Brother Smyth Chest w/o thief

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Osaka, Sep 19, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I thought it just removed the misc negative by not having an armor check penalty.

2. Lava

Lava Established Member

I haven't found any penalties coming from that shield yet. No skill penalty, no armor check, etc.
    It can be used perfectly by those with no shield prof.

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Yeah, that is one of the cool things about those shields. Gives your spell casters an extra +2 to AC. Even more when you enhance it. :)

4. Osaka

Osaka Member

I wonder if a Dwarf could use it, realistically the shield would be nearly as tall as him; but the game doesn't always abide by all the rules of logic in some instances. The elven shields are pretty nice, you'll get a few of any of the drow's that you encounter; and have gotten them from a few monsters inside the temple. Nice thing is that they're very light so you could give them to spellcasters if you wanted to use a feat for shield proficiency, they won't cause any encumbrance from the light weight making them perfect for magic users.

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I believe I was able to give my halfling druid it in an earlier release, so if they have not changed things, then a dwarf should be able to use the shield. I THINK the game may adjust the size per the character's race, so it is a tower shield based on the dwarf's height.

Also remember that the carpenter will make elven shields once you clear the delko woods and let him know that he can now make masterwork stuff. :)

No need to wait on the Drow.

6. Lava

Lava Established Member

I've tested it and repeatedly watched the dice rolls, and yes, the elven shields are giving a +1 to lock picking, but have no penalties of their own. ;) *I'm trying to picture the shield giving a boost to lock picking. ;) *

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well them sneaky elves may use their magic to make the lock tumblers click more. :)

Either that or you use the shield to bash the lock to click open. (Kinda how you bang the machine to start working) hehe :)

8. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

So what happened to the shield? After successfully picking the lock I get "a few old coins, this old book, and this old horn." I can only presume I got the coinage as the only thing I did get was the horn. I did not get an old book and no shield was mentioned.

9. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

youv'e only just begun Spider, drag the book down to the use item area on your inventory screen just like how you read Lareth's journel and then you will go to the arena and "compete" for the shield.

10. sirchet

OH, I wish I was going to the arena for the first time. :)

11. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

As I said, all I got was the horn. I don't know if I got any coinage, but I definitely know I did not get a book. I'm playing 7.3. Amazingly, this rendition of Circle of Eight runs almost flawlessly with the caveat being an occasional exit to the desktop. I can live with that!!! I had more problems with my old computer (Win XP Pro). Kudos to the gang for all their work!!!

12. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

Hmm..I have never had an issue where I didn't get the book, maybe go back to the save before opening the chest if you have one and try again. searched the forum to see if there was any other posting where someone did not get the book I could direct you to and didn't see it so that seems to be an pretty exclusive issue with your current game maybe a corrupt file.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are you using the NC version?

14. sirchet

Was your inventory full at the time.

I believe the book will just be placed on the ground when you have no room in your inventory.

I would look around maybe press the "TAB" key to see if any book like objects are high-lited on the ground near where the chest was.

15. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Nice to see the Co8 site is still so active. I'm going to use this one posting to address several issues. I'm sure that all of them have been covered in other postings, so please accept my apologies if they are duplications.

To answer Gaear's question I'm using 7.3.0. I try to stay with the Plain Jane versions and I probably messed up not going with the NC rendition. To be honest the versions numbers confuse this old gamer.

As for Shape Charge's comment I've moved on and presently I'm playing the Earth Temple and basically have it finished. I just hope that by not having the book I'm not going to miss any hooks into other areas later on in the game. I may go back to scratch.

I completed the Moathouse and Emridy Meadows and picked up Burne and Rufus for the Temple. I have not done the Frog King as each time I went to do so, sans Burne and Rufus, I got my head handed to me on a rotten log.

Speaking of which, I got Rufus to go up a level and the minute I exited the Temple off he went to Verbonoc. I hope that doesn't mess up the game.

Addressing Sir Chet's comments, I do not recall. But your comment about the items possibly ending up on the ground raises an observation about the Extraplanar Chest. First, I'd gladly buy the crafter a cup of coffee, or whatever he drinks, for one of the best items in the game. Secondly, as Basil the Timid commented here, I get some weird effects.

I'm getting issues wherein I go into a big battle, wipe 'em out and load the chest up with loot. Then all of a sudden, apparently after exiting out of the inventory screen, there will be some of the loot I just put in the chest lying on the ground. The other issue is that I was putting a lot of jewelry and gems into the chest only to notice much later that it had all disappeared. I know darn tooting I put Lareth's Diary in it, only to have it disappear as well. Now I'm being more careful.

In closing, two items. As I said earlier, it is nice to see that the community is still out there and doing what it does best. You don't know how glad I am that the game loaded and runs on the new awesome computer!!! I remember having problems on Win XP Pro 32-bit at times. So far I've had no problems using Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Lastly, would it be permissible Gaear to send you a private message? I want to approach you about something and while I don't have the platinum to help support the site (I will share a little out of my Bag of Holding) I do have certain other abilities. I don't know if you recall, it was two years ago now, but I created two books from some the ToEE Front End X (ver 2.2a) and Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.0 NC. I sent them along at the time but never did see them posted to the forum. I would like to discuss privately in regular e-mails some thoughts.

Thank you once again gents for a great site!

Cordially,
    Spider Dwarf

Our Host!