Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9.x/5.9.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Thanks Gaear and crew for the quick fix. I will add this file for my next play through.

Not critical for me, and so I am living with it for this game. Never got around to testing the regular armor to see if the description showed up or not. I got plenty of gold so the money spent is not a big issue. Not sure if it was just my game, the download I picked up at the time, or something else. I had the 5.93 NC, so I am not sure if that is what you have or not with your armor working and my own not.

2. Flak88

Flak88 Member

The Arena repair works. Thanks for the quick fix!

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'm using XPsp3 from the cd but the problem is the AVG anti-virus. I turned it off and then extracted 5.9.3 and it still wouldn't work. It will play one time but if you save/quit and come back, no go. I'm lazy and cheap and i'm not paying for a gog or no-cd download. I'll stick with my protosized/consolized 3.0.4 and be content. I already shot the slavers anyhow. Love the S&W.50cal.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm using AVG Free 2011, are you? I had to add ToEE.exe once as an exception and it hasn't been a problem ever since. :shrug:

It's supposed to be - it's not like he wouldn't tell you what it was/did when he joins your party.

Sounds like a fluke. She's scripted to confront you on her heartbeat once the fight has happened.

I'll check them.

Fixed.

Another fluke. They're scripted to turn on/off respectively/concurrently once the same set of conditions are met.

Ripples and jerkstop are not related in any way that I can conceive of, but I'll replace the Nulb sector files just to get rid of the ripples. No idea why they appear there at all.

I don't think that's a guarantee you can reliably make, gazra. ;)

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Yep. I've got a copy of Toee in MyDocuments also. See what I can do.

6. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I can install everything no problem but when I activate 9.3 nc the frontend suddenly can't find the .exe file, and tells me to install patch 2, this may have something to do with McAfee as 9.2 nc ran fine. I'll drop back to 9.2 until the next release comes out.

7. Gaear

That sounds like your anti-virus deleting or quarantining the executable. (That's what TFE-X says when there is no executable found or when < patch 2 executable is found.) You need to 'authorize' it - get your AV to add it as an exception, etc. - in order to move on. Don't wait for the next mod because they're all going to contain the no-cd executable from now on.

I use AVG Free 2011 and have had no problems after adding ToEE.exe as an exception the first time it objected.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have McAfee also and it did the same thing. I keep a copy of TOEE_USA_ANY_PATCH_2 handy and just reinstalled it over the already activated 5.9.3 and it ran fine ... until I turned my AV back on to do other stuff. ;)

I'm going to add ToEE.exe to the allow list and see what happens.

Should that be all I need to do, or do I need to add the dll file it lists as a trojan also?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  9. Gaear

I've never heard of the .dll being flagged as a trojan/malware.

The reason you get the repeat behavior is that your AV software will delete/quarantine ToEE.exe each time it encounters it until you add it as an exception.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Thought I would post an update of my McAfee dilemma ...

After a 20 minute chat session with one of their techs, it seems you cannot add to the trusted list yourself. Yup, that's right, only they can.

In order for them to add it, they have to remote access your pc and examine the file and if they find it to be OK they will add it to the next update, 3 days to a week later.

Well, no more McAfee here, paid subscription and all. :)

Installed Microsoft Security Center for Vista, (from MS) and it gave me the option to navigate to the files to exclude.

Up and running and enjoying the heck out of 5.9.3, (with full anti-virus real time protection)

Might replay the guard house again just for kicks. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Just curious, have you ever tried to make an exception on AVG so it will ignore. I have done that with my own and have not had a problem. I also have XPsp3 for what it may matter.

12. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Same here, though with the new version of AVG 2011, it now asks, upon load-up, whether the toee.exe file can be trusted or not.

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Funny thing, my pop-up note on Spybot S&D today talked about how McAfee technically can be classified as malware, haha.

Be careful with those Security Essentials, that antivirus is full of holes, get yourself some other anti-malware program for better protection.

14. chano

chano Established Member

Grurz the bugbear leader does not have a weapon and provoke attacks of opportunity which makes him very easy to kill.

15. rayd36

rayd36 Member

I have Norton Antivirus. How can i add this to an "exception" list

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!