Cerulean the Blue's Modding Frenzy

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Cerulean the Blue, Apr 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Cerulean the Blue, I tested the caravan changes you made. Very nice, but I found an error...

Ground.mes the entry for the day map you renamed from "Caravan" to "Caravan-day" which results in the game looking for the wrong folder for the JPG's (map image), I nearly pulled out my hair trying to figure out what was wrong - Agetian told me to look at the ground.mes.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I have always not had my changes take effect without deleting the .pyc files. I have spent many hours pulling my hair out trying to get a script change to work, only to figure out that I had forgoten to delete the .pyc file. Perhaps it works for you because you use 98 Ted, and haven't joined the 21st Century yet.

[EDIT] I've re-uploaded the Shopmap Changes to fix the dark map problem, and re-number the .py and .dlg files to 337 for Allyx. If you have the old version installed, please download and install the new version, and delete the files numbered 00339 in both your dlg and scr folders. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  3. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Mod testing

You already know about the dark screen, still haven't hit the campground, from the looks of things, that and hill giants ar the only random encounters I've not yet seen so it is but a roll of the dice away.

Off to test Paida and roam about some more will test shop map again.

Doing a little side test with Ted, but so far, I am sticking with interpretive language, compiles on the fly, so if there is not a .pyc it compiles when triggered by the game i.e dialog or some other call. This seems to hold true by file creation times, but I am doing some realtime tests just to see. There could be something in the code to check to see if a newer py file exists I suppose... more later

4. Cerulean the Blue

There should be a one in sixteen chance of hitting the new encounter map on any given random encounter. If your party is high enough level. For some reason my single character party (no NPCs) didn't start getting that map until about 10th level. I can post an altered version that will make it more likely to occur for testing purposes if that would help.

5. Cerulean the Blue

I've wrapped up all the mods in this thread into one package for your convenience. You can download it here.

[EDIT] Updated 4/25/06 at 1:14 am GMT.

Now includes the Paida fix in post 59.
    Changed the dialog and script number for the Shopmap Greeter to be compatible with Allyx's Verbo-mod. If you have installed a previous version (i.e. downloaded before 4/25/06) and update to this one, delete all dialogs and scripts with the phrases 00337Jade_Empress and 00339Jade_Empress in the file name.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  6. rufnredde

Finished with shopkeeper - all works fine, nice twist on attack, One question - after the greeter statement that ends in ...and then some. Player answers 1. What need I do. Typo? Should it read 1. What do I need?

Still working on random encounter - However I have been at the map about five times, from fifth level on and everything is working fine. I know what I said before so I will report the glitch. However I isolatated it and fixed it (didn't touch any of the modifed files) and believe that what I was seeing was specific to my installation on my machine.

The map wasn't drawing correctly, I was getting a flame but no rocks surrounding the campfire. I saved the game everytime this happened and keep the saves. When I reloaded them after I fixed my machine they worked fine.

I had accidently copied some extra directories into my module folder and after I removed them. Everything worked fine including the saves. Sorry if my misleading posts caused you any extra work, didn't see the map for what is was.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  7. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Random Python Knowledge Time

When a .pyc file is created.

Assume we are loading some script boner.py. If there is no .pyc file, then it is created and written after interpreting the .py file (by default). The .pyc file does not run faster, it just loads quicker (it is still platform independent e.g.). The modification time of the version of boner.py used to create boner.pyc is recorded in boner.pyc, and the .pyc file is ignored if these don't match. (The .pyc file will be overwritten if this is the case.)

So I can only come to two (*edit: err, make that 4... :blahblah: ) conclusions:

1. Troika are using some weird flags to mess with the .pyc handling (optimisation flags cause problems e.g.).
    2. Some of our operating systems have stupid dates and times
    3. Some operations in-game do not cause a script to be reinterpreted
    4. (most likely case) Just because a script is reinterpreted does not mean everything is overwritten. For example, if I set x = 4 in script boner.py, execute it, and then delete the x = 4 line and instead write y = 100, I will now have in my global namespace that both x = 4 and y = 100. So in Ted's example with Calmert, he is altering some function, which is being reinterpreted and overwritten. But if you are just reassigning values to variables, or adding new variables, the old stuff isn't just going to go away by itself. That would require a restart of the namespace, which could be linked to a map change, save game load, or even complete program restart.

Sorry I didn't have time for such a wordy reply before. Hope it helps...

8. Cerulean the Blue

The flames with no rocks around them is my fault. I didn't include one of the ground art files in the first version. What is supposed to be happening on that is that if you have an encounter on it at night, your party should show up on the road, and the critters should be gathered around the campfire. This means no instant combat. You can set your party up, sneak up, fireball the hell out of them from a distance, whatever.

It's not working quite right though. I made some changes to it in the "All the mods in this thread so far" version. Try that out. It can go in over the top of the older versions. Though you still may want to look for the 00339Jade_Empress dlg and py files and delete them.

9. rufnredde

I was having some other problems and after clearing out the mods and putting them back, I did download the all in one place and that's when it started working. But after that even the saves worked. Have encountered various monsters no problems, all have been daytime. 9th level now after Paida Testing. So i'll go until tenth to see if I can catch a night encounter.

Had a nightime encounter with three brigands and a brigand leader, right map no campfire at all, brigands where at the bottom left of the map. No problems with the encounter other than that.

Shopmap seems to work fine took 4 parties through, various PC's and alignment.

Paida ran through twice and both times she disappeared on the map change going into the building, blue circle still there and here portrait but no PC in the game. Dialog with Wainwright and poof she's gone nowhere to be found.

Thanks Ugignadl for the Python facts, you put into words what was finding out by testing. By the way the ToEE module is builtin is there anyway to get a copy of it printed or saved.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  10. Cerulean the Blue

There are two Scrub maps. The only difference between the two is that one has a portion of road in the upper right hand corner of the map, the other one doesn't. The one with the road should have the campfire in the lower left hand corner of the map. If you get an encounter at night on that map, your party should appear on the road, and the enemies by the campfire. If this is not the case, let me know. It has worked for me every time since the latest changes.

11. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Not sure exactly what you're asking. But you can get a list of all the bound names in the global namespace by typing dir(). Although that's surely common knowledge. You can also get all bound names inside a namespace by passing that namespace to dir. You should be able to do dir(utilities) for example (if the module utilities is imported as utilities).

As far as a printout of everything goes, that should actually be pretty damn easy. A simple function which recursively travels through the output from dir() would do it. You could also grab all the docstrings from the various functions you encounter. Is that what you're asking for?

I'm 99% sure that someone else did this a very long time ago however. There are heaps of ways to mess about with a python interpreter and the above technique is both basic and common.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.... (hey! it is on-topic....)

*edit: If by `saved' you mean saved to a file, then that is just as easy as printing things out. You just open a file and write to it (like you would in C e.g.) instead of printing. If by `saved' you mean checking out the actual code they wrote, that is also possible (python has a built in compile/decompile module to inspect bytecode and other wotnot).

12. rufnredde

It is the scrub map without the road, mod seems to be working well since that last download. Bottom Line having no problems with random encounters.

New Report to the Random Monster Census Bureau

CtB - Doing as you asked and taking a Census Poll of the area's around Hommlet.

Have had a night encounter it was as you described, Knolls and Bugbears oh my, but I stuck to the road and had my wizard use that handy counting utility with the blue circle.

There was a bunch of 'em, but the were in a ring about the fire so they all just fit.

You may want to look at the counting utility though I clicked the mouse button to close it and it burst into flame.

It could have been spontaeneous combustion I suppose Knolls are known to do that (too much beans and beer), and standing so close to an ignition source.

The Bugbears were so worried about the Knolls just bursting into flame they killed the last one.

Better safe that sorry, then they came after my Wizard, she tried to explain that she was from the local fire brigade, helping with the census, to no avail.

Bugbears aren't that bright, so in the end the census count came out Zero, again.

Face it Mr. Blue these fellows aren't going to pay there taxes anyway, you will have to find another way to build the Cerulean_the_Blue Foundation for the Wayward Children of Hommlet and ToEE Modification.

This more or less completes the Random Encounters and Shopmap parts of the assignment and I am going to try a different approach to the Paida Problem and see if the outcome is any different.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ug, the 'printouts' u r refering to may be the ones done by Darmagon HERE.

14. Cerulean the Blue

I found the problem with Paida fading away but remaining in the party when you enter the Wainwright's house with her in the party. Seems I forgot to add a check to see if she wasn't in the party in that bit of code. It is fixed now.

The file below contains the fix. Just unzip it into your scr folder in your testing mod. The all encompassing download in post 50 has been updated with this fix.

[EDIT] I've changed the script and dialog number for the ShopMap Greeter in the all encompassing download in post 50. A minor change, but was done to make this mod compatible with Allyx's Verbo_mod. No need to re-download it just for that.

Attached Files:

15. rufnredde

Done Paida working, I'm done with testing all is well, everything works.

Our Host!