Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.x/5.8.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Apr 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

(Sigh)

No not seriously. Just being facetious. Thanks for your reply though. I guess you had to take me seriously, sorry.

It seems to be easy for people to believe I'm dumb.

Or: Good Burn! :thumbsup:

2. Selufein

Selufein Elf Berserker

Contains Spoiler !

The smith can't give me the quest after the moathouse respawn.

After having completed the Hickory Branch quest with the smith and elder, I came back to talk to the smith and ask him again about "something different". He tels me to talk to Kent and the kid tels me about the witch in the Moathouse.
    Before going to the moathouse, I talked again to the smith and asked him again about "something different".
    I told him: "That tip on the Moathouse worked out well for me. Got any other leads like that?" even though I haven't cleared the moathouse yet.
    He tells me: "As a matter of fact I do. It's a place called Verbocono. But you can't go there just yet." --> I suppose that I have to finish the moathouse respawn 1st and ask him again later.
    So I went to destroy every single monster of the moathouse + completed the quest with the letter from the witch and the drows and asked again the smith about "something different". This time I couldn't tell him that I've cleared the moathouse and he would say nothing to give me the next quest.
    Am I missing something to complete the quest or is it a bug? I've also tried to talk again to Kent and he would'n say anything about the witch.

ps: Sorry guys I haven't checked all the forum yet and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right thread.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Selufein, you can't go to Verbobonc yet because the Verbobonc mod isn't in the Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.1 NC (i.e. the version of the Circle of Eight Modpack that you are playing at the moment). The Verbobonc mod will be in the upcoming Circle of Eight Modpack 5.9 NC which will be will be available to download from ModDB this coming Sunday, August 29.

4. Selufein

Selufein Elf Berserker

Thanks for your answer gazra.
    I knew that Verbobonc wasn't in this mod but I supposed there was still something else similar to it called "Verbocono" (since the smith mentions it in his dialog). :confused:
    I suppose that solves it anyway.
    I'm looking forward to see the 5.9NC. Great job guys (and girls:chick:)!

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Incidentally, the only requirements for moving onto the next available new content segement are that the game's story state be at a certain point, you have not already asked Smyth about it (so he won't tell you the same thing over and over), and you have checked in with the lead he gave you (in the case of the Moathouse Respawn, Kent). It is not required that you complete one NC segment before getting the next. In this fashion, you can stockpile the NC stuff and not be pinned to doing it at rigidly specific times, if you so desire.

The Verbobonc line in 5.8 is a placeholder. "Verbocono" = silly = not there yet.

6. Selufein

Selufein Elf Berserker

I understand. That was actually the first time that I tried to stockpile the smith's quests, so I didn't know. Thanks for your answer.

7. Selufein

Selufein Elf Berserker

Re: bugs in Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.1 NC

Bug repport: Terjon can't cure my PCs' hp.

I tell Terjon that I need some healing. He asks me what type of healing I need, and I reply that "some wounds need attending". He tells me that Calmert can cure light wounds... blablabla and that he may assist me if my wounds are more dire.

Then I just get 1 dialog option:
    "That's okay Terjon, I have some other questions, though."

And the conversation comes back to the main dialog options (and he doesn't cure me of course). It's a bit annoying since he offered me to get cheaper cures after having completed quests for him (converting some villagers to his church + getting back his amulet). I'm supposed to get "cure serious wounds" for 200gp from Terjon. Jaroo costs 350gp for the same cure magic! He is such a swindler.
    Anyway, the other healers (Jaroo, Smithy and Calmert) can still heal me and Terjon can still heal me from Poison. He just can't be asked to use "cure serious wounds".

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  8. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Cure serious wounds would be a better bargain for you, healing more for slightly more money, that's why they only offer cure light wounds. They make more money. It's the church. It's always about the money.

9. Selufein

Selufein Elf Berserker

Yeah... I'll burn to the ground St Cuthbert's church if they don't give me the cures I want!
    (I'm "Chaotic"good after all)

10. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I realize that this question is several weeks old. However, I installed 5.8.1 recently so I thought I would respond. I have encountered the jerkstop problem with the 5.8.1 patch. So far, it has only happened 4 times and I'm on my second time through so that really is not too bad. Of the 4, three happened upon arrival in Hommlet from another location. The fourth happened in Hickory Creek.

I noticed each time that it happened that it looked like several creatures were acting unusually, like they were trying to load or something. The first time, I arrived at north Hommlet and it looked like Black Jay's sheep had been struck by a basilisk - they didn't move a whisker.

When it did happen, it was quite crippling. My party could only move a little each time I selected them and chose a location for them to go to. The solution was for me to either move to a new location using the world map or to get them to a door.

Again, it was not really that bad and I could live with it as I love the new content but I can certainly understand where it would cause complaints.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

It gets progressively worse and more common.

12. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Nope. I have never experienced jerkstop in my game yet and I have been everywhere and done everything in the game (I'm playing a good party for the most part) except for the assassin quest, some of the quests within Hommlet itself (involving the local townsfolk), and I'm up to and currently clearing out level 1 of the Temple of Elemental evil.

The game has crashed to desktop a few times for me though (like when I first tried to start a game with more than 5 PCs, and once or twice when I saved the game during combat (the game saved the game (i.e. the saved game file seems to work fine) but the game crashed as soon as the game had generated the saved game file)).

Also, the only time that the game slows down for me (I realize that this isn't jerkstop) is when I scroll (or pan) around the map while in combat mode - the effect is much worse (i.e. much slower frame rate) when there are lots of characters who are barbarian raging on screen.

13. Gaear

The game is probably at its most resource-consumption intensive when you're in combat and mousing around over the screen, because everywhere you mouse, the game is trying to calculate pathnodes (what's the best route?), blocking tyles (can you go there?), enemy reach and AoOs, etc. So slowdowns while doing that are 'normal,' per se. (In a perfect world, the game would be better able to handle it. But the ToEE world is not perfect.)

Has anybody else ever had jerkstop at Hickory Branch? That sounds odd.

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Had it several times in 5.8.0NC, but not in 5.8.1NC, particularly after combat is complete on the big map. Sometimes I would go back there as a stop point between random world map encounters, or if I go back to town before the cave to unload.

15. Gaear

That's weird.

@mmonagle, sorry to ask this, but are you sure you're playing 5.8.1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!