Brother Smyth Masterwork Problems

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Jul 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I have the 5.0.0 mod, and I have just obtained the giant head. I go to Bro Smyth for masterwork weapons, give him the head and he allows me to see the goods. But I get none. I get the menu he shows you everytime you ask to barter, but the longstanding menu of masterwork goods (added at a much earlier mod) is gone.

Now, I know I can console the items, no big deal, but is this a sign of things to come, or is it a simple fix? I get NO masterwork menu, none. This is a problem as my party design is counting on getting the menu. You cannot find a masterwork Dwarven Waraxe elsewhere. As I said, you can console it, but I would rather not. Any ideas?

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

If you had paid attention to what Brother Smyth said when you gave him the head, you would have noted he said to come back in a day and he will have the masterwork stuff out on display. Come back in 24 hours (without talking to him in the mean time) and all the masterwork stuff will be in his normal trading screen.

The masterwork items are no longer available from a dialog menu. They show up in his normal shop inventory.

3. blackfly

In fact, I went to the inn to rest and stayed 13 days and went back, and nothing. I had to leave Hommlet and then travel back for them to show up. I did not see any bows of yet, and I am especially concerned about getting a composite bow.

I agree my post may of been in haste, but I was assuming that 13 days should of been enough.

Are the items available random, or is there a set pattern. With the previous aforementioned menu, one could plan on anything knowing it was available. Or do only the most common items show up (axes, swords, maces....)? In previous games pre mods I was dismayed to find one could choose a Dwarven Waraxe only to find none were available to magic.

Otherwise, the 5.0.0 mod is very enjoyable. I lood forward to the ambush, whenever that is.

The greatest fun is in the suprise, so don't tell us any.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Curious. I've had it work just by resting 1 day in the inn. I'm going to have to investigate that further.

I believe Shiningted put all the items that were available from the dialog menu into the blacksmiths new shop inventory, with no randomness involved, but you would have to ask him to be sure.

5. blackfly

Thank you. Essentially, with the previous form, it was like a restaurant menu, and that allowed for infinite choice on character profiles. I myself build parties on not only characters but the weapons they will wield, and why so. If finding the rarer weapons to magic is hard or impossible, I would like to know. I realize anyone can console it, but I would rather earn it.

Thanks for everything CB, and all the other modders.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ouch! No I haven't - the masterwork and composite bows (and other wooden stuff) are going in the inventory of the cabinet-maker, and that bit hasn't been done because of the respawning issues we encountered. Sorry: thats now the very top of my to-do list, will get on it within 24 hours.

7. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

ShiningTed, could you also check the leather worker? I noticed that the only masterwork item that shows up in his list after the giant's head quest is a suit of masterwork studded leather.

8. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

he's got that from the start, would be nice to have more though.

9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Talk to Bing after he's been healed.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

There is a trader in Verbobonc who sells masterwork composite bows, and a huge selection of other masterwork stuff too (in my last run though he seemed to respawn his inventory just fine), but of course you have to rescue him first.

I also noticed that Bing doesn't give a good price for leather goods, he should, beling a leather worker and all. It just seems strange that Jakk will pay nearly 10 gold for leather armor, but Bing will only give 3 gold for the same item.

11. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Perhaps some evil cleric noticed this, too. Curses on those who try to cheat the followers of Hextor.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

He should - I'll check that Al.

13. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

Hey Ted... I was able to get Bing to sell masterwork items like you had noted. Thanks for the input. However, I did notice that there was one masterwork item that I would have thought that he would have had but didn't. He had plenty of armor and such, but no masterwork slings. Is this by design or an oversight?

Also, can someone check the woodcutter? I've completed Ami's quest and moved on with other things (I'm in Nulb now) and each time that I come back to the wood cutter about his "friend" with the goods to sell, I get a line that basically tells me "not yet". Is there another trigger that I'm missing?

Thanks.

-Noran

PS - I have the 5.0.0 final with the July 17th update (looks like it's mostly dialog).

14. Cerulean the Blue

First. get the latest update. Prior to July 19 it had a Co8.py that was out of date and could cause problems.

The woodcutter is a problem. Ever since Liv introduced that particular story line, the "reward" has not always shown up. You are not missing anything. Sometimes it just never shows up. We are working on that.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

[EDIT] in response to the woodcutter shop invitation..

I have had a party go out and adventure for over 30 days in game time before the dialogue shop option became available to buy stuff.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
Our Host!