Christchurch Quake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Sep 4, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hey, folks. Popped back in to check on Cujo. Any word after the quake? Things are pretty messed up, and of course, I'm hoping all is well with him.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I'm good, was pretty exciting, power just came back on, according to news reports there a bit of damage but no one died. I was actually up when it hit, and there's still been the odd after shock

3. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Good to hear from you... Seems like NZ is more prepared than poor Haiti. Glad you're okay :)

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well, this earthquake was more powerfull then the one that hit Haiti, but due to a few things it wasn't as devastating - NZ is on a major fault similar to San Andreas and the 1931 Hawke's Bay earthquake prompted a thorough review of New Zealand building codes, which were found to be totally inadequate. Many buildings built during the 1930s and 1940s are heavily reinforced, although more recent research has developed other strengthening techniques. So most of the damage to historic buildings was in the central city.

So, here's my story from last night;

World of warcraft; Lich king attempts, finally killed him at about 2.30am NZ time, so was on an adrenaline high after that, and we decided to do something more. So we're back in ICC on differnt characters and had just down a boss and were distrubting loot, when it hit. Some one was saying something on vent when I interupted them with something along the lines of "OH MY GOD its an earthquake, its a massive earthquake" and then the power went out. To start with it felt like a freight train was driving by - you know when you're parked at the front of the crossing and it goes by at about 60mph, then the shaking got bigger.

I've heard various reports but I woulda said it only lasted 30-45 seconds but I was pretty calm about it (my adrenaline was already pumping and I had it undercontrol). I heard some stuff fall and break, but damage at out place was only 1 sake jar thing and the head broke off an ornament. Since I last posted I've only felt 1 after shock and that was pretty weak. Looking at stuff online and in the media things seem a lot worse from how I'm seeing them, now the powr is back on its pretty much just a normal Saturday afternoon, altho my brother just rang and told me his mother-in-law still doesn't have power or water (our water never went out). I went past the local supermarket, which was open, but I think it was only just open, and it also looked like a watermain had burst over that way. There was some damage to the local shops and paving but not much

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

One of the Guardian Angels in Wellington said that two people were hurt, but no one was was killed. An Angel in Christchurch added that the sewers were "compromised".

Glad to hear you are okay Cujo. ;)

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Awesome. Glad you're none the worse for wear.

:hug:

Our Host!