best weapon for a NG half orc Barb2/Fighter4

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by birdman, May 25, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. birdman

birdman Member

So my tank is a HOrc Barb2/Fighter4 and I was thinking of giving him a polearm since I never really use them and was just going to see how it goes. I have the masterwork option from Brother Smythe and can buy stuff in Nulb. I just got him a Halberd to see how it is before i purchase a Master version. Is there a better weapon with reach than the halberd. right now, after a few fights, the halberd damage, while stating it does 1-10, is averaging around 6ish. is there a better reach weapon that does more damage with a comparable crit range?

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you stick with longspear, you can eventually get a
    +4
    one as a reward for finishing the
    War of the Golden Skull
    quest.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Does the halberd give you the reach weapon attack radius?

I usually go with a glaive 1d10 with the reach radius and combat reflexes with great cleave and send him out so everyone has to run past him.

This fabled awesome longspear sounds intriguing. I need to think of which quest DaryK is speaking of.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

There are two spoilers in my previous post. And one here:
    The NPC who gives you the WoGTS will offer a variety of +4 weapons (more than a single screen worth). Or at least he did to my NG party under 7.0.

5. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I don't think a Halberd is a true reach weapon. You need to go with a glaive or a ranseur. Since the game cannot distinguish the donut hole reach weapons are suppose to have, they are the best weapons for melee characters with high STR, since you can attack close and far with the 1.5 STR bonus. I prefer the ranseur, if just for the crit animation.

Enlarge that Halforc for true carnage!

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I can testify that the longspear definitely gives you the reach advantage.

It's a beautiful thing when a fighter with a reach weapon, combat reflexes and great cleave gets started, next thing you know ... they're all dead. :tombstone

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I still do the random encounters with hordes of kobolds just to see it in action. It's a beautiful sight!

Our Host!