Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Did you accept the quests for the other two? Killing one shouldn't stop you finding the others if you did.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I had all 3 but Gunter was the only one I found. He said he would lead me to the other guy but my group was full. Never did find the other 2. I'm on a new game now and this time I will pay better attention to detail. If 5.9.1 is ready soon I'll wait because that Drow xp levelup thing really distorts the game.

3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

@ Gaear,

How did you get there at 5th level? That would be right after the moathouse and there is still Nulb, HB, and moathouse respawn to do before you can go to Verb...

4. darkfeld01

darkfeld01 Ancient Lurker

just some things i noticed.

1. The sowrd of chaos in HB has weapon prof. greatsword listed on it shift+click description.
    2. I conosoled in a lizardman and wand of enslaved him to make him my party barbarian. I noticed that his damage didn't seem very high and checking the rolls log found that he was not properly adding 1.5 strength for two handers. I'm taking it in stride since he has a monster HD giving him slightly higher HP and a +1 extra base attack above what his level is but i did notice that upon taking his first level he did not get a feat, but is gaining feats regularly now. Any way my point is i am wondering if the enemies are gaining the right damage bonus for attacking with two handers.
    3. Also noticed that townsfolk don't mind if you have a lizardman in the party or a hobgoblin but refuse to deal with you if you have a wolf druid. Which is kind of silly since you can have a druid with a wolf but not a wolf that is the druid.

5. Gaear

I don't know exactly ... it certainly wasn't by any conventional means. ;)

6. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I noticed a few minors glitches:

1) The gnoll leader in HB says that 'Yeenoghu will surely drain down on you from above'. I'm betting he means 'rain down'. ;)

2) I bought a Gold Plumed Helm. I have not modified or crafted it in any way. However, if I wear a cloak with it, the cloak's hood is up so both the helm and hood overlap.

3) On the first level of the temple, to the north east side, there are 4 harpies. One of them tends to yell for help or surrender or flees. Not sure if it is supposed to do this. Usually it just runs to the far wall and stays there. However, one time (pre-5.9.0 patch), it circled through the undead rooms, back out into the hallway - thus getting around my party - and went down the hall to where the striges (mosquito birds) lurk. I was floored as it set off all those groups.

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I am having trouble with getting to Verb. I talked to Bro Smythe, he tells be to talk to the elder about HB. I do. I go to HB, make a bee line to the cave and kill about 3-4 groups on the way. Kill the wall (and group outside), rest up, and enter the cave.

First off, the monsters are in a new formation since 5.8. I am assuming this is on purpose but it makes it harder. I kill them, rest, exit cave, no monster confront me outside the cave. I go to hommlet, talk to Bro Smythe, and he mentions nothing when I ask him for new adventures. I turn in the orc quest to the elder, Bro Smythe does not change his tune. I go talk to Kent (thinking I might have missed something Smythe told me) and Kent asks if I have killed a dragon or lich (which I have never seen him do before).

I cant seem to get the moathouse spawn to occur, nor Verb.

I am not sure if it matters, but Kent did not introduce himself to me in the beginning of the game.

8. Gaear

They were grouped more closely because otherwise they would not all join combat for some fool reason, given the addition of Hungous' dialog.

There won't be any monsters outside the cave if you kill them all inside the cave. Something appears wrong with the schedule for that happening though.

Have you learned of Nulb yet to advance to story state 3? Brother Smyth's chest appears on the ground when story state 3 is reached and Kenter Nevets has been spoken to regarding HB. You need to open the chest and read the book inside it to start AoH.

Moathouse Respawn comes after AoH, Verbo comes after MR.

Indeed, he means drain, as in "Yeenoghu (the demon lord of gnolls) will pee on you from the sky."

yeenoghu.jpg

Sounds like the same deal as the mystic garb. That will need a fix from Ted, most likley.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

9. Ank

Ank Established Member

Came across some rly nasty glitches:
    1)Acid fog (lvl 6 sorc spell) when i selected it from the list to be learned it showed smth like : 'acid fog in spell.mes' and on the inventory menu when i select spels area under lvl6 its not listed (my other sorc got disintegrate and it is properly listed in spell inventory menu)
    when i casted this spell in combat some concealment mesage apeared (ataked 2 hill giants and casted in that area) , after the combat ended 3 party members had a small ribbon atached to their icon saying 'acid fog 116/120' and it doesn't go away no matter how much i sleep/cast dispel magic and when i enter a new area i'm surrounded by fog
    2)Not sure how to describe this one ..... basicly i was mowing down stuff in the temple levels and i then noticed that some of my units can barely move in combat, upon checking i saw this: druidess(halfelf-studd lether armor) has 5 speed total weight 145 and under inventory i see: 0/233 you are not encumbered
    barbarian(halfork-chain shirt) has speed 15 total weight 79 and under inventory i see: 0/346 you are not encumbered
    sorceress (human-celtic runes) has speed 10 total weight 14 and under inventory i see: 0/43 you are not encumbered
    Anyone knows why this can happen ?? (tried compleetly emptying theyr inventory&sleept for a few days at the hommlet inn... didn't help; tryed a load game... after that exited the game and restarted it...)
    About the temple levels: the xp gained in AoH,HB,Mhouse respawned ensured that i cleared each temple level in no more then 2 trips (also there are some guards in black brest plates with about 11hp on like the second temple level ... & then eaven further down i found goblins (on the same level where the asasin mistress and some pompos wizard have a secret hiding area) any ways u can imagine how many combat rounds the goblins&black guards' lasted :evilgrin: ) also i nailed every single temple sub faction leader: air,watter,fire,earth (they had well under 100 hp) and despite the amazing amount of body guards they had the combat ended in like 5 rounds at most (skiped the fire temple army comander and hes fire salamander entourage as i don't yet have any improved weaponry on anyone except druides and weaked(druides has got a lot of crafting to do : i usualy chose 1+2+3+ice+shock)
    On the bright side i did encounter greater temple bugbears with ~ 180hp those kept my party swinging and casting for a good while ;)
    By the way despite having just the elemental nodes and Vb city remaining my bigist Xp gain was the battle against the drow(Mhouse respawned last battle) :poke: is this a bug or smth ??
    May i humbly sugest making an outer loop for AoH,HB,Mhouse respawned or at least make them availible like 1 of them per each new temple level cleared. WB should stay where it is as it saves troble of camping outside till u reach lvl 2 and may safely tackle emredy medows/surface mouthouse level.
    Rly hope uguys can help me on the speed issue' that hit 3 of my party members (i was gonna go to Vb city after reaching Zuggy's chamber; but in my party's curent state i would be forced to restart from scrach and pray i don't run into problems again)
    Sry for the long/boring post

10. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Gaear,

I have been to Nulb, and cleared most of lvl 1 of the temple. Done Grud's fish quest, as well as bought my house and beaten the invasion of my house. I have also killed the giant now, and there is a chest outside of Bro Smythe but I have not picked it.

1) Do you want me to check any story states to debug? If so, what is the code?
    2) What is the flag to start the witch? I will just set it myself.
    3) What is the game location for Verb? I will code it open.

Thanks

Edit: Not sure if it matters, but I learned of Nulb from Terjon after I turned in the Moathouse.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. Gaear

Just open the chest. :)

12. Ank

Ank Established Member

13. mmonagle

I've gotten further along and have a few more observations:

4) After the first round in the AoH, I turned my rogue invisible and had him sneak up on the Master of the Arena. I didn't come straight at him but rather in a circular fashion as I knew he might talk to me if I came straight on. I was able to get right up behind him and so I picked his pockets. He had gold, platinum, and a good wand. Then, just to see what else he had, I attacked him (since he still had not seen me yet). He was not that hard to defeat and I found that he has a really nice cloak. Of course this left me with no way to leave but I think if I had packed a teleport scroll, I could have gotten out. Not sure what would have happened with the last two rounds though. (I reloaded back to before I attacked him). I use my rogue to pick a lot of pockets - bad guys only unless I'm playing an evil group. So from experience, I can say that the leaders in HB were not approachable. I could be invisible and sneaking and they would still see me and begin their conversations. Could the Master of the Arena be set up like this? It just doesn't seem right otherwise.

5) The second creature in the second round of the arena did not come out to play even after I shot him with a quarrel at long range. So I could have shot him to pieces and he would have just stood there. As it was, I didn't think that was very sporting so I moved my fighters up and he came out. The first creature did come out when he was shot. Could the second one be moved a little closer to his exit to avoid this?

6) The key that you take from Lord Hungous, is simply described as a 'small gold key' and it says that it comes from the belly of a giant rat. I believe that this is the key from the tutorial. Could it be given a different name and description?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  14. mmonagle

Well if this is the case, and since most of my party is carrying long, sharp objects, I must insist that we be given a dialogue choice that promises the most severe and embarrasing type of shortening for his demon lord.

15. mmonagle

I had a similiar experience - had cleaned out HB, been to the temple and fought a few things but I had even opened the chest. Yet I didn't get the respawn dialogue. It wasn't until I had also begun the AoH and gotten its quest that Brother Smyth could talk to me about Kent and the witch. I thought I would mention this as I didn't see the AoH in your notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!