Beneficial bug with Spugnoir's familiar

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nyarlathotep, Apr 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

RUUSSK! Squeek squeek squeek.

Btw ... I'm pretty sure Minsc is a Ranger. ;)

2. silo25

silo25 Established Member

your right i meant ranger, its been too long

3. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

LMAO! No regular hamster, a miniature giant space hamster. :yes:

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I love that line where you ask Misc "Where" he hid the hamster ...

It would be easy to mistaken him for a barb with his "Berserker Strength" and all ... I quote;

Ah ha! You were just trying to make me mad, so I would break the bars with my "Berserker Strength".

Man, I might have to give BGT a quick run through now. ;)

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

"Butt Kickings for GOOD!"

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

Anyone else remember this? Moster Manuals for AD&D Second Edition, SpellJammer Appendix!

LOL, they had many versions of the Giant Space Hamster, and yes, the Minature one had the normal stats of a regular hamster. :p

On a different note, but keeping with bad-A familiars, in a PnP game I once had a Mongoose familiar who critally hit a Harpy and tore out her throat. (back when it was aawesome to get a "Crit - 00") He saved the Party. We had been attacked by 3 Harpies and managed to take out two (one wast just injured and unconcious) before all four party members becoame Charmed by the last one's song. We we are walking to the slaughter... then the Mongoose struck! And I had wanted an Winged Serpent for a familiar....

7. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I have an one of Spugnoir's familiars with me, and all of a sudden, the creature went invisible. Not a video issue, but the creature can not be selected in combat, does not show in combat, can not be talked to. I can select the creature with the portrait, and move him around and bring up his radial menu, but just blank circle runs around. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

8. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Hi HeJason
    I had this happen to me. Seems to be associated with meeting an Elf who rewards me for rescuing Sir Juffer & Lady Tilahi. Unfortunately it seems to reset the computer's PC/ NPC sensor as neither of my creatures turns up on the combat initiative bar any longer. I describe in further detail upthread. I was playing NC7.3.3 FWIW. Haven't really done much since- I'm wanting to have a go at 7.4 with a monk/ rogue stealth party, but part of me wants to get Ronald to 17th level (he was with the animal party) before I do.
    I wonder if levelling up again might reinstate things, but haven't had time to check.

9. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Leveling up doesnt fix it, and I couldnt force remove the critter with the console either.

10. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Just started a new party with a weasel NPC I named Gabriel. He's level 2 fighter/level 3 druid right now and kicking so much ass. Gabriel's attacks blood drain, doing constitution damage.

11. Bretzelfromhell

Bretzelfromhell Member

Heyy guys,

I hope that I browsed the forum thoroughly enough, but couldn't find any previous mention of that game exploit. About trampling the evil with an army of furry (or scaly) ubercuties, I found out an useful bug with charming and spell permanency removal (Jaroo). If you cast a successful charming spell on any foe/neutral npc, then teleport back to Hommlet and let Jaroo do his harmful healing on the newly gathered partymember, the instant kill/revive lets the said creature be free from any charming effect, while ressuscitating it as a true party member (not a NPC though, for it won't have any dialogue as being a random critter). It works very well on any humanoid, though services don't work when part of the group (tested that on Terjon, and even though all the dialogue options were available, the healings spells didn't operate-plus he hasn't any memorized spell).
    With monstruous creatures, sadly, the only guaranteed effect so far is an almost systematic CTD on resting or traveling via main map.
    I was planning on making an hydra rogue with multiple poisoned sneakattacks/a constitution drainer strige warrior/a grappler frog barbarian or some kind of wonderful pet, but the repeating CTDs are a serious threat to the viability of such a pokeful way of playing.
    I bet the only way to get through is to rest as few as possible, travel only via teleport and saving very often, but that could make the trip worth the expense...
    EDIT: If the creature you want to make to get a teammate out is too monstruous for Jaroo (i.e. he won't speak to you), just get this creature killed in a fight while charmed (don't even try yourself a single hit!); the portrait will remain and you'll be able to bring it back from planar heavens yourself or with Terjon's divine help.
    For some strange reason, in my last tryouts session, all monsters went back to life with 180 000+ XP (it may be a loop effect, since they are level 0 and they died at 0 XP, and loop effects are the way to numerous exploits in some games such as BG2, IWs and likes.)(7.5.0)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  12. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

I just found this thread and wanted to give my quick input. It was very easy to find the stat modifier of each familiar. And with the screenshots provided by other users I'll make a little list of the stats/modifiers for each familiar:

_____raven____owl____hawk___bat___cat____lizard___rat____snake__toad_weasel
    str____1(-5)___6(-2)____6(-2)__(-5)___3(-4)___3(-4)___2(-4)__(-2)___(-2)___(-4)
    dex__15(+2)__17(+3)__17(+3)_(+2)__17(+3)_15(+2)__15(+2)_(+3)__(+1)___(+2)
    con__10(+0)__10(+0)__10(+0)_(+0)__10(+0)_10(+0)__10(+0)_(+0)__(+2)___(+0)
    int____6(-2)___6(-2)____6(-2)__(-2)___6(-2)___6(-2)___6(-2)__(-2)___(-2)___(-2)
    wis__14(+2)__14(+2)__14(+2)_(+2)__12(+1)_12(+1)__12(+1)_(+1)___(-2)___(+1)
    cha___6(-2)___4(-3)____6(-2)__(-3)___7(-2)___2(-4)___2(-4)__(-4)___(-3)___(-3)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

I totally want a lizard running around! Call it Pascal!

14. vool

vool Member

I found the thread because this just happened to me, so I made a search. The thing is, this simply happened to me, I did none of the steps described above.

I was in the Temple level 4 and heading up to rest and resupply, when I saw the leveling up icon on the familiar. My wizard did *not* die, and she was *not* removed from the party. Both familiar and wizard are still in the party. The wizard is the pre-created PC Mialee.

While the other guys in the party have around 40.000 EXP, and are at levels 8-10, Mialee's raven familiar now has over 180.000 EXP, so it's clearly some bug. I'm using CO8 7.8.0 NC.

I've just spent five minutes levelling it up to a level 19 druid. It has spell level 8 (but there are no level 8 spells to select). It has 81 hitpoints. Should be awesome :yes:, but from what you all wrote I can expect crashes, so I'll probably revert to an older savegame.

Screenshot

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
Our Host!