Circle of Eight Mod Pack 5.0.0 FINAL

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Jul 10, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. sweet sugar

sweet sugar Member

And what will that change? Nothing.
    I don't know but maybe i have wrong CMF 5.0.2:(

Kicks me from the game after intro.:sweatdrop

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

It may change one thing. To patch Co8 correctly you have to activate the mod through the front-end first which you, out of obvious reasons, couldn't do. If that doesn't help I'm all out of ideas.

3. sweet sugar

sweet sugar Member

Well... Because i have very stupid computer that kind of situations not suprised me.:roll:

Something is going on. game runnes but there is very big mess. i reinstaled the mod. Now wat i must do?:nervous:

I think something wrong is with that front-end.:chairshot

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. sweet sugar

sweet sugar Member

Ok game works fine. I just change some things and wuala:peace: . My last question is. Is there a polish version of the mod? If so where i can get it?

I haven't got any new portraits why?

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  5. maggit

You have to download a portrait pack. The portraits haven't been included in the
    modpack. As for the Polish version, no there's no translation. I used to work on
    one but my files got corrupted and I abandoned the project.

Hmm... May I suggest something to Co8? Why don't you standardize the mod
    so that is always in English, hm? I think it wouldn't grow that much if the next
    version of Co8 included all dialogue and menu files from the English version,
    this way players like us could avoid linguistic schizophrenia. :p Hmm come to
    think of it, we could also use the voice overs... I know my bro didn't finished the
    game because he was annoyed by having to switch from Polish to English and
    vice versa.

6. sweet sugar

sweet sugar Member

Anyway thanks for help and i wish you and your team many good modifications like that Co8. See you soon.;)

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Don't think I understand maggit ... the modpack is always in English.

8. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

@gaear

i think he means including in the pack all the others dialogues, not only the new ones.

If i understand well, their game should be in polish, and the modpack adds new content in english. So, while you ask directions in polish, suddendly you'll find talking to another charcter in english...if they take Meleny (in their version she's got a polish dlg) and Ronald (new charcter, which isn't in any patch, or their original game) in their party for example, you'll be changing languages from one to another.
    I guess i'll have a similar problem with a spanish version of the game. but i hate spanish translations (argentinian spanish, and spanish spanish sound too different) :shrug:

If the english dialogues are included in the pack, they would have all the dialogues in the same language.

9. Aesandil

Aesandil Wanderer

I think I understand and can explain, elaborating a bit (hope it won`t be too unclear). Maggit didn`t mean the modpack per se. The Co8 Mod is obviously in English, which means that every text and voice file you altered in some way or simply added will be (should be) also displayed in English. But, you haven`t changed every single file (as there was no need to, mostly when it comes to the voices).

So, what results when the ToEE vanilla install isn`t English is a mix of languages. Let me give you an example: take Belsornig of the Water Temple. His dialogue text is displayed in English for me, yet he speaks in Polish. His priests (Nalorrem and the other one the name of whom I`d forgotten) have dialogue texts in Polish (so there was no Co8 changes for them) - and of course no voices here, as they are mute. There are characters who have some of their dialogue lines Polish, the rest English, there are even cases when the voice is Polish just to have the last line(-s) to be uttered in English (Alrrem). Parts of text at the character creation or skills section are Polish, yet most is in English, etc.

Personally it doesn`t bother me that much, and at times I find it somewhat amusing. Gives me an "unique" opportunity to see if our translators didn`t screw up by inadvertently altering the meaning of some of the dialogues, making bad choices, or used a wrong word for their English counterpart. It`s also quite useful in knowing what has been, and what has been not altered by Co8 mods.

But, back to what maggit suggested: as I see it, he would like the Co8 mod to include *all* the dialogue/description files that exist in ToEE. And hopefully even the voice files. This way those of us who don`t own the English client could have the game running fully in English. I understand where he is coming from, and I certainly would welcome that.
    I can see the issues too. Now, it would be redundant to those of you who have the EN version of ToEE. It would also increase the size of the modpack (not the text files, but probably the sound ones), not sure by how much. There might be some other difficulties, too.
    Could be also an option to make two versions of the modpack - one for the owners of the English version of the game, the other for the non-English. Whether it would be possible without much effort and worth the trouble, is the question that remains.

I still curse our national distributor for not giving us a freedom of choice (they never do with cRPG games, bastards). I don`t even mean an additional CD, a downloadable patch would do. As it stands, there is no way to buy a non-Polish version of the game in the country, I don`t think there ever been. What is left is an option to use Amazon.com and the likes to make an order, or try to get it cheap (or for free from the net) by illegal means (bleh).

It is there, page 97. Could`ve used a bit longer description as for my taste, but nonetheless, was a nice surprise to see it being mentioned. Maybe the article will convince at least a few people to give the new, improved, Co8-ed ToEE a chance.

10. Half Knight

Well, since the dlg files are in a separate folder, it wouldn't be that hard or difficult. :)

By simply posting a rar file containing the folder with them, those who need it could download. The same for the other files, and thus, the extra weight on the modpack could be avoided.

Basically: you download the modpack, and if you need or want the english dlgs, just download them as separate folder and then you put them where it belongs.

I'll do it, but my install it's so fiddled and modifyed that at this point i don't know what i've changed and what not. i could post the original-vanilla ToEE files tho...

11. maggit

@Gaear, sorry for being unclear.

If Co8 wouldn't want to add those files to an installer, a separate pack could be made
    which would be installed before applying the modpack. 50 megs isn't that much, if you
    wan't to have the comfort of playing the English version of the game.

@Aesandil, thanks for the info. I'll have to check CDA out some time. :) As for
    translations, they do suck at times but it's a really ungrateful job doing a translation.
    Finding the right equivalent in a language is difficult but satisfying everyone - impossible. ;)

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We used to provide all the .dlg and .py files, but the non-modded ones were removed to keep the install size down. :shrug:

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks for the clarification, guys. I do see some issues here though. Firstly, adding all the voice mp3s to the modpack would triple its size, so that's pretty much out. Second, changing everything to English assumes that every non-English speaking player would want their entire game in English, and I don't think we can make that assumption.

As to making this stuff available as optional downloads, the voice files would probably too large to store on our server, and gathering all the other dialogue files and every other language descriptive file in the game sounds like a lot of work. I guess I wouldn't oppose it if someone else wanted to do it, but I don't think I'm going to undertake that myself.

14. Half Knight

Okay, i've checked, and only the dlg folder (the original-vanilla dlgs) it's 2,08 m of size.
    That would take like...humm, eigth to ten rar files to post here.
    Maybe too much to post, but i wouldn't have problem to email them if somebody wants them.

I know, the sound would be good too...but it's 160 m of size! :eek:mg:

15. sweet sugar

sweet sugar Member

Hello again:rock: . I just finished the game and want to play again with some new portraits. My question is where i can download this picture pack???:help:

Our Host!