Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.x/5.8.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Apr 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Moathouse Spawn Notes:
    1) Fighting the witch, hey first attack was shout or cone of something. It took out a lot of her own mobs haha.
    2) Outside, the bears at the top of the map fight each other when you intitate combat. The black attacked the brown/grizzly.
    3) The dire boards near the bridge (outside) did non lethal damage for their first couple of attacks.
    4) Love the new item from the witch's sister.

2. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I don't know if this is a bug or not so my apologies if this is true. Here goes.

When I first begin playing several weeks ago I created my favorite PC, a dwarven ranger, and begin playing. I had Patch 1 & 2. I then ran into the "no loot" bug and found Co8 online. I then installed mod 4.7.2 which resolved that problem. After starting the mod I began a new game with the same neutral party make up. I was able to select my already made PC and create the party, no problem.

Just a moment ago I installed 5.8.0 after having backed up my 5.7.2 data using Front End X. I then began a new game, same party alignment, but my PC was not in the list. In his place was a character named Giant.

So, I restored the save using Front End X and here comes my character back from the grave, so to speak—Giant is not present. I can now create a new party using my much beloved PC. The opening splash screen does state that I have the 5.8.0 mod installed so I hope I do not run into any problems. It is a shame that I will not be able to continue the journey but understand that to be a drop to be placed into the proverbial holy grail. I will be deleting all the saved games just in case.

OR should I copy my PC's three files (ToeePC, TXT and BAK) to some place and then do a re-install of 5.8.0 by activating 5.7.2 and de-activating 5.8.0. Then re-activate 5.8.0, copy my PC over to the appropriate directory and start a new game? A bit convoluted but this might be the better way to do this?

On a slightly different note while I do enjoy the opening vignette of the trader's inn, I do miss the background it is missing. What would be nice, but possibly out of the realm of possibilities, is an opening vignette as to why the party mysteriously appears in the inn. Perhaps a meeting with a shadowy good or evil or neutral NPC explaining why the party is being sent on the mission. It does not necessarily have to be a movie, perhaps just an scrollable text block with a story.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Ranth, thanks for all the info, I'll check into it.

It was perfectly normal that your PC was not there. When you activate a new module, you are playing the new module, not part of the old module. The backup feature is for going back to the previous module that you backed up. The giant is a prefab PC who is always there.

I'm confused - you mean you somehow 'restored' a saved game from 5.7 for use in 5.8? You shouldn't be able to do that, and the fact that you somehow did probably means you've got a weird hybrid install going that will be fraught with all kinds of problems.

If you want the same character you had from 5.7 in 5.8, why don't you just rebuild him/her?

If I were you I would activate 5.7 (or any module other than 5.8) again so as to clear up any contamination, then activate 5.8 again, and then and don't do any hanky-panky with copying saves or characters over from one module to another. The front end is designed to make life easy for you, but it's impossible for it to be fool-proof against hanky-panky. so, don't do any hanky-panky. Rule of thumb: if the front end doesn't offer a way to do something, don't try to do it yourself.

Well, the shopmap area description boxes do tell you what the deal is with the shopmap. There is no story, as it were; you buy your starting gear there, rest and get ready, and then start your adventure by going on to your actual opening vignette.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hey everyone, I started a new game. Standard 5 PC party, LG, roll but no reroll - as a result one PC with overpowered stats, the rest with stats equal or below to what one'd get out of point-buy (str15 con13 paladin, lol). Took Ronald as an NPC for the first time ever, hope he makes a decent bowman. I haven't played the 5.7.x so the XP multipiler really bites. The game's a challenge again, yay! Finished the Bog, started the Moat, level 2 atm. This is fun, the new clothing is great, and the Bog was awesome. I only wish there was more stuff to do there. It was sort of sad how you could go almost straight to the boss room, skipping like half the goblin hordes. The boss should pack a bit more punch too, imo - went down a bit too easy. My lvl1 rogue also couldn't open that chest... And I had to do a few more Fedex quests to gain lvl 2 =( But the groaning spirit was a niice touch! Freaky as hell.

Anyway, I'll be seeing what more surprises the new release brings. Awesome stuff thus far. Made me skip my afternoon nap and that's quite something! ^___^

I'm not there yet, but has to be shout. She did that in earlier versions as well.

I just got attacked by the guy with no problem. must be sth weird on your side.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Points well taken Gaear and I was not being critical, just tryin' to point out what may have been a problem—reporting back on my observations.

As I said, my original PC from vanilla had no problems, none, with the 5.7.2 mod seeing him. In other words 5.7.2 carried him over. My PC was there when I converted from vanilla to 5.7.2. I was just too duhhh to think of copying and pasting the three files from the one to the other.

And yes, I had 5.8 activated and restored a 5.7 backup set of saves. I followed the Front End X text file to the letter. I backed up my 5.7.2 using the "Backup" feature and then activated the 5.8 module. After seeing that I would have to create a new character from scratch I went and "Restored" my 5.7.2 files in Front End X while 5.8 was activated. I then went and started a new game with my original vanilla PC. I did it and followed all the rules to the letter.

Yes, I could console the same set of stats. However, I do not recall what his starting equipment was and it has been reported that consoling his feats is not possible at this time.

The rest of this posting is more of my thinking out loud and may contribute to the knowledge base. It is not meant in any way as a criticism. To my way of thinking the non-PC characters from vanilla started out with a default set of equipment. Now we purchase their equipment and with this I have no problem. I can only guess that the modding community took this same set of vanilla characters and emptied their backpacks. So there should be no difference, other than the equipment, in the other information contained in the computer file(s) for the vanilla group. Am I correct in this thinking?

My reason for bringing this up is that, theoretically, there should be no problem with bringing my PC over from one mod to another. I know when I look at him in 5.8 in the trader's inn I see no differences. It appears that the "what the character has done/accomplished lies in the *.txt file. The *.ToEEPC file is the basic stats?

All this being said I will re-activate 5.7, write down the stats and the feats, reactivate 5.8 and move on from there. I will console in his stats to match (minus the 1 point STR from level-up) and choose the feats that are appropriate. Then I will start a new game. Ahh, to be able to add new areas and content at will. <g> But that would really screw up the balance.

Yes, I spoke out of turn on the opening vignette. I am referring to a story line just after the party creation but before showing up in the trader's inn. At present there are two slider windows with what you should do. I am referring more to something along the lines of: Since you have accepted this task for me, Lord Blah-blah, in the hope that you will rid the world of all these do-gooders; I want you to visit my private inn and trading establishment where you will be able to supply yourself and rest before raping and pillaging the world. Obviously it would change depending on the party's alignment. If it was possible have it in a slightly wider slider window. Then lead in to the two slider windows.

Going back earlier in this posting, I realize that even though I can play my 5.7.2 save (I played it for several rest and combat and Hommlet / Nulb visits) from within 5.8; I would not be able to play the other new contents areas. Or at least I should not be able to do so.

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    I have a few notes on 5.8.0 NC
    1.) I don't know if this is true with "plain" 5.8 or not, but if you complete the "Agent Revealed" quest (as requested by Burne) and then complete "Trader's Courier" BEFORE talking to Rannos and Gremag, it is impossible to complete "Traders Revealed", even though the traders will admit to being agents of the temple and will pay you whatever you want (I tried all the dialogue options with both of them) for your silence.
    2.) According to the speech Renton gives you, Mathel in Welkwood Bog is undead. I was however able to put him down with a sleep spell. Aren't all undead immune to Sleep ?
    3.) Welkwood Bog Rocks !! I love it !! Well Done !! It is a fine challenge for a 1st level party, and I love how the monsters pop out of nowhere like commandos.
    The Royal Canadian

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Has Smigal's chest been changed? I fought her, and her assassins, got her key, but her chest was empty. I thought there was something in it before.

8. Gaear

Smigmal's chest should have a potion of reduce person, gems, jewelry, and platinum. It's all in there, according to the .mobs.

@TRC

1. An old report. I guess I should look into it more closely one day.
    2. Okay, I will more fully 'undeadify' him.

Only if you go the downstairs route. Non-linearity and all that.

I'm afraid this kind of thing just varies wildly. Ranth told me he had to try the fight 10 times before beating Mathel, so he might not like the idea of making him tougher too much. ;)

Okay, okay, I will lower the DC from 24 to 19. (24 is lower than chests found in Hommlet, incidentally.) I hate not being able to pick locks too.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry about the Witch, I didn't tinker with her once I established she still worked. The boars do non-lethal damage because they are charging: thats an old bug, we can't fix it.

10. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

@Ted Its fine really. Of the 3-4 times I fought the witch she did fireball half the time and shout the other half. Not a huge problem.

I am encountering another problem though in the Hedrack fight. I enter the room, do my normal dialogue with him, and intiate the fight. He calls apon Iuz, who begins to speak to the PC holding the golden skull. After I refuse to give it to him, the fight stops and everyone stands around (which is a nice time to heal). Then I can initiate combat whenever I want. This is illustrated by the first screen shot of us all standing around, notice no combat sequence at the top of the screen.

Then, Cuthbert is summoned as usual, he does his banter with Iuz (it seemed a little shorter than usual) then he stands around without dispelling himself or Iuz. Iuz keeps fighting me, but Cuthbert does nothing. This makes the fight impossible since Iuz is there.

I know this fight is bugged for a lot of people, but I have never encountered this before 5.8.0. Just wanted to share.

Note: I did this fight twice (albeit off the same save) and it happened both times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  11. Gaear

Okay, I looked over the whole HB saga as described by Ranth, and here is what I found:

1. I can't reproduce Noblig reappearing at the north end of the map if he ran off originally and you've already been in the cave and left HB via world map. We'll just have to wait for more feedback on that. I could bullet-proof that scenario by turning off the speaking NPCs as they run off, but then the won't really run off or disappear, they'll just vanish instantly.

2. If you've been in the cave, all the NPCs that speak, if you haven't already spoken to them, should no longer speak but attack if you encounter them in their original spots on the HB map. (i.e., if you avoided them on your way to the cave somehow.) This wasn't happening reliably, but it's been fixed. So now you won't get anybody telling you old news.

Everything else seems to have happened as it should. You can indeed find routes to take to the cave that avoid many or most of the speaking NPCs. In fact, if you go entirely along the southern edge, you won't run into anybody but Lord Krunch. This would ultimately be the least fun and interactive way, though.

12. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Thanks for checking into it Gaear. I notice I am posting a lot of bugs so I fear my install may be bugged, but I did a clean install before 5.8 to eliminate that possibility. Oh well, I wish I still had the save so I can email it to you, but I dont.

13. Gaear

Actually I could see the run-off stuff being flukey, just because ToEE seems to handles scripts differently from one play to the next. We may indeed need to bulletproof it.

Meant to mention - yes, the archers should 5-foot step away, but right now they seem to have a rather appealing habit of going melee about half the time and staying ranged about half the time, which is entirely accidental. If I change their AI's to one that uses 5 foot step, they'll probably stop switching to melee, the 5 foot step won't work anyway, and their AI routines will become completely broken and they'll just stand there. And then if we revert them to their former AI routines, they will no longer work like they used to.

Seriously, that's how tinkering with AI usually works for me. :eek:_O:

14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Actually, the orc archers never went to melee. They tried to shoot me from point blank, giving another near by an attack of opportunity.

15. Gaear

Yeah I know, I just mean they sometimes start out ranged, sometimes melee.* At least in my game, but of course we're talking ToEE here, so it could be completely different for others.

* This may not be apparent to the casual player - I'm talking about the specific 'orc soldier' proto, which always comes equipped with a bow. Sometimes they use them from the get, sometimes they choose their melee weapons instead. They're usually found in the rear rank or guarding spellcasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!