'Cavern' Story Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuardianAngel82, Feb 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Everyone's got their own approach to this sort of thing, but in general I agree with EtC (GA said it too, I believe). Just go with the flow for a while and then go back and look at it critically later, as opposed to reviewing in little pieces. Then again, you should do it in whatever way you're most comfortable with.

I like to think of it myself as: Step 1. Creative - getting the raw material out; and Step 2. Technical - cleaning it up. I guess Step 3 would be to objectively determine whether it has any asthetic value or not, which you can only do from a distance, i.e, after some time has passed and you're no longer inside of it.

(Sorry for the OT ...)

Don't be so quick to spurn that part of you, EtC. It will bite you that much harder if it ever comes around again.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I still like the work I did 30 years ago. I was intentionally schlocky and over-dramatic. I don't think people read for intellectual stimulation as much as emotional. I think I can stand it because it's not about me. I was trying to figure out why other people acted the way they did. ;)

3. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

OK. We approach a wayhouse, and need a monster or some event with a fight involved.

So give me one, please. There is nothing in my head...

Fairly low level, but reeking of the darkness in the cavern. Maybe no magic by the monster this time. A physical fight, that an old sorceress could win. She could use magic, though. And the raven can fight, like a raven would. Maybe waking her up?

What could it be?

Somebody help, please, even if it is much later after I have written this post.

4. GuardianAngel82

Dire Rat, Worg, Goblinoid, Drow, Orc, Dwarf, Wabid Wombat,...

5. Scryler

Asid from EtC, is there really a Wabid Wombat? :twitch:

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Yes, yes there is. It's a take on the "Rabid Wombat" card from the old Magic (the complete waste of time) the Gathering game which I used to play soooo long ago.

As for an encounter... some sort of mindless undead does come to mind. A leftover zombie would be gouild, the re-animated corpse of the inn keeper/worker/guest.

This is not a result of my love of zombies, per se, it just seemed fitting for your setting.

7. Scryler

Really irked me and sent me right into a panic...working on another part of the story, my internet provider crashes, which happens every so often, and my computer has to be restarted...I didn't save the work. Stupid. But the computer let me restore it, so I didn't lose it, tg.

I've been thinking...I don't think I want to spend time leveling the party up...take way too long and too much space on the thread...plus the sorceress is high level...and the disciples can be fairly developed from the start...there might be only 5 or 6 fights, maybe, on the journey...maybe less...so I think the first monster should be level 6, at least.

So something incorporal maybe? That can use magic? Something that can materialize in the room?

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

In that case, a ghost or spectre would suffice.

Now, if you're a rules stickler, they cannot cast spells but do have some magical type abilities/attacks/effects. Ghosts can age a person with a touch. Sectres can drain life energy.

However, it's YOUR story so YOU can make them do whatecver you wish!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  9. Scryler

You did not address the Wabid Wombat comment...

10. GuardianAngel82

Yes he did. See his post #21. He mentioned Magic the Gathering.

Now, as a women, this is where you roll your eyes, disregard any further thought on the topic for the rest of eternity. :roll:

11. Scryler

Ahhh, gotcha.

I used to sell the cards and had to learn a lot about them to do it...but I've forgotten most of it. I won't roll my eyes.

12. Emirkol the Chaotic

YOU USED TO SELL THEM???!!! :rant::censored:

Do you know much time/money I lost to that stupid game??

Oh, wait. That was a concious decision on my part...

Nevermind.

13. Scryler

I did. I worked part time in a used book store for awhile when I was unemployed from my profession. I still have a few of the spendy ones somewhere.

14. GuardianAngel82

Don't tell my son.;)

15. Scryler

Ok. Wrote my first fight scene. Not too bad, I hope. Opinions are welcome.

I jumped ahead, yesterday I think it was, and have written about something coming up, but first I have to get the sorceress to the place where it occurs, next task.

Our Host!