chained lightning problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dale5351, Oct 29, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I have been having a problem with the spell chained lightning for some time now. It has gotten bad enough that I've pretty much stopped trying to use the spell.

The problem is that it frequently crashes the game, dropping me out to the usual windows prompt "your program has had an error". It seems to be most frequent when some enemy dies as a result of the spell.

This is really a shame for me, because it is the only mass destruction spell I know of that can be safely cast in a mixed crowd of enemy and friend.

2. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Did you try to target more than 12 creatures? Does it work if you limit it to 12?

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7475
    Unconfirmed
    Chain Lightning crashes the game when cast with more than 12 targets.

3. dale5351

I'm not sure the most I have ever tried, but I first began to notice the problem when fighting the slavers. I'm pretty sure that there are only seven of them.

In any case, as you are targeting you see the 1/x, 2/x, etc. And I know I have not tried to go above that. Not sure if X is 12 or more though.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, this is a bug that has been with us since the beginning. The effects have always been inconsistent though ... some players seem to use it with no problems.

5. dale5351

I had done a search on chained lightning and did not notice the thread that was referenced above. Perhaps that is because the spell is really called "chain lightning":doh:

According to it, CL is limited to 12 hits -- even though it seems to claim more. I suspect that is a problem coming as a result of changing the level limit from 10 to 20. When I try to cast the spell with my level 19 wizard, I get told that I can target 20 people.

Never the less, I swear that the problem started when I was fighting the seven slavers.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you casting it from a wand or from the spell book?

I've only experienced wonkyness when casting from the wand I find in the temple chest.

7. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

I had problems with chain lightning quite often as well. As long as I did not target more than fife opponents it works fine but if I try more targets the game tends to crash. But since the wizard is anyway a little bit overpowerd in the game I consider it as a kind of indirect but welcome self limitation that makes game balance better.;)

8. dale5351

I was casting chain lightning as a spell. I have a wand of CL, but rarely have used it.

9. tom

tom Established Member

I have had a lot of trouble with this too both as a spell and using the wand. Now when i find the wand I just sell it.

How about replacing the wand in the dungeon with a wand of mass command, mass cause serious / critical wounds, mass hold person, or a high power magic missile?

10. sirchet

I've never experienced a problem with the wand in the past, but in 7.5 my rogue just can't seem to roll high enough to use it, she has a UMD of 9 and an INT of 18.

Weird I tell ya!

I've checked the rolls and she seems to be hung up on rolling 1's and 2's. heh heh

11. Legless

Legless Established Member

I don't know if this is relevant, but I'll say it anyway. When I got Skyrim, it kept crashing when using high graphics, eg when attacking the dragons and lots of magic was being thrown about. I recently bought a better graphics card and the problem was that my power supply couldn't cope with the extra juice required by the new graphics card. I upgraded my psu and solved the problem. Previous games (including ToEE) did not have the power requirements of skyrim and so this problem never occured. I only recently dicovered Co8, so never had any modpack installed until I discovered 7.5 NC. Does titivating the game with the modpacks have any bearing on game power requirements?

12. sirchet

Although TOEE is a circa 2003 game, it can still be a resource hog on newer OS's.

I haven't read of any posters stating that it drew more power but I have read of it requiring more from the CPU and GPU.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is true. For some reason, these types of games in general are very resource intensive, and ToEE is probably the least optimized of them all. This poor design or whatever you want to call it can affect even high end modern systems at times (read: Nodes).

There should be no added performance hit from the Co8 modpack, as we don't do anything with the core engine.

14. dale5351

Could it be that the engine comes from DOS based routes (if that is true)? I know that DOS is very bad about giving up time slices to other programs?

15. sirchet

I would think a 2003 engine would not be DOS based, wasn't that more akin to 1995 and before?

Our Host!