Changing NPC Factions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by edmortimer, Sep 20, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

Are there commands usable in .dlg or .py files (preferably .dlg) that will remove or add a faction to an NPC?

I'm deep into my CE Temple Takeover Questline mod and being able to actually subvert factions by recruiting them into other factions would be a great help. I notice that all the other NPCs who change faction in ToEE (Fruella, Jakk Borton, Oohlgrist, for three examples) don't actually change factions -- it's just empty dialog.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Unfortunately no. One of the more lamentable limitations of ToEE. Even reading factions is impossible.

As a workaround, however, you can create alternate protos with the desired faction(s) and switch them on. Or, in some cases, grant multiple factions right from the start (what I did with Oohlgrist). Though I guess that sort of thing should be handled with care if applied on a grand scale.

3. edmortimer

Yes, as you know the whole faction sub-system has great potential -- but it's implementation is totally inadequate. I remember discussing the faction limitations with Troika (Tim) when I was working on Arcanum -- but it was so long ago, and so much has happened that I am having trouble remembering exactly what we discussed. But the impression I have is that because of time constraints, and demands from Atari for other features, the Faction sub-system would have to make do as-is. They did have plans to make it workable . . .

I should install Arcanum and look at my work there -- I haven't looked at that in over a decade. My impression is that there's no way to effectively use the Factions dynamically, which is a shame. But I may find some tricks I used there that can be used here.

Thanks. As an FYI, I'm almost done with the first 'chapter' -- done meaning the major dialog trees are in place, NPCs fleshed out, and dialog options tested (what a ROYAL pain!) and the story state kept track of by four variables and a few individual flags so far. I haven't used a new global flag yet. The first chapter ends with Lareth joining the party. He's gonna be a piece of work to mod without getting tangled in his other 'lifelines', so I figured that's a good place to stop and see if everything is truly in place. I've been very careful about that -- my mod will intertwine seamlessly alongside 8.1.0 NC.

It's what I'm hoping, anyway!

Hommlet will never be the same.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Sounds great! Let us know if you find anything from Arcanum.

5. edmortimer

I'll look at Arcanum after I get this 'chapter' done. I don't want to sidetrack myself -- especially since i jinxed myself by saying I was almost done with this part <sigh> As soon as I got offline I fired up the mod and bang! A glitch I thought I fixed reared it's ugly head again . . . and to make sure I didn't introduce a bug through console use (checking flags, variables) I have to start another runthrough from the beginning . . .:dizzy: But that's ToEE!

Our Host!