Chain Lightning Bug Discussion

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by wizgeorge, Jul 28, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

12 is maximum for chain lightning, wand and spell. Just don't go over 12 and you're okay. It should stop at 12 but I guess the spell py needs some work. Not a big deal, if you can hit 12 at once, that's pretty darn good.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.x + CMF Bug Report Thread

So is the limit a bug, or is the spell supposed to be limited to 12 strikes and 'allowing up to level+1 but crashing on >12' the bug(s)? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the original spell description from D&D as I've never played. On a side note, I suppose Troika would consider it a compliment that their presentation of D&D makes me want to try the real thing. ;) Also, is there a limitation on the distance the secondary bolts can travel? I've noticed that I often can't select all of a group as targets (even when there are no LoS issues) for CL, and sometimes whether I can or not depends on the order in which I select the enemies. While I haven't tested this at all, it seems to be more prevalent with spread out groups. Finally, CL suffers from the same "can't cast with fewer than max targets" bug all multiple, selected target spells have. I assume this has been reported somewhere, but searching for such a vague bug didn't work for me. In case it hasn't, my observations are that it is an intermittent bug, it seems independent of the order targets are selected, clicking the green "cast" circle simply clears the targets rather than casting, and occasionally (seems random) mousing over a wall, door, or location outside the casting range or visible area also causes the target list to clear. I did test (with Analyze Dweomer) that when this happens, selecting the maximum number of targets casts correctly anyway.

One other thing in the vein of maybe-bugs that could simply be incomplete spell descriptions, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, and Cone of Cold all seem to be limited to 10d6 damage, even though nothing in the descriptions indicates caps on their power. If needed, I wouldn't mind fiddling with the rest of the spells to help identify inconsistencies and bugs like that. I recall reading a thread that someone was going to be checking and fixing spell descriptions. I'd volunteer to help, but I can't find that thread now.

Och, sorry about the overlong post. Got carried away a bit.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Such help would be appreciated. Fireball and Lightening Bolt are max 10d6, Cone of Cold should be max 15d6, Chain Lightening max 20d6 and targets one primary target, plus one secondary target/level (each of which must be within 30 ft. of the primary target).

To fire off a spell with less than max targets, try hitting the space bar.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

So, a 10th level wizard would get 1 primary target and 10 secondary targets for a total of 11 at 10d6 damage? It goes to 20d6? Wow.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well yeah, theoretically: worth checking if it is buggy. Things like damage and targets are controled by script, so thats one thing we can fix if it is broken (I hope).

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I thought chain lightning lost 1D6 in damage, per target, after the first with saving throws allowed for all targets for half damage?

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

From d20SRD:

Evocation [Electricity]
    Level: Air 6, Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Targets: One primary target, plus one secondary target/level (each of which must be within 30 ft. of the primary target)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell creates an electrical discharge that begins as a single stroke commencing from your fingertips. Unlike lightning bolt, chain lightning strikes one object or creature initially, then arcs to other targets.

The bolt deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to the primary target. After it strikes, lightning can arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20). The secondary bolts each strike one target and deal half as much damage as the primary one did (rounded down).

Each target can attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage. You choose secondary targets as you like, but they must all be within 30 feet of the primary target, and no target can be struck more than once. You can choose to affect fewer secondary targets than the maximum.
    Focus

A bit of fur; a piece of amber, glass, or a crystal rod; plus one silver pin for each of your caster levels.

So it should not be limited to 12 secondary bolts, and each secondary bolt should do half damage (compared to the primary.)

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Aaah. So either my info is WAAAY outta date or I'm getting that particular spell description confused with another RPG version.

9. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

I wonder if CL actually applies only the single damage roll that description implies or not... Also, just as an observation, from that area restriction, I get the impression that the secondary bolts really ought to all arc out from the primary target rather than the chaining graphics it has now. A 30' from primary limit doesn't make much sense if the chain can theoretically exceed 1000' (rough estimate assuming 20 small creatures arranged as tightly as possible on two equal and opposing arcs on a 30'-radius circle centered on the primary target, the chain crossing back and forth between the arcs) in total distance covered, no? Is that contradicted anywhere except the implications of the spell's name? /newbie overanalysis. No offense intended, mind you. Just something that caught my eye.

10. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

I've noticed that the spell is sometimes "forgetful" regarding your targets if the models are not visible. This happens when/before earth elementals "pop" out of the ground for instance.

-Mike

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

You just made my head hurt reading that. Not cool. :twitch: :poke:

12. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

I shall be taking that as a compliment. :evilgrin:

By the way, Shiningted, if you read this, please check your inbox.

Our Host!