Bug or 'Feature'?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ravenot, Nov 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

A pure Fighter level 6 would have 2 attacks. And with one of Improved Unarmed and Combat Reflexes he will win presuming he has decent Str & Con. A Fighter 4/Rogue 1 has only 4 BAB, although if he had both the Feats above he would effectively make up the extra attack from AoOs and have a fighting chance.

2. darkfeld01

darkfeld01 Ancient Lurker

For the fight with Tolub i used my Barbarian and moved after each attack forcing Tolub to come to me and get only one attack. With a fifth level Barbarian raging i was able to beat him done good.

I thought this might be cheating at first but i chalked it up to fighting like a boxer and using footwork.

Tolub didn't call me a cheater so i guess everything is legit.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's what I do in karate: Displace, then attack as they're moving. Works well as a military tactic, too. Attack while they are moving. Requires good timing in real time, though.

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Glad to hear it.

I'd rather not see it done. The game plays well through out most of it, IMO, with some fights harder and some easier, which is something you see in PNP as well. While the difficulty varies, the pace of leveling doesn't feel off. I can't think of any stretches where it feels like my party is advancing too fast, or where it feels like too much of a slog between levels (barring a lot of crafting, which is up to the player anyway.)

The main complaints seem to be about the end game, which I agree could use some tweaking.

That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it, and looks like it's pretty easy to do according to the thread.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The Tolub fight screws up (more than usual) if you have already brawled with Jayfie. Thats being fixed as Gaear said.
    Cloudkill is Co8? Heh... I'll take a look at these (I am working on spells atm) but if the effect is on the area-effect-critter not the target, then I don't know there is much we can do.

EDIT: Hezrou stench fixed for the necklace.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The general feedback of late has also been that temple level 2 starts to sag and sags into level 3. This can apparently be accounted for by the custom Co8 material that remains (major expansions have been temporarily disabled) and possibly your proto overhaul. Sitra Achara had a pretty good detail of a vanilla progression vs. the latest modpack (in the blance thread I believe), which shows the bulges and discrepancies.

7. Kalshane

Well, my overhaul should have made some of the fights more difficult by nature of the monsters actually having abilities that make sense. :) But yeah, it did boost some XP awards to what they should have been.

Honestly, I'm willing to concede the XP reduction at this point. My whole purpose in doing the overhaul was to 1) make things closer to RAW 2) make the monsters actually make sense ability/level/equipment-wise 3) make the XP awards consistent for the challenge offered. (Of course, one could argue for days about the Challenge Rating system in 3.0/3.5 and how balanced it actually is) so if reducing the XP awards over all needs to be done to account for the fact some monsters give more XP than they used to, I'm okay with that.

My only concern is it may make things too challenging for folks that haven't played the game through umpteen times and know how to make optimal choices with their characters. For every 5 people complaining about certain fights being too easy, there's another complaining about other fights being way too hard. :)

I'm actually planning on starting a new game with point-buy only characters, no reloads unless 2 or more characters die in the same battle and maybe a couple other things and see how challenging the game is with a balanced party and limited use of the magical reset button.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's a very good point. I think we tend to come too much from the veteran player perspective.

But you've given me an idea; :) stand by while I check with the Agetain ...

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Is that the XP-slider idea? I think it's about time we implemented that, precisely because of what Kalshane mentioned.

10. Kalshane

Yeah. Granted, the game is 6 years old at this point. (Which boggles the mind) so there's not a lot of new players any more, but they still wander in here occasionally it seems.

Glad to be of service.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Huh? I'm pretty positive Cloudkill was around in the vanilla game.

Our Host!