Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.x/5.8.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Apr 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Does this a lot. I consider this part GOOD AI actually. The viewpoint is screwing with you, your archers can see a bit around the corner, and so can Falrinth, enough to throw a fireball. Also, considering the bugbears are with him, that means that he can see you, although you can't see him yet (since the bugbears alert him and Smigmal). And, bugbears and Smigmal are likely to reflex-save for 0 damage from that, too.

One of my favourite new fight setups, actually, third only to the inproved tower battle and the Rainbow Rock battle. One time, Smigmal initiated a conversation in the middle, and summoned assassins into this. Now that was a piece of fun.

-------------------

I had a few problems with temple priests. True enough, I'm LG so I need to exterminate them, but that might pose a problem for another party. Kelno attacked me w/o talking. When I entered Belsorig's room, the fight started first, and he then initiated a dialogue OVER the battle setup (meaning the fight was still going, and would continue regardless of what I said). One weird bug, that.

Also, does "Flee Combat" option work? I tried to use it on "portals" and keep getting the "invalid action" message.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I tihnk you have to do it at the very start, and it takes you back out the nearest portal. Can't use it if youare half-way through the fight.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Oh, I thought it was fine to use as long as you're next to a door to another area... Hmm, I'll try to use it the way you describe, I guess.

EDIT: Found another small bug - the Ring of Free Movements (Lareth's) allows you to move while paralyzed because of stat loss, which it shouldn't i think.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, it's like the fire temple salamanders. You can be out of range/out of sight, but they'll still nail you. Co8 brainiacs of yore said it was because NPC spells actually originate at the location of their targets ...

Has the temple alert been raised? Also, did you install Sitra's reactive temple files, by any chance?

They shouldn't do that under normal conditions, and nothing was changed with the priests in the last modpack.

This is the 'official' description of the flee thing, which was added in Atari patch 1:

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

What I am saying is that I enter from the right door (from level 3 sewer hole) and immediatly once I see the bugbears, Falrinth fireballs over the wall to the area by the door icon. My people are not in the middle area between the doors so there is no way he can see me since he is far into his room.

I do agree, the fight was a lot of it. It was actually fun fighting Smigal, assassins, bugbears, and Falrinth all at once in two directions. I probably would not have survived if I didn't have Thrommel with me.

But that only happened one time. On another reload it was fine, he initiated combat when he saw me in between the doors.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^Oh, you went through THAT door. Well, weird, never had that happen to me...

That's why I thought it was weird, too. Somehow, I've had all sorts of trouble with correct dialogue initiation before combat this time around. What's "Temple Alert"? I did kill Romag before going to Kelno, but that's never beenan issue before. And no, I didn't activate the Reactive Temple scripts.

And thanks for the "flee" thing description. Weird that it didn't work when I wanted to use it (basilisk fight, character petrified, blocking the way, no way to kill the guy) - since I think I fulfilled all the prerequisites...

7. Gaear

The temple alert is when the entire temple has been notified of your presence and are supposed to go KOS on you no matter what. It is only given in a few instances - Smigmal can do it, and so can Hedrack's concubine gal. And there's another way I can't remember atm. It's not given when any elemental temple priest dies, because they are supposed to be conspiring against each other and killing each other off.

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Ah that is why Hedrack was KOS on me. In other news, I was wandering around the air node and found the air temple priest down there. Never saw him before but with all of the new content I decided to start skipping levels 1 and 2 of the temple and start with the tower fight and go to level 3 and 4.

For some reason, I really dont like levels 1 and 2 of the temple. I dont have a good reason why though. I think it might be the tediousness of killing room after room after room. I would rather the entire game be outside with new content like HB and WB.

Does anything fun happen if you have the air priest join the group and then go after the fire priest?

9. Gaear

You mean Alrrem's brother Ashrem, right? Not Kelno? Al and Ash will banter back and forth aggressively if you talk to Al with Ash in the group. That was 'restored' in 5.7 I believe ... it had become broken quite some time ago.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

'

Frankly, I have skipped them ever since vanilla ;) I usually just go pick out the priests and move on. In contrast, I love level 3 of the temple.

11. Ola

Ola Member

Hi, I don't know if these bugs relate to 5.8.xNC or to bugs left from the vanilla game.

Found so far (Chaotic good party):

When I switch weapons with the "combos/quick slots" some characters have their maximum hit points lower by 5 permanently. This only happens to spellcasters (wizard and cleric) not other members of the party (fighter, ranger, thief). It only seem to happen once.

After I complete the "Traders revealed" and "The traders courier" OR speaks with Kent (Moathouse respawn) I sometimes get a CTD when checking the quest log. This usually happens when I check the log for Hommlet, switch to another and then back. I am not sure what triggers it or if these quest have anything to do with it.

In the "Ego" part of the log, some parts are missing. This is the text under the portraits for the "misc" category. This have been working like the other tabs, then disappeared, returned and disappeared again.

When I retrieve the orb for Alrrem and then choose to keep it instead of giving it to him, the quest is not "botched" (should it be?) and will remain "accepted" even after he is killed.

When I travel down the "central stair" on level 1 in the temple, the one that leads to the room behind the magically locked door on level 2, I get trapped. There does not seem to be any way out and I can't find a way to open the door. The only way to get out is to reload.

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Are you using alignment-buffed weapons (e.g. holy, unholy, axiomatic, anarchic)? Those can give you a temporary "negative level" if your character isn't of the same alignment, which reflects in the HP and to hit bonus.

IIRC, it was a sort of "trap" in the original module as well - I mean, you ARE traveling down the sacrificial hole of some sort. Still, there's locked doors to get out, and a high enough Open Lock skill, or the Knock spell can take care of that.

13. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I don't know if this is something specific to Mod 5.8 or not.

After battling and killing Lareth I obtained two scrolls of Extraplanar Chest and one of Animate Dead. At least I seem to recall that is where I got them from. It may have been somewhere else in the Moathouse. After doing this and doing that I returned to Hommlet and talked to Brother Smyth who identified them.

I had the two Extraplanar Chest scrolls stacked together in my wizard's inventory. I had my wizard copy the spell into his spellbook. I then looked at my inventory to discover that the copy routine used both of the scrolls.

So. I copied the spell/scroll and it used both scrolls. Is this part of the ToEE engine messing up or is it something with the Mod itself? I had saved the game just immediately prior to this as a safety and will reload, seperate the two scrolls, do the copy, etc. and then save as an alternate.

14. Ola

Ola Member

No, regular non-magical weapons. I have tried to duplicate it both with a save from later in the game and with a new character but it have not happened again.

It's not the spiral staircase, it's the stairs "south" of that room on level 1. The magical locked "door" might be curtains or something similar. They can't be highlighted like a door so I can't open them that way and I have tried both Knock and Dispel magic. There are several similar "doors" on both level 1 and 2. When a character is standing close to them the text "magically held" or something similar is shown.

15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

1) weird;
    2) There should be a staircase to go back up iirc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!