Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Aug 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hmm, I thought the Moathouse Respawn was supposed to have been taken out of 5.6.0?

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    It was "supposed" to have been removed, but I assume that you discovered that the witch and her crew are indeed in the basement. I should point out that if you follow the witch's map to where the Drow were in Co8 5.5, there is nothing there. I should also point out that this has been mentioned in the bug thread.
    The Royal Canadian

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Necroticpus: it's The Dreaded Jerkstop Phenomenon. TM It normally happens in Hommlet, but apparently it can happen anywhere. We don't yet know all the reasons behind it, so there's not much we can do to prevent it, but the good news is that a map change usually fixes it. At worst, quit the game and relaunch and things should be fine.

@shadow5: all known bugs, but thanks for reporting. They'll be fixed in the next release.

The witch and co. (or their spawner) did accidentally slip by, but they're not supposed to be there and they won't be in the next release.

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Well, this is good and bad news. The good news is that it's not just me or my machine. The bad news is that quitting and restarting did not fix it, so after I get home from work, I'll be reforming the same party and giving it another shot.

You know what, I thought it was just a passing problem and I saved it while it was being unfriendly and jackstopping. I wonder if that's why it won't fix itself after quitting the game?

5. Gaear

Probably. You would have written the conditions that were causing the jerkstop to the save. Go back to an older save if you have one ... you should always keep multiples.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Jerkstop isn't slow at all. It's regular movement that terminates abruptly, before it's finished. Nec's problem sounds a little like the fire node stuff.

7. Necroticpus

It is quite a lot like the fire node stuff. Maybe that was jerkstopping but we just never had a word for it before! If it is 2 separate problems, they still both suck.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

It's a different phenomena. Jerkstop is where speed is normal, but movement commands are abruptly terminated, incomplete.

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I had the same thing happen to me as it did to Necroticpus, except in Smigmal's hideout, after the fight with assassins. Reloading an earlier save fixed it.

Also, I noticed a problem with miscast for sorcerers and bards: instead of losing one spell from a miscast, they lose two. I think it's a pretty old issue, I wonder if anything was done to resolve it?

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I think someone mentioned it before, but Brother Smith fails to refresh to his masterwork inventory after the Giant Head quest (which is strange since it worked fine in older releases).

11. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Yes, it happened to me, with 5.6.1.

12. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    Got a couple of new "bugs" for Gaear and Ted to ponder over. I thought I might have had a bad install, so I did a fresh install on a Vista (SP1) laptop, followed be Patch 1 and Patch 2 (I didn't need to install .NET as it was factory installed already). I then installed Co8 5.6. Here are the bugs I discovered today:
    1.) My bard was finally able to pick the lock on the chest that Brother Smyth asks you to open. The weird thing is: It's EMPTY !! There's nothing inside. I didn't get the usual dialogue that you get when you manage to pick the lock on the chest. Brother Smyth just stood there and didn't say a word.
    2.) I keep seeing a "MES missing line 108" error message in my wizards 3rd Level Spell List.
    3.) I tried playing the game in "Windowed" mode for a while, but didn't like it and went back to full screen mode. Ever since, whenever I try to scroll the cursor near the top of the screen the game thinks I am selecting Elmo for some stupid reason.
    The Royal Canadian

13. Gaear

Re: the chest, it doesn't actually contain anything itself. When you open it, Brother Smyth is supposed to initiate dialog and give you the stuff that's supposedly inside it - a horn and some coins.

I just tested it and it worked fine for me.

14. Necroticpus

I am very sad. The gnarley forest drow encounter is gone with the .50 smith and wesson reward, the orc cave I cannot get anymore from the town elder/mayor, hickory branch is gone, rannos and gremag were nerfed hugely and I killed them in 2 rounds, even with playing the 25 point buy and no stat higher than 14. I just smoked Falrinth and Smigmal and will now attempt a run to get the holy ranseur and see if Verbobonc is still there. Maybe Hedrack's fight was beefed up hugely. Not just the Hedrack fight, the whole basement floor and the nodes!

15. Gaear

Rannos and Gremag were not nerfed at all, nor were any other battles made more or less difficult with the exception of Falrinth and Smigmal (which should be much harder).

The absence of the other custom content should not be surprising either, as it's been widely publicized in the news threads for 5.6.

Our Host!