Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by GuardianAngel82, Nov 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. WCG

WCG Member

That worked! Without saving the game in the introductory shop, I was able to play without any problems. At least, it hasn't crashed yet.

I'm glad I stumbled across this info, but I recommend that it be included in the ToEE Troubleshooting Checklist.

I can't say that I'm impressed with the game itself. It starts out incredibly slowly (I like to talk to NPCs, but wouldn't it make sense to have some fighting break up my exploration of the town?). And the formation system stinks. Apparently, there's no way to keep my party lined up in the correct direction. But those are not problems with the mod, of course (though, not having played the unmodded game, I don't know what has been changed).

Thanks again!

2. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

WCG,

There were one or two fights in Hommlett. One was near St. Culbert's church. But that was in vanilla TOEE. The mod moved that fight to a different location. You are correct that most of us played vanilla TOEE before the mod. Certain actions were added by the mod like the Read Magic spell. Before Read Magic you had to use the Identify spell (cost 100gp) or have a merchant identify scrolls and potions.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The formations in ToEE are about as free-form as you can get. You can put anyone anywhere. :shrug:

4. WCG

WCG Member

Yes, and that IS nice. But I really miss not being able to hold down the left mouse button and set which way the formation faces during movement. Instead, we just click to move, and I keep ending up with the wizard in front. I'd gladly give up the free-form formations, if I could have more control over their actual use.

This isn't much of a problem with straight-line movement in a wide-open area, but I think it's a real pain for more constricted places with lots of turns.

But I'm still enjoying the game. I really love this kind of turn-based, party-based RPG. I think it could have been a lot better, but consider the scarcity of these kinds of games, I really can't complain.

Our Host!