Can NPCs be added?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, May 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

first of all, the whole balance thing is a load of crock. I thought nature was uncaring? why does it need sheperons who "keep the balance"?
    Druids should not be neutral, and should not care a whiff about balance.

And as for the harry potter reference... HELL NO!
    The thought havent even crossed my mind. Trust me, I was into fantasy before the first harry potter book came out, and its hardly the kind of magic school I will like to have.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Pc/npc...

...just roll up whatever you want & take them along in your party. Why go to all the trouble of modding one into the church or grove when you can create one of your own? Does away with all of the needing & not having, as well as looting issues.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Aye, I can't see the point in adding an NPC cleric. What does it add to the game? Without the 'soundbites' it would essentially just be a sub-standard PC anyway.

I can see a need for an evil character able to raise dead for an evil party but that wouldn't have to be a playable character.

4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I am willing to voice this NPC.

-EE

5. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

If *you* don't see perfect balance in nature, that doesn't mean it isn't there. :roll:

As for new NPC. One of the coolest things in BG were npc romances, interactions, party banter, npc specific quests.
    Liveless PC character can never replace that.
    Such things can make a mediocre singleplayer game into a top one. Not so important if game is multiplayer oriented, but that isn't the case with TOEE.

if it can be done, it would be great.

Btw voiceover (or lack of it) is not the most important thing. Far from it.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Y'all kind of missed the point; I just don't see the need to add an NPC cleric for a good party. It really doesn't add anything to the game IMHO. *shrug* New characters for quests etc. sure thing, and I'll playtest for hours and give you the feedback; but adding in an NPC cleric for a good party with all the known drawbacks and not even the sole advantage of the banter, really adds nothing.

As his lordship said, why not roll your own and use the NPCs already in the game?

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah thats what i enjoyed the most about BG and wish we had here the npc's just starting up conversations at certain times sometimes starting a quest or helping one along and the romance. ah well maybe in the future we will be able to add it

8. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Yes, I agree... and this is possible in my 2.0 mod

- Livonya

9. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I totaly agree. I almost went back to BG and just lifted one of the romances out to put it into TOEE.

It would be really easy to do actually. It would only take time.

I did some modding of BG and the dialog system was similar to what is done in TOEE... the only real bummer would be the lack of voices... new dialog is always good, but it is never as interesting as when their are voice actors involved.

I have been adding more NPC interaction, but it does take time.

I have several instance now where NPCs can help with quests or with certain situations, and I have them adding their opinions here and there...

The hard thing is there are nearly 40 NPCs that can join your party in TOEE.

I am trying to get something unique and special with each NPC. I have special events for 15 of them now... some were done by Troika but were broken due to a math error and scripting erros, others are completly my invention... I also got some info about the original module and added some flavor from that to the NPCs.

It is a drop in the bucket with what could be done, but it is there slowly.

- Livonya

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Voices, voices, voices...

Is it possible to add voices? Its just mp3's as far as i can tell. I mean sure, people shouldn't all go impersonating Elmo into the nearest mike (scary idea) but is it possible?

(ToEE Elmo-modding in Scotland:
    "Och lassie, I canna swing the axe until ya gimme a wee dram o' courage...")

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  11. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Yeah, that would be cool. I was thinking of adding a few vikings to the Welcome Wench who sit in a corner and sing "Spam, spam, spam, lovely spam!"!

(For those who don't get the joke: http://home.triad.rr.com/spamchef/spamskit.htm)

12. Shiningted

That is just SO wrong, thats its actually right! :-D

13. stormbard

stormbard Member

I actually agree mate, nature goes along without us sentient beings just fine, it just needs us to correct the frightful wrongs we do ourselves. Where druids stand in this I cannot say, for they are both sentient and of nature.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's certainly possible to replace voices, but before we can add voices, someone needs to figure out how audio is handled in ToEE. As far as I know, no one has ever identified a protocol for assigning audio events. I've never been able to find a file that handles this sort of thing in the dats. There are of course the mp3s themselves, and lists saying what the mp3s are . . . but no commands that say "Play audio file X when event Y occurs."

Interestingly, the PCs and NPCs have quite a wide variety of dialogues that never occur in the game, such as battle cries, answers in the negative ("10-2, radio." ;) ), and lamentations for the dead. All we ever get is encumbrance bitching and "Right away!" acknowledgements.

15. Shiningted

So my plan to add 'Stones' as background music to my mod is in disarray??

<sigh>

Editted to add something slightly more constructive, but it was redundant. I stand by my original comment.

<sigh>

Last edited: May 11, 2005
Our Host!