Canon Thaddeus

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hal900x, Apr 21, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but where is Canon Thaddeus? I have the quest to snuff him, and have scoured Welkwood Bog without finding him. I assumed he would be with a party and not that hidden. I hope I'm wrong because otherwise I'm going to feel stupid for missing him.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

He and his entourage are on the first Welkwood Bog map ('Welkwood Woods'). They appear there after you've been given word by the Hextor Priest under the ruined church that the job is a go. You have to wait at least two days from when you originally took the job for them to arrange it. Have you spoken to him for confirmation?

3. Fengell Ilphunodel

Fengell Ilphunodel Member

Botching evil quests?

My party is NG with a paladin, but I have accepted the "Contract on Canon Thaddeus" and "Robbery at the Hostel" quests and I'd like to know, how can I botch them (or complete them without becoming evil).

4. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Your alignment won't change no matter what you do. And I believe those two quests won't affect your public reputations, as they are both carried out in secret. Only you and the SB will know how evil you really are, despite your NG front. As far as I know, the only affect evil acts will have directly on your characters is on Paladins, who will become fallen and must atone. I expect both quests can be botched by simply not completing them. You can also botch the diamond theft by keeping the diamond. I don't know of any way to fool the SB into thinking you've completed the quests when you haven't (Thaddeus and the Dwarf being seen breathing make that pretty difficult, I imagine).

5. Fengell Ilphunodel

Fengell Ilphunodel Member

Any idea, how long it takes to get them botched? I don't mind waiting/resting until I get them botched.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Currently those quests can't be botched through inaction. Robbery at the Hostel can be botched by not turning over the diamond, and Contract on Canon Thaddeus can't be botched at all.

In the next release you will be able to botch them by narcing on the SB and Hextorites respectively.

7. Kapacha2089

Kapacha2089 Member

It was mentioned that "the Contract on Canon Thaddeus can't be botched, but will be able to be botch by narcing on the SB and Hextorites." This is a super long shot suggestion and SPOILER ALERT, have the contract on Canon Thaddeus be botched after the assassination has been completed by the party where selling a specific item from Canon Thaddeus's belongings in Verbobonc's Merchant Row, which triggers an alternate scenario similar to "selling Lareth's plate boots" in Hommlet. The alternate scenario would trigger a possible random encounter of the following: An item from Canon Thaddeus, is sold to a merchant in Verbobonc's Merchant Row. After a few days of the Canon Thaddeus's assassination and his brother Canon Ramnes of the Church of Pelor of Verbobonc is notified of his passing. The Verbobonc Constabulary is notified, along with the City of Narwell & Canon Ramnes of the Church of New Pelor of Verbobonc that an item belonging to Canon Thaddeus was sold recently in the Merchant Row in Verbobonc. A warrant is issued to seek out and capture these murderers, if all else is failed, then LETHAL force may be used. The force would be equivalent to the same size that was included in the original Canon Thaddeus's entourage with few exceptions that may or may not include the following personnel: Canon Ramses of the Church of New Pelor of Verbobonc, the overseers of Lord Viscount Wilfrick or the entire "triplets" group, a combined force of Verbobonc & Narwell Elite guards and possibly specialty spellcasters from the Merchant Row of Verbobonc. The speciality spellcaster who sell goods to the PCs in the Merchant Row such as the owner of the Bazaar of Bizarre, Simon's shop or the alchemist next door to Simon's shop.

Our Host!