems different... so maybe put a "plot locked" box near their new house with all their gear, when they rejoin the box unlocks and they remind you to get their gear.

detailed process:
    when you tell them to leave:
    1. a box is created in mona's shop and all their gear is transfered there.
    2. their XP values are recorded.
    3. they are deleted.
    4. a new character with their base stats is created in mona's place... those are recruitable.

when you tell them to join
    1. make them join the party
    2. set their XP value to be what it was when you last saw them. (require manual releveling)
    3. have them remind you to get the gear from the box (if it is doable, have it automatically transported to their person).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  11. taltamir

as per PnP, once a monk takes a level in something else they cannot take more monk levels.

NOT per PnP, once a paladin takes a level in something else they cannot take more paladin levels. (at least, this is the case if I take 2 levels of monk, then 3 of paladin, then 1 of fighter)

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Tsk tsk :no:

13. Gaear

:shrug: I wouldn't imagine that everything is swept away, just that you couldn't recover it because the water is murky. I mean, Troika made the water murky, right? They must have wanted the water to be murky.

I don't think we could un-murk the water anyway, because that would require placing a new global mesh for the running water and we don't have that ability right now. Besides, in general, I'm personally okay with the notion that not everything is doable at all times.

If it's thought to be a big enough deal across the board, I suppose we could spawn the opponents on land, but then you'd lose the 'thrill' of fighting them in the water. Again, I assume Troika put them where they wanted them.

Sorry, I was basing my exploit fears on the earlier wrong fetching price for a scroll of EC, but that has since been fixed to be the correct, more reasonable price. Still, the creator (CtB, from memory) made it this way for a reason - probably just because he didn't want scrolls of EC to be common. I guess we could make it scrollable though if you don't get rich from it.

Sitra Achara proposed basically the same thing, I think, but it would require some fairly complex scripting. I'm okay with the way it is now myself, particularly if it means not having to spend a long time trying to figure out a good script to do all that stuff. Scripting is not among my primary modding skills ... I usually have to fight with it a great deal and when it's done it still ends up defective somehow anyway. ;)

14. taltamir

sure, its that big of a deal really and saves quite a lot of scripting... if someone wants to implement such a thing they could but until then things stay as they are.
    for consistency though their dialog should be altered to say they retire from adventuring rather then promising to join you back at any time.

I thought so at first, but its not that the water is murky (there is murkey water elsewhere), but that the water is a unicolored blotch lacking texture and transparency and effects found on other bodies of water. as if they put it there as a placeholder and couldn't didn't get to finish it up :p

Yea, its not that bad really that you can't loot what falls in that water. its just that the reason for this seems more like a technical issue then intentional. Also the assassin (due to selling larath's boots to merchants) spawned there and his items lost under the water... well i reloaded and when i encountered him next he was in a different encounter map, one without water and his items were thus lootable... so i really doubt it was intentional. When I think about it, usually there is a giant crab in the knee high water... that time the assassin spawned where the crab should have been IIRC.
    That all being said there is no real pressure to change it though, especially if it is a lot of work.

A lot of times the enemies and you spawn on land in that map. other times it isn't. it seems somewhat random (there are a few spots you can spawn at basically). I am not sure how spawning works on random encounters in TOEE though.

Once you know that that special water prevents looting though it can make for interesting combat as you draw enemies out to dry land to kill them there (if you care enough to).

so, yea if you think it adds to the game by all means leave it there...

15. Gaear

Right-o, we'll see what we can do.

The same issue remains about replacing it though - we could put a different water global mesh there, but not one that matches the clipping for that map, so it would look goofy.

The assassin is scripted to appear semi-randomly, on any of the RE maps iirc. This is true pretty much for regular REs too.

That's due to the random placement. We could (I think) change the coordinates that put them in the water at times to always be on land instead.

imo it's best left alone, but you could poll on it if you like to get more input. If there's a sizeable majority who think the water spawning is stupid, I'd be okay with changing it.

Our Host!