Can't loot corpses?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lokster, Dec 20, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. lokster

lokster Member

Um, so I had the CTD problem with the new co8 patch and a new party, until I patched the buggy start_equip.mes file, and restarted my party. I went out the moathouse, and started cleaning up...but I can't loot any corpses! I could pick the lockpicks off the ground outside the main doors, but when I click on the highlight of a body, the "loot" window doesn't come up, and my party member doesn't even move over to the body. Anyone know WTF is going on?

2. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

That sounds like the looting bug. There are lots of posts about it here. I thought the co8 patch was supposed to bundle Moebius's temple.dll, but maybe it doesn't, or maybe you've got an old version, or who knows. Anyway, the Moebius fix works for most people (cause is incompatibility with directx9.0c that is includedin service pack 2). You should find a link to that around here somewhere.

3. Lord Plothos

Found it.

http://www.jadri.com/temple.zip

Just replace your temple.dll file with his. Then, make sure you put all the stuff in the data foler of the .zip into the data folder of your ToEE directory.

4. Tazira

Tazira Member

Ok, I am a serious newbie in the Game...I loved the Greyhawk novels, and decided to try the game. Normally I play games like Myst:Exile and this is my first try at D & D style games.

I reloaded Direct X 9.0c like they said to do, and I still am unable to loot corpses. I read something else about some co8 patches or Atari patches...do those fix the problem or is it a waste of time to download them?

This is frustrating...and "I demand financial rewards for acts of homicide!" (to quote Escalla in the White Plume Mountain,Greyhawk series) :roll:

Anyway, help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Tazira

5. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

The co8 patch and the moebius2778 dll fix are well worth getting, they not only fix the looting problem but many other bugs as well. Make sure to take a look at the readme as some of the changes are not really bug related but in my opinion add loads to the game (all masterwork weapons available, higher levels, zhuge's burnes puzzles mod, etc.)

6. Tazira

Tazira Member

Ok, now, because I am unfamiliar with these games, where exactly do I find my TOEE.dll file...I am computer literate, but, not a genius (obviously... :eek: )
    I found files like: module, data, save, music...(and I can't remember the rest off the top of my head.) AND, do I need to do these patches on both of my computers... I am running two seperate games with different line ups for characters...the one computer is Windows XP and the other is Windows NT (2000) Professional Edition...

Pretend I'm a dimwit... :blush: And I appreciate the help. If you need to do this another way, I have a posted email address in my profile and the information can be sent there so that I don't bog down this part of the forum.

Thanks for the help :)
    Tazira ???

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  7. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

The first thing to do is install the official patch 2 from the atari site

http://www.atari.com/us/support/new...entalevil.php?browser=1&pageDisplay=DOWNLOADS

Then CO8 3.0.4., and moebius2778 temple.dll, there are links to both here.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432153

Install the co8 patch first, then drop the temple.zip file into your main toee directory,use "extract here" or open the zip and drop the files into the folder. Let it copy over the other files (you might want to backup the old temple.dll file). The main directory should have the data, miles and modules folder in it.

The co8 patch and temple.dll fix more than just the looting problem and add some nice features besides, I would definitely install them on both systems. I hope this helps.

8. Lord Plothos

"Ok, now, because I am unfamiliar with these games, where exactly do I find my TOEE.dll file..."

I'm not sure there is a ToEE.dll file. The file you replace with the Moebius patch is temple.dll, which sould be in the "c:/program files/atari/temple of elemental evil" directory. The folders and files in the data folder contained in the zip can just be dragged to the data folder in that same game directory. After that, the patch is installed, and the game should run just fine.

Many like the co8 patch too, but you don't need it to fix the looting problem, and I find it alters a bit too much for my tastes. Maybe I'll try it on my next playthrough.

"AND, do I need to do these patches on both of my computers... I am running two seperate games with different line ups for characters...the one computer is Windows XP and the other is Windows NT (2000) Professional Edition..."

Any computer with the game installed will need to be patched, to get the effects of the patch. You haven't changed anything on the disc, after all. However, I'm not sure if the NT computer will have the looting problem to begin with, because this problem apparently stems from the windows XP service pack 2 use of directx9.0c. (If this technical stuff doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry). If it does have the looting problem, that probably means you have directx9.0c installed on it somehow. So I would GUESS that these patches will work fine to fix it there too. However, that's not guaranteed, as far as anything I myself know. The fix may only work on the XP computer.

"Pretend I'm a dimwit... And I appreciate the help. If you need to do this another way, I have a posted email address in my profile and the information can be sent there so that I don't bog down this part of the forum."

You're by no means a dimwit, and don't worry about bogging down anything. The whole point of these forums is really to help each other out. Let us know the instant you have any more troubles!

9. Lord Plothos

Oh, and if you're not finding the temple.dll file, that's probably because you haven't installed the official attari patches yet. Btw, you only need to apply patch 2, since it includes the changes made in patch 1 (but you can still apply 2 with no problem after applying 1 - you just don't need to do 1 first). I think that pre-patch, there is no temple.dll. That may be why you're not finding anything.
    Sorry for any confusion. I had assumed you applied the official patches. Do that first. They're easy: you get a .exe file that installs itself with one double-click.

10. Tazira

Tazira Member

Thank You for all the help!!! :thumbsup: I'm going to download the Atari Patch now (and heed your advice about the co8 patch changing quite a bit in the game...I'm too new to need those changes I think.)

Then I'm going to go back to my game and see if I can finally get my financial rewards :cool:

I'll let you know how it works...

Once again, thanks a bunch!

Tazira :[

EDIT: Arrrrrggggh!!!!!! Now that the Patch is in, I can't adjust the gamma, etc. on my Video Card! (Or rather I can adjust it, but, it doesn't work for the game...and the gamma in the game options doesn't go bright enough for this monitor.) This monitor has an issue when you play games...the brightness, contrast etc is fine for cruising online...but, when you play a game it's too dark and the only way to fix this issue is to temporarily boost up the numbers on the graphics/video card...now, with the patch that boost doesn't hold when I start the game...any ideas??? :\

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  11. Lord Plothos

Have you tried pressing the little windows key on your keyboard to call up the desktop? Maybe you can change the setting for your card while the game is running. The problem may just be that it resets your card when the game starts up, and won't do anything after start-up.

12. Tazira

Tazira Member

Actually I spent most of the morning putzing with it...and finally, (duh!) went to the Atari site and went to their technical support section...they suggested checking for updates on my video card driver...I checked, there was one, and installed it...It now works...but, not before I reinstalled TOEE and had to redo my characters and everything!!! Fortunately it was a fairly new game and I'd only completed a couple of the easier quests...I also remember what I did with my characters and what their stats were.

Thanks for the help, I can't wait to see if the looting function finally works...I'm going to play now for a bit and see how this turns out

Tazira

13. Tazira

Tazira Member

OK...I installed both patches... Now, I'm getting a TOEE.EXE error everytime I quit the game.

As far as looting goes, can anything be looted? (I.E Spiders, zombies, lizards...etc.) If they can, I still don't get the looting screen.

And, do these patches effect the ability to transfer items like gems and stuff from NPC's to the regular character party during the bartering screens, because, I can't seem to do that anymore either... ???

I still appreciate all the information and help!

14. Lord Plothos

Did you apply the Moebius temple.zip patch? Sounds like either you didn't or didn't do it correctly.
    The Atari patches don't do anything about the looting but or the crash on exit, but the .zip fixed both these problems for me.
    Yes, you should be able to loot any corpse there is, even if they don't have anything on them.

15. Lord Plothos

Oh, and the NPCs not giving you stuff isn't a bug or anything. They loot and it belongs to them. It's their share for their "help". This is why I never use NPCs. Elmo is a good one, though. He'll only take a small amount of coins, no items or gems or anything.
    The Moebius patch doesn't change this. Don't know about the co8 patch. I doubt it.

Our Host!