Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Aug 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I generally figure that if I'm going to go to the trouble of overhauling a dialog, I can take the liberty of streamlining it. Low INT lines tend to make a dialog file more complicated and difficult to get a grasp of from a modding standpoint, at least for me, and sometimes they take up valuable real estate. Personally I've never once laughed at a ToEE low INT line, and in fact I feel embarassed for the writers whenever I come across them. (e.g., every low INT line in the game must start with "me" instead of "I" - that's about as unimaginitive as it gets.) I don't know, maybe they did it better in Fallout and Arcanum. :shrug:

Does anybody actually play with a low INT character as a frontman/communicator?

2. sanuu

sanuu Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack Bug Report Thread

1. State whether game is self-modded or not.
    Not moded
    2. State your operating system, service packs, and anti-virus software.
    windows XP professional SP2, i got symantec antivirus
    3. State regional version of the game.
    English.
    4. State which version of Front End you're using.
    Latest - TFE-X v2.1
    5. State whether you're using barebones Co8 5.5.0 or an add-on pack.
    i tryed both 5.5.0 and 5.6.0
    6. State your problem in as much detail as possible.
    i noticed that i can't loot any char and magic missile spell (from wizard / sorcerer ) is usable */-511 times

[edit]

Moved from the bug thread as this is a long known and previously documented bug.

@Sanuu - You need the correct no-cd as erkper points out above. We can't link to it, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

4. sanuu

sanuu Member

sorry only now found ur answer sorry.
    oh i think i have the wrong crack then :s can u tell me where i should download the right crack?

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Exactly :)

ToEE's moron dialogue wasn't nearly as funny, unfortunately.

As for using a retard as a frontman, it's precisely for those shits and giggles moments. Well, except for all half-orc-barbarian theme parties maybe (which is pretty fun, if somewhat easy :) )

Also, regarding real estate in dialogue files:

I think future modding should space out dialogue nodes far more than the original game. For major dialogue nodes, I usually clear a range of 100 nodes, and for lesser nodes, 20 (unless it's a 'railroaded' node, then 10 is adequate).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  6. Sitra Achara

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

We can't link to or post the no-cd crack due to it's gray legal status. Google for ToEE patch 2 no-cd and you should find it without too much trouble.

Note that your antivirus will probably tell you the file is a trojan - this is incorrect. See the sticky thread in this forum for more details.

[edit] - Well, there used to be a stickied thread...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Removal of low INT lines???? I like those!

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think they're funny, but its only when you start trying to write one for every damn line that you realise what a limited pay-off they are. For every genuine moment of wit, there's a bunch of bugs introduced (for anyone playing a low Int face man) because you forgot to add the "me agree" after the "I agree", so then you cut corners and it instantly becomes an immersion-breaking mish-mash of low / hi Int lines alternating. :shrug:

10. Sitra Achara

Yeah, and it seems that quite a few low INT dialogue have been cut (basically almost everything Gaear touches :p), so it's not just a missed line here and there.

The way Fallout handled it is that in most cases you could say nothing but 'uhhh?' and NPCs would just dismiss you (and sometimes even attack you or try to fob you off). That way, the few who do respond to you do so in a unique fashion (as opposed to how it's implemented in ToEE, where you just reword the PC's replies), and the amount of work required is reduced by a lot. Personally, I'd prefer it that way.

Either way, I think there ought to be a consistent policy for this, rather than every modder doing whatever strikes their fancy.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

11. Sitra Achara

I would like to ask that every use of an NPC's internal flags be well documented in their script file, as a comment in the beginning of the file. Same idea as the global flags and vars list - to avoid conflicting scripts.

Also, using NPCs' internal variables as 0/1 flags is a waste, since every integer variables in fact contains 32 flags.

Here is a proposition for an improved version accomodating 32 NPC internal flags by utilizing all the bits of obj_f_npc_pad_i_3.

Code:
    def npc_set(attachee,flagno):
        # flagno is assumed to be from 1 to 32
        exponent = flagno - 1
        if exponent == 31:
            abc = -1
        elif exponent > 31 or exponent < 0:
            print 'error!'
        else:
            abc = pow(2,exponent)
        tempp = attachee.obj_get_int(obj_f_npc_pad_i_3) | abc
        attachee.obj_set_int(obj_f_npc_pad_i_3, tempp)
        return    

def npc_unset(attachee,flagno):
        exponent = flagno - 1
        if exponent == 31:
            abc = -1
            print 'error!'
        else:
            abc = pow(2,exponent)
        tempp = (attachee.obj_get_int(obj_f_npc_pad_i_3) | abc) - abc
        attachee.obj_set_int(obj_f_npc_pad_i_3, tempp)
        return    

def npc_get(attachee,flagno):
        exponent = flagno - 1
        if exponent == 31:
            abc = -1
            print 'error!'
        else:
            abc = pow(2,exponent)
        return attachee.obj_get_int(obj_f_npc_pad_i_3) & abc != 0

Example of use:
    Code:
    {152}{Look, Jayfie. I really need your help. Will you help me?}{}{1}{pc.stat_level_get( stat_gender ) == gender_female and not npc_get(npc,2)}{200}{npc_set(npc,2)}

(instead of npc_2(npc) and get_2(npc), respectively)

I've done a test and it seemed to work fine.

I also propose standardizing the use of the internal NPC variables as follows:

obj_f_npc_pad_i_3 - internal flags, for game logic scripting
    obj_f_npc_pad_i_4 - internal variable/state machine
    obj_f_npc_pad_i_5 - dedicated to combat/AI scripting (as seen in Livonya.py), not to be used in game logic scripting.

Another idea that came to me is that we could implant an unlootable invisible item on an NPC's person to store additional vars in its object internal variables (in case more variables are needed; the 32 flags are enough, I should think). Or, better yet, just use the damned Persistent Data already...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Those are all perfectly reasonable ideas, Sitra (and I personally try to 'document' the use of personal flags at the end of the .py &/or .dlg files or I forget myself what they do). I might point out there is already the option to use these as variables - npc_var1() and get_var1() etc - but add and use those ideas by all means. I have to say, though, having used these extensively in KotB, I have never had any need for more than 3: while they are very handy, they are also very limited in as much as any change to an NPC that you want any other NPC to ever know about has to be done through a global flag.

Good pickup on 5: I missed that completely. But Livonya.py is only included because scripts.py calls it: its not othewise used in ToEE (yet).

13. Sitra Achara

Well, if you want PCs to be able to ask/say certain things only once, as Gaear has started implementing, having more than 3 flags is probably beneficial. I've also personally used the pad flags for other things in the traders mod, so I wouldn't want things to conflict. (integrating the mod with new releases is rapidly becoming a buttload of work... I just barely did it with 5.5.0 and then you released 5.6.0...)

Also, I'm aware Livonya's AI scripting isn't utilized in ToEE, but I think 'yet' should be the operative word here :)

14. Sitra Achara

Why did you change the Temple secret staircase exit point?

It was in the right place according to the module...

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually it was not in the right place, at least according to my reading of the module. I don't have it handy to quote atm.

Our Host!