Best weapons and build towards max those weapons

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by veryfinemale, Jul 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The sword you are given as a reward is a magnificent copy of Fragrach, it's called Scather.

In order to have both swords you would have to relieve the noble prince of his sword which is the original, how you go about this is up to you ... If you just kill him and take it I doubt anyone will reward you for his rescue though.

2. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

if that is so, it must be a toee thing, for I cannot find anything in the original rules to support this. I do admit I have not looked at any errata, so I guess it could be in one of those.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Have anyone tested this using a Darkwood Buckler?

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I may have confused losing the 1.5 strength bonus with the -1 to hit penalty listed in the SRD. It's still worth testing, though. I'd do it myself, but my main computer is still in transit to where I am. No TOEE for me until it gets here,

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The following rules difference between the D&D 3.5 edition role-playing game and this computer game is stated in the game guide sticky thread:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

It's arguable that a CG great-cleaving max power attacking etc character using either Frag or Scather should have as poor an AC as possible (since any hit is 'answered', setting off another round of cleaving attacks..). Being Enlarged helps with this, and also improves your reach. Just need some way of keeping the HP up: a good CON score obviously, and layers of stoneskins and lots of potions of Heal if you can find them.

I have to say though, having either of these swords unbalances the game to the extent that it becomes a bit dull. How optimised do you have to be if you always hit and can do +20 damage at 10th level with Power Attack with each hit?

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you're facing Iuz, you need to be plenty optimized. Nothing else compares to him (except Cuthbert, so I hear).

8. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I must admit that I have got fed up with Scather, and I am also going off crafting too. Whilst it's fun cutting everything up for a while, the difficulty curve gets so easy that I soon get a bit bored. I think I like best using what I find, with some very limited crafting going on - usually the odd wondrous item or improving some bows. Still, I do occassionally go for the slaughter everyone approach of Scather and max crafting, and it can be good for a session when thought is not required!

Anyway, if you're taking in a good aligned party, you can find decent longswords, heavy mace, Ranseur, daggers, greatswords, bastard sword, warhammer, repeating crossbow, light maces, and probably some others. If you're playing evil, the list is pretty similar (no ransuer, but a double axe instead) but I don't play evil enough to remember all of them.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Even with all the bonuses, the new random target scripting Gaear implemented for the Iuz avatars has generally meant the character I have wielding Scather is still only worth one avatar. No PC can take that kind of punishment for long. The answering ability just means the avatar taking down the PC goes down too, leaving three to be dealt with by everybody else.

10. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Okay, fair enough if you're hunting demigods it's good to have Scather in your backpack- though even then you basically want power attack and strength/ haste buffs. Improved critical too perhaps.

Our Host!