Character Ability Scores

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ergonpandilus, Oct 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

When you create character, is that 25 points from PHP? Since it feel VERY low compared to "basic" option by rolling the dices.

If I raise one ability to 18, I cannot even raise the rest of the abilities to 10. But if I roll the dices, I get one ability 17-18, couple abilities 16-15 and rest of the abilities still above 10 very easily. Usually one or two re-rolls is enough.

Can I somehow modify that 25 points to 35?

2. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

IIRC there are 3 levels of point attribution, 25, 28 & 32. Sort of hard, normal & easy.

3. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

So, it wouldn't hurt to raise it 28 at least. How about the dice rolls, is 3 out of 4d6 the normal way?

4. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I thought 32 was normal and 45 was easy... 25 is the "hardcore" option, meant to be an alternative to 3d6 organic (aka, you roll for each ability score, and don't get to shuffle them around; roll THEN decide what class to play based on what you get).

Also, the game allows rerolls (you could just cancel and start over if it didn't), and in pen and paper you are NOT allowed to reroll..

Frankly the 25 point buy is pathetic, I always roll, I reroll a couple of times too until I get acceptable (and yes, acceptable sometimes means lower scores, it depends on the character I am coming up with)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

6. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Exactly!

So, how much should I put there? I think 32 would be good. I think I had to check IWD2, since it works there pretty good, even though it has a bit different point buy system...

@Sitra Achara: Thanks! :)

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I've always found using the Character Editor available from Sorcerer's Place is simpler than hex editing if all you want to do is change your character's stats. The editor is a bit wonky if you try to edit feats or skills, but I've never had any problem with using it to edit stats.

8. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Well, even easier way is to use console commands, but I like to have more permanent change so I dont need to "cheat".

9. Stuntman

Stuntman Member

25 points is the standard point buy. The 28 and 32 are for higher powered campaigns as indicated in the DMG. If you want to make a Monk, Paladin or Druid, you may want to use a higher point buy.

I find with ToEE, 25 points is good enough. I find that the game is more interesting in that I actually want to use spells like Bull's Strength to buff my party. With higher stats, I don't bother since I think my stats are high enough.

There is a way to cheat and get whatever stats you want. If for instance you want to use the 4th Edition D&D point buy method instead, you can just calculate what it would be and then just cheat and modify the stats to however you like.

10. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Hex Editing??? So much easier to just use the console to get the scores you want. I use a slightly modified 25-point system so that I can nerf some scores below 7 for a gain of 1/2 an ability point.

11. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

The hex editing was easy and I set the ability score value to 32. Now it's pretty much equal to "roll the dice" option. And the fix is now permanent and I don't need to worry about it or do any console command stuff. :D

12. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

I've never used the roll the dice option, really because of the possibility of exploiting it which may sound a little oddly paranoid. But it had me remain more true as I know I can be weak willed at times. So as I understand the DMG says that depending on the difficulty of the module. So would the average person on this forum say that the difficulty of CO8's ToEE constitute using more then a 25 point buy? Not that I object outright at someone using something higher, I'm just curious if what is created by Co8 is more difficult and if they'd be willing to impose a DMish restriction of what is deemed "average" if that makes any sense?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
Our Host!