Can NPCs be added?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, May 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

"Originally Posted by cameltoecrusade"

Blue, you ornery @#$&*!@#, STOP that!

<begins constructing yet another foil hat...>

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Spike, I missed that first time past :icon_chuc

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Hey spike you know foil hats are a govenment conpiracy, they actually ampify your brainwaves and make them easyer for the satelites to pick up.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

True. Then the satellites relay the signals to the EOBIPS (Earth Orbit Brainwave Intercept Processing System) for filing and triangulation. It's just a matter of time before they locate you.

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Plus, foil hats are shiny, too. This means they can more easily spot [find] you using satellite telescopic lenses and omnidirectional microphones [and more readily spy on you] that are 22,500 miles in orbit about the Earth and keeping a watchful eye.

6. Lord_Spike

Okay...

So - the foil will be covered by a dark, soft, non reflective cloth (felt, perhaps) interlaced with copper threads to defeat the wave amplification effect & disperse the signal.

All fixed...co8 elite members can have this design for free....every one else owes me $0.25.

:twitch:

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

just make a beanie it might work better, check this out

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

The Obvious reason for druids to "keep the balance" is because humans can't seem to do it on their own without some guidance/help. You don't see all the bears in the woods heading to the local stream and eating all the salmon there one year, then having to move on to a new stream cause there are no salmon there the next year. There is (and though I loathe druids) a "natural force" that maintains a balance in the world. Humans are the only people who are not "in tune with it" apparently. Or some of us at least.

Honestly, I am not one for defending the tree hugging hippies and nature conservation freaks out there, but I can only imagine the state of the world if we didn't have someone out there fighting to save / preserve things. As it stands, we'd have it all mowed down and turned into malls by now. As far as the alignment goes, you can't have extreme alignment types running around trying to belong to an order that is set in place to maintain balance and the status quo. I think that the druids alignment requirement of neutral is a perfect fit, a voice of reasoning and a tie in to the "natural force" out there maintaining the balance.

Of course, I am not speaking from much experience here from the druidic standpoint, as in all my years of playing I have only played a druid character once, and didn't much enjoy it. I did enjoy my ravenous pet squirrel though.

As for the clerics, I think an npc cleric of Pelor would be great. According to the rulebook, Pelor is the most commonly worship good aligned deity among humans, while I imagine that St. Cuthbert is second to him, and maybe a bit farther down the "popular" scale, except maybe among the dirt poor (which does represent a large number of people in a fantasy type setting, however.) I happen to like St. Cuthbert as a deity. His strict adherance to the law and no nonsense approach to bashing in the heads of evildoers fits my personality type very well. His representatives in game might leave a bad taste in your mouth, but I have played many clerics of his persuasion that were much cooler. Still, I think an npc cleric of Pelor would be better and more appropriate.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  9. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Cujo, you brought up the idea of Cavanaugh as a joinable cleric of St. Cuthbert. I think it's a great idea, but honestly, I think Erliter would make a better choice. Once beggared, Cavanaugh turns on St. Cuthbert, joins the Old Faith, and gets progressively drunker the more money you give him. Erilter, on the other hand, continues to worship Cuthbert despite being beggared. Furthermore, it seems that Cavanaugh becomes a beggar through his own choices, but Erliter becomes a beggar through the player's deliberate lie to him. Since St. Cuthbert is the god of law and retribution, this opens up some opportunities for good roleplay.

Is this something you were considering working on, or are you just tossing out ideas here? If not, it's something I'd like to try my hand at. I don't know if my scripting skills are up to the task, but the best way to learn is by doing.

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Thinking about but not doing anything about yet, if you want to pick up that torch its fine with me - I just wanted a cleric in hommlet you could hire...

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

2 cents . . . shouldn't a cleric by definition be someone who has advanced a ways in the service of his deity? I would think these recent converts would be powerless nobodies (acolytes?) assigned to mopping out the stables until they got their first deity bead or whatever. ;)

12. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Absolutely! I plan to make a quest out of getting Erliter to join, approximately on par with the difficulty of getting Meleny to join, as part of St. Cuthbert's retribution for you lying to Erliter in the first place. During your efforts, it would be assumed (or perhaps made clear in the dialogue) that Erliter is undergoing some training to become a first level cleric, since the game engine does not appear to support 0 level human NPCs.

13. Lord_Spike

I wonder if this could be scripted in such a way as to have his feats added once there is a task completed and/or XP gained to simulate him getting his first level? So that it just seemed like he was 0-level?

BTW, in our PnP sessions, Calmert was often recruited...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well you could have him do a darley and get destroyed and replaced with a different model, bigger, stronger, better looking, actual class...

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll second that, seems the most sensible way to do it.

Our Host!